420ex good enough for tabletop studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
hi everyone,
i'm trying to set up a small tabletop studio to take pictures of food at home and i need some advice on setting up.

i only have a 380ex and a faulty 420ex, and couple of ikea lights on the way (reflector, diffusers too).
To stretch my dollar, shd i fix the 420ex at canon (estimated costs?), or just use the money to buy a better flash? In the near future i hope to buy a remote trigger system for the setup too... maybe even do some outdoor shoots.

Im still learning how to light properly so i dont think i shd buy too much equipment. By the way i just blew my savings on a 40d...

Would really appreciate any tips from the pros out there.

thanks in advance...

yes, you can.

try not to use mixed light source, so you won't have trouble balance two type of color temperature.

you can use sync cable since it a table top set up, when you have more budget, go for wireless trigger.

do a search of DIY light tent in Clubsnap, it is good for table top set up.

hope this help.

are u planning to use ETTL to shoot? the flashes u have doesn't have manual controls right?

Actually quite embrassed to admit that my method is trial and error.
Expose the picture manually with one ikea light, off center, diffused with wax paper and bounced as key light (or is it fill?? :dunno:), use the 380ex as fill by bouncing off the white ceiling, diffused. take a couple of shots and adjust. play with the flash via the flash compensation on the 40d. Can spend the whole night adjusting...take abt 100 shots for a few tolerable ones. Maybe i'll post a picture once i work up enough courage :embrass:

420ex spoilt so havent used it in years... gonna repair at canon soon. hope it wont cost more than 50 bucks..

yup, considering that option but the costs are a bit too much for me right now...
so that leaves me with the broken 420ex and many late nights.

but the temptation to buy at least the 550 is really great right now... must fight the dark side...

yup...been trawling the buy and sell every hour...
but nothing yet...most are missing the stand. quite impt i think...

Status
Not open for further replies.