400D underexposure calibration - what canon does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
i read on Dpreview that it is actualyl a very simple step to solve the 400Ds underexposure problem. its basically jsut a software adjustment that's all. and htat it's caused by incompatibility between the focusing screen and the canon software in the camera.

someone on dpreview had the software for some canon dslrs but not the 400D. does anyone know whether i can get the software? is it downloadable?

if not, how much does it cost to get CSC to calibrate my exposure. reaason being that my camera is the Kiss X that i bought from tokyo..and thus there is no warranty.

TIA :)

i think its free if you go CSC... iirc i think they have admit that it is their fault by having some problem with the material used for the focusing screen in China... due to poor QC or wat... :dunno:

i read on Dpreview that it is actualyl a very simple step to solve the 400Ds underexposure problem. its basically jsut a software adjustment that's all. and htat it's caused by incompatibility between the focusing screen and the canon software in the camera.

someone on dpreview had the software for some canon dslrs but not the 400D. does anyone know whether i can get the software? is it downloadable?

if not, how much does it cost to get CSC to calibrate my exposure. reaason being that my camera is the Kiss X that i bought from tokyo..and thus there is no warranty.

TIA :)

I not too sure about the cost for Kiss X as my was a local set. Maybe you would want to call Canon at 67998888 to check the cost before you send it down.

I can't be 100% sure, but i remember reading it from some other problem it is due to different material used in focusing screen in some batches

If i nv remember wrongly, i read online before that their various focusing screen come from various factory in Japan thus some will have to be calibrated to be suited for 400D/Kiss N/Xti.

wah cool. wonder if they'll issue a press release just liek they did for the powershot A series/ixus 400 500 750 sensors.

i tried calling them...but today is sat and i think theyre not working. as much as my set is without warranty, i dont feel too good paying for a blunder made by canon ;p but if die die must pay...then bo pian lor

wah cool. wonder if they'll issue a press release just liek they did for the powershot A series/ixus 400 500 750 sensors.

i tried calling them...but today is sat and i think theyre not working. as much as my set is without warranty, i dont feel too good paying for a blunder made by canon ;p but if die die must pay...then bo pian lor

The sensor issue was Sony's fault and sony is paying for the error ;p Sony T series and various other brands also face this issue.

I sent mine for calibration and took it back in 5 days. now exposure spot on.

The sensor issue was Sony's fault and sony is paying for the error ;p Sony T series and various other brands also face this issue.
:bigeyes: canon use sony sensor? :bigeyes: I tot even their PnS use canon sensor. :eek:

I sent mine for calibration and took it back in 5 days. now exposure spot on.

wahh my underexposure is very unpredictable. it's not like permanently 2/3 stops down etc, but rahter, sometimes its 1/3 stops, sometimes 2/3 stops, sometimes, 1 1/3. :bigeyes:

did u have to pay?

wahh my underexposure is very unpredictable. it's not like permanently 2/3 stops down etc, but rahter, sometimes its 1/3 stops, sometimes 2/3 stops, sometimes, 1 1/3. :bigeyes:

did u have to pay?

Under warranty, so FOC.

But how can you tell from the LCD that the scene is 1/3 under or 2/3 under?? try shooting outdoor like a green plant or mid tone subject, you should get a balance histogram, if you get left skewed histogram even on green plant, mean you have underexpose problem.

eh? i dont use the LCD? i just look at the histogram? doesnt the histogram tell u immediately how much under/over exposure u get? :)

:bigeyes: canon use sony sensor? :bigeyes: I tot even their PnS use canon sensor. :eek:

For the announced models, canon used sony's sensor but for the current batch I do not know coz nowadays no one put the sensor manufacturer name in their brochure anymore. Only for Canon they happily put Canon CMOS sensor ;p even nikon DSLR used sony and olympus uses kodak for the e300 and e500.

eh? i dont use the LCD? i just look at the histogram? doesnt the histogram tell u immediately how much under/over exposure u get? :)

Hey brother you will have to see what kind of picture you are shooting. If u try shooting from indoor during the day at a window being the centre of the pic, the rest of the photo except the window will be underexpose thus a distince left shift. Try shooting at a field or open area and see ur historgram. :)

Hey brother you will have to see what kind of picture you are shooting. If u try shooting from indoor during the day at a window being the centre of the pic, the rest of the photo except the window will be underexpose thus a distince left shift. Try shooting at a field or open area and see ur historgram. :)

oh yah. i misunderstood. yes, the pics im talking about are those that are taken outdoors. in MOST of my pics, outdoors or indoors, flash or no flash, they are underexposed. :)

I've got a simpler solution, you don't have to go anywhere. Adjust your EV to compensate(assuming you know how to).

adjusting EV would (1) reduce my shutter speed and (2) if i compensate by 2/3 EV (which is the amt of underex im getting now on avg), it means i only have 1 1/3 EV left on the scale to play with. so i dont think this is a logical solution. correct me if im wrong, but after a proper calibration by canon, i would get a correct exposure without a sacrifice in shutter speed.

oh yah. i misunderstood. yes, the pics im talking about are those that are taken outdoors. in MOST of my pics, outdoors or indoors, flash or no flash, they are underexposed. :)

adjusting EV would reduce my shutter speed. correct me if im wrong, but after a proper calibration by canon, i would get a correct exposure without a sacrifice in shutter speed.
I believe shutter speed would be reduced as well... since this is a problem with metering rather than processing of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.