400D to D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanyc168

Aug 23, 2007
Why you care?
Hi.

I have read the Nikon forum and would like to slot some help.

I am having a Canon 400D and 18-200 lens for sometime, to move on getting the Nikon D90 with a 18-105VR, does this move consider as an upgrade (in equipment)?:dunno:

Thanks very much.

What is it in D90 that you want and is not available in your 400D?

not meaning anything, but why switching brand? from an economical point of view, your lens and accessories will be wasted as well.... hence curious why you are switching brand ? :)

not meaning anything, but why switching brand? from an economical point of view, your lens and accessories will be wasted as well.... hence curious why you are switching brand ? :)

Switch from C to Nikon cause I feel that photos taken by C with 18-200mm is not sharp enough.

Though of changing to Nikon might be better, I knew I will have to sell at cheap for my 100mm MACRO, 18-200mm, 400D body and those batteries and filter alike. (It'a a pain too)

DO you think I am on the right track?

Thanks

I have never read before that N are any sharper than C... 18-200 sharpness is pretty decent... especially stopping down to f/5.6-f/8

perhaps u wanna try out a frenx's camera before you commit... changing brand is really a hefty decision...

personally, i'll just get a better lens... but thats me :)

Thanks

Only you would be able to answer this. It would be a YES if you become satisfied with the results you get as well as the feeling switching to the D90.

Do you think the sharpness issue of the photos you take is a limitation of the 400D+Lens? If you think so, I am sure a lot of people here would say otherwise. :)

I have never read before that N are any sharper than C... 18-200 sharpness is pretty decent... especially stopping down to f/5.6-f/8

perhaps u wanna try out a frenx's camera before you commit... changing brand is really a hefty decision...

personally, i'll just get a better lens... but thats me :)

Thank you and I shall reconsider, do you think the body playing apart beside the lens?:dunno: What if I change from 400D to 40D then cos' 50D is too costly now I think.

Thanks

Thank you and I shall reconsider, do you think the body playing apart beside the lens?:dunno: What if I change from 400D to 40D then cos' 50D is too costly now I think.

Thanks

i get plenty of acceptably sharp images from my 1000D + 18-55 kit lens. How sharp are you looking to get?

body definitely play a part in better image quality/control...

my previous camera was a 400D as well, it serve me well! Reason for upgrading to 40D was for the ISO performance, better control and bigger body (my hands are too big for 400D).. image quality wise.. if 40D is any better, it's not really noticeable.... as the sensor for 40D & 400D is similar...

but for sharpness wise, usually is the lens that is responsible :)

Last edited:
I think IMHO,

it's better to get use of the camera that you have already bought
and go play with it more. Discover more framing techniques, diff lens, etc.
No point changing the entire system when you can change just the lens.
I am using a 400D as well and I think the pictures are fine.

The sharpness of the image depends on how you shoot, the lens you use,
etc. :)

to switch because of sharpness wont help much...not camera to determine the degree of sharpness but person itself on how he do the setting..lens itself..so on...:embrass:

Dun waste money...how sharp do u expect? Are u shooting words or newspaper than zoom in to print? Most lens are ok and when used properly, no one can tell as long the photo is appealing.

Of course there are some super sharp lens out there. But if 18-105vr vs 18-200mmIS, i doubt there is a big difference.

People buy expensive lens is because some of the specs really help them to achieve the results they want...but there are people buy believingexpensive lens bring good results.

I was guilty too. Ha ha

Sometimes I buy the particular lens that af faster and silently, feeling good, I can have the passion to shoot more. he he. to get sharper picture, got to learn how to maximise the potential of what u owned already.

Last edited:
How's about playing around with some sharpening filters in PP? If it's sharpness you're looking for, likely that those will help more than switching system.

Switch from C to Nikon cause I feel that photos taken by C with 18-200mm is not sharp enough.

Have you noticed that you can change lenses? Have you safely eliminated all human errors? Have you changed camera settings? Have you properly assessed all possible errors due to wrong settings, handshake, lens errors? You might have done it but your posting sounds like looking at 2..3 pics and complaining. Post some pictures, let us help you to assess the situation before you do something ... less smart.

Though of changing to Nikon might be better, I knew I will have to sell at cheap for my 100mm MACRO, 18-200mm, 400D body and those batteries and filter alike. (It'a a pain too) DO you think I am on the right track?

No. You are on expensive "trial and error" with a minimum of systematic approach and a maximum of wasting money.

Though of changing to Nikon might be better, I knew I will have to sell at cheap for my 100mm MACRO, 18-200mm, 400D body and those batteries and filter alike. (It'a a pain too)

Thanks

Are you using the Canon 18-200mm lens? If yes, have you send your lens to Canon for checking first? :dunno:

Personally I am using the Canon 18-200mm, and although the IQ is not tact-sharp, but once you know how to use it the image IMHO is good... :)

Below are some of the shots taken by the lens: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481860

Have you noticed that you can change lenses? Have you safely eliminated all human errors? Have you changed camera settings? Have you properly assessed all possible errors due to wrong settings, handshake, lens errors? You might have done it but your posting sounds like looking at 2..3 pics and complaining. Post some pictures, let us help you to assess the situation before you do something ... less smart.

No. You are on expensive "trial and error" with a minimum of systematic approach and a maximum of wasting money.

First of all, a big thankyou for all BROS helping me, Here is my shots with 400D, Sigma 18-200mm DC OS. (Manual Mode)

My copy with Sigma F8, 1/80, 173mm, ISO 400:thumbsd:
3602772534_3a413dac13.jpg

My copy with Sigma F7.1, 1/1000, 42mm, ISO 200:thumbsd:
3569053137_f4cac3d034.jpg

Is there IQ between Canon 18-200 and Sigma 18-200 ??

Thanks Bros and Seniors

Both shots are perfectly usable to me. I doubt you'll see any difference (resolution wise) between the Sigma and the Canon if you don't pixel-peep (of which you should not do anyway).

First of all, a big thankyou for all BROS helping me, Here is my shots with 400D, Sigma 18-200mm DC OS. (Manual Mode)

My copy with Sigma F8, 1/80, 173mm, ISO 400:thumbsd:
3602772534_3a413dac13.jpg

My copy with Sigma F7.1, 1/1000, 42mm, ISO 200:thumbsd:
3569053137_f4cac3d034.jpg

Is there IQ between Canon 18-200 and Sigma 18-200 ??

Thanks Bros and Seniors

both pics shooting using manual mode? for first pic, shld use faster shutter speed.
I've having the same setting. The sigma 18-200 perform better if shoot at good lighting. For my copy F8 hv sharp nice pic. I suggest you looking into the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.