420Ex on 350D, M mode with F/8, 1/150s, what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
I am reading up on flash techniques, is it true my 420Ex will try to output highest
power so that the picture is properly exposed? 300mm @ 1.5 meters distance, ISO
400 with TTL metering, FEC +1. but I didn't use H sync mode.

Not sure if this helps you but it works on my film SLR all the time.....

Set flash to TTL, set cam to M mode w/ desired Tv & A value where Tv cannot exceeds max. sync speed - you will still get perfect exposure. Reason being flash is in TTL mode. This method allows control of DOF (via A value) & ambience lighting (via Tv value). Learnt this from the web somewhere, just got to search for it.

Since you're using dSLR, there's nothing to stop you from testing it, isn't it?

dRebelXT said:
I am reading up on flash techniques, is it true my 420Ex will try to output highest
power so that the picture is properly exposed? 300mm @ 1.5 meters distance, ISO
400 with TTL metering, FEC +1. but I didn't use H sync mode.
What and where do you set M mode?

In Camera body or flash?

In the Camera body, M mode means Manual mode. You set aperture and shutter speed as you wish.

M in flash meaning Manual Power. Sometimes it is put as M 1/1 (full power), or M 1/4 (quarter power). Yes, M 1/1 will throw all flash's power.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
What and where do you set M mode?

In Camera body or flash?

In the Camera body, M mode means Manual mode. You set aperture and shutter speed as you wish.

M in flash meaning Manual Power. Sometimes it is put as M 1/1 (full power), or M 1/4 (quarter power). Yes, M 1/1 will throw all flash's power.

Regards,
Arto.

In the camera body. There ain't many variables pertaining to the 420Ex on 350D. When I needed control over aperture and shutter, then left with Flash exposure compensation.

dRebelXT said:
In the camera body. There ain't many variables pertaining to the 420Ex on 350D. When I needed control over aperture and shutter, then left with Flash exposure compensation.
It is depends on Flash's mode (eTTL, Manual, Auto, etc.) and also setting in camera (like aperture, ASA/ISO, shutter speed [more for flash's sync], etc.). You can try and review the result on your camera.

Actually I am confused, what actually do you expecting from that setting?

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.