40d / D300

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohN-

Jan 26, 2008
guys which of the above should i choose? really in a Dilemma now. 40D + tamron 17-50 or d300 + 17- 50 ? which of this is better.:confused:

Is this going to be your first dSLR?

IMHO,
Go to the store and try both and see which one you like better. It's not about which one performs better, but which one matches your heart and style more.
Unless of course you believe that the photo is a product of the camera, instead of the photographer.

err yes. i gona be my first dslr.btw which store allows me to test the d300 and 40D?

just about any store would let you test the cams, just bring your own memory cards..

I was in the same dilemma.

I chose the D300 although it cost much more.

Pros: - Much more solid....better live-view operations, lower noise on higher ISO, higher specs, excellent motordrive speed, excellent grip.
Cons: Heavier, more expensive

40D Pros: Lighter, smaller, lower noise on <ISO400.

Basically the D300 is alot closer to a full pro body than a 40D, although both belong to the semi-pro category.

Pros: - Much more solid....better live-view operations, lower noise on higher ISO, higher specs, excellent motordrive speed, excellent grip.

Basically the D300 is alot closer to a full pro body than a 40D, although both belong to the semi-pro category.

I second that, melvinchen.

btw. does the d300 has lens suitable for it? like cannon ef s cannot work on cannon FF.

You can also consider the Olympus E3 or the Sony A700. Good cams as well.

I second that, melvinchen.

Same sentiments as lunas i think the 300 noise control is not better.

I had to make the same decision 4 months ago at the shop. I was all ready to pick up the 40D but after playing the two side by side and seeing how much better built is the D300 and confidence-inspiring, I ended up with the latter and $900 poorer. 4 months later, I still have absolutely zero regrets. It was additional money well spent.:)

The two dials on the body that controls the aperture and shutter speed make a lot of difference in term of control when you are shooting manual.

A lot lot of difference. What's more...Nikon lens + High ISO control. Solid build. No way the Canon 40D can compare. ;)

wah...first dslr is d300/40d ah?
I started off with pentax k100 then d80 now d200.
Pls note this:If the purchase of the d300 means you cant buy good lenses then start off with an entry-lvl dslr.
For example,D300+nikon 55-200 will NEVER even get close to the IQ of D40+nikon 70-200mm

Nikon lens + High ISO control. Solid build. No way the Canon 40D can compare. ;)

I'd say the Canon 40D has better high ISO.

and I prefer CZ lenses + same sensor as D300. ;)

good lens = 1k+ dun have that much budget. wad i am now looking for is a good able to last body. when i improve then i will change my lens as deem fit.

good lens = 1k+ dun have that much budget. wad i am now looking for is a good able to last body. when i improve then i will change my lens as deem fit.

It shd be lens on 1st piority and body next. A good lens will last u for years but a good body will eventually get outdate in a year or 2. Entry levels DSLR cam come out with new model each year. Semi-pro will change in every 2-3 years. U will seldom see MkII or MkIII on pro lens.

then if like that. 450D + 17-55 f2.8 would be a better choice?

then if like that. 450D + 17-55 f2.8 would be a better choice?

nah 450D + 17-40mm f/4L USM enough. and btw 450D isn't that bad of a camera :p

why do u say that 17-40 is enuff?

Because i think that's the usual walkabout lens? I think people will rather use the kit than to buy a f2.8. Please correct me if i am wrong ANYONE :p

Status
Not open for further replies.