400D enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanz4

Mar 17, 2007
higuys i just bought my 400D ... played around with it and bought it to a play.... i just have some problem...

1. when the play was acted tried to snap some pictures it turn out most of it are blurry.... ( as ppl moved around a lot...)

which mode should i use.. explain clearly as im really a newbie

2. the play does not allow us to take pictures so i tried taking it without flash it turn out to be really really blur and sucky...

how to do it man?? how do u guys take picture of model moving around??? how to adjust the shutter speeed..

Problem
thats because the scene u are shooting is very dark.

So suppose now u are using iso 200 and Apeture priority mode in ur camera. When u shoot at the model, u will aim ur camera at the model rite? when u aim the camera at the model, the camera will automatically determine the optimum shutter speed to shoot the model properly.

As the scene is very dark, very likely u will be forced to use shutter speeds of 1/15s or 1/3s or 1s. At these slow speeds, human handshake will cause ur photos to be blur. and the WORST thing is, the model is moving!

Model movements + human handshake + slow shutter speed = TERRIBLE DISASTER !!!

Solution
there are 2 solutions to ur problem.

a. the zero-cost option.
increase the iso sensitivity of ur camera. For example as mentioned earlier, i assumed u are shooting at iso 200. If u increase ur camera to iso 800, the camera will have an increased of light sensitivity of 4 times. iso 200 to iso 400 = twice the light sensitivity. Then from iso 400 to 800 = another twice the light sensitivity.

what does increase in light sensitivity means? Now suppose u are shooting at iso 200 and apeture priority and the camera determined that the shutter speed to use is 1/15s to shoot the model properly. if u increase the iso to 400, u will be able to shoot at 1/30s. and if u further increase ur iso to 800, u will be able to shoot at 1/60s. For ur 400D camera, u can go to iso 1600 or iso 3200. Meaning, u can shoot at 1/120s or 1/240s !!!

As u can see u can shoot at faster and faster speeds, thus ur handshake problem will be much much reduced.

b. the more expensive option.
For this expensive option and the better option, buy a fast lens. normally a fast lens are those at apeture of f/2.8 or bigger.

Suppose u are using a lens that is f/5.6. A f/4 lens allows 2 times more light to enter the camera, while a f/2.8 lens allows 4 times more light to enter the camera!

So now suppose u are shooting at iso 200, apeture priority, f5.6, 200mm and the camera determined that the shutter speed to use is 1/15s to shoot the model properly. IF u have a f/4 lens, u will be able to shoot at 1/30s while maintaining at iso 200 and 200mm. BUT IF u have a f2.8 lens, u can shoot at 1/60s !!!!!

SO how do people shoot in dark scenarios?
They normally use high iso (800 or more) and use a fast lens (f/2.8 or faster)

for example, if u use iso 800 and f2.8 for the above scenario, u will be able to shoot at 1/240s.
IF u use iso 3200 and f2.8, you will be able to shoot at approximately 1/1000s, which is very very very very fast.

Note:

High iso maybe attractive, but it does have drawback. Generally at high iso (800 and above) u will start to see a lot of grains and the picture become noisy and ugly. Thus the best option is to shoot at low iso and use a fast lens.

For handshakes, you may be able to use monopod to reduce the effect. However, due to subject motion, this probably will not solve the problem. You have to use ISO 1600 and try to use as high a shutter speed as possible. Perhaps you can set the camera to manual or Tv mode and set the shutter speed to 100 or 200.

For handshakes, you may be able to use monopod to reduce the effect. However, due to subject motion, this probably will not solve the problem. You have to use ISO 1600 and try to use as high a shutter speed as possible. Perhaps you can set the camera to manual or Tv mode and set the shutter speed to 100 or 200.

thanks for the great reply i really do appretiate all this... just wanna know something... how to adjust the shutter speed.. ?

Problem
thats because the scene u are shooting is very dark.

So suppose now u are using iso 200 and Apeture priority mode in ur camera. When u shoot at the model, u will aim ur camera at the model rite? when u aim the camera at the model, the camera will automatically determine the optimum shutter speed to shoot the model properly.

As the scene is very dark, very likely u will be forced to use shutter speeds of 1/15s or 1/3s or 1s. At these slow speeds, human handshake will cause ur photos to be blur. and the WORST thing is, the model is moving!

Model movements + human handshake + slow shutter speed = TERRIBLE DISASTER !!!

Solution
there are 2 solutions to ur problem.

a. the zero-cost option.
increase the iso sensitivity of ur camera. For example as mentioned earlier, i assumed u are shooting at iso 200. If u increase ur camera to iso 800, the camera will have an increased of light sensitivity of 4 times. iso 200 to iso 400 = twice the light sensitivity. Then from iso 400 to 800 = another twice the light sensitivity.

what does increase in light sensitivity means? Now suppose u are shooting at iso 200 and apeture priority and the camera determined that the shutter speed to use is 1/15s to shoot the model properly. if u increase the iso to 400, u will be able to shoot at 1/30s. and if u further increase ur iso to 800, u will be able to shoot at 1/60s. For ur 400D camera, u can go to iso 1600 or iso 3200. Meaning, u can shoot at 1/120s or 1/240s !!!

As u can see u can shoot at faster and faster speeds, thus ur handshake problem will be much much reduced.

b. the more expensive option.
For this expensive option and the better option, buy a fast lens. normally a fast lens are those at apeture of f/2.8 or bigger.

Suppose u are using a lens that is f/5.6. A f/4 lens allows 2 times more light to enter the camera, while a f/2.8 lens allows 4 times more light to enter the camera!

So now suppose u are shooting at iso 200, apeture priority, f5.6, 200mm and the camera determined that the shutter speed to use is 1/15s to shoot the model properly. IF u have a f/4 lens, u will be able to shoot at 1/30s while maintaining at iso 200 and 200mm. BUT IF u have a f2.8 lens, u can shoot at 1/60s !!!!!

SO how do people shoot in dark scenarios?
They normally use high iso (800 or more) and use a fast lens (f/2.8 or faster)

for example, if u use iso 800 and f2.8 for the above scenario, u will be able to shoot at 1/240s.
IF u use iso 3200 and f2.8, you will be able to shoot at approximately 1/1000s, which is very very very very fast.

Note:

High iso maybe attractive, but it does have drawback. Generally at high iso (800 and above) u will start to see a lot of grains and the picture become noisy and ugly. Thus the best option is to shoot at low iso and use a fast lens.

thanks for the reply... for the lense.. wat are the best lense should i get for shooting for example a fast moving cars?? like F1 that are coming soon....heheh thought get prepared for them tooo..any recomendation... and flash wat flash is good too for model shoots in low lighting?/

thanks for the great reply i really do appretiate all this... just wanna know something... how to adjust the shutter speed.. ?
If you set the mode to Tv or M, when you rotate the dial, you will be changing the shutter speed.

RTFM!

u obviously haven't bothered to read up even a little bit if u're asking this qn.. either that or u're simply not even really playing around with ur cam. PLS DO READ.. at least ur manual. it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. it's not much, but at least it tells u what u can do and how to do it..

RTFM!

u obviously haven't bothered to read up even a little bit if u're asking this qn.. either that or u're simply not even really playing around with ur cam. PLS DO READ.. at least ur manual. it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. it's not much, but at least it tells u what u can do and how to do it..

yup.. pls read the manual.. exhaust the manual first..

thanks for the reply... for the lense.. wat are the best lense should i get for shooting for example a fast moving cars?? like F1 that are coming soon....heheh thought get prepared for them tooo..any recomendation... and flash wat flash is good too for model shoots in low lighting?/

for sports u have to prepared thousands for the fast like f/2.8 lens... generally sports and wild life PG are very expensive..

for flash, if low on budget, can get 430ex.. more budget can get 580ex.. 580exII too ex to get them now..

:thumbsup: to kcuf for a very nice & patient reply...interesting read.

And to the TS...yes do read the manual and a bit more...it's all there...i too started a newbie like you two weeks ago but was able to figure out shutter, aperture controls etc on the first night of playing with my cam itself. come on...try a li'l DIY too sometime...! :sweat:

i still havent figure out how to control aperture

i still havent figure out how to control aperture

It's in the manual.. they didn't print it for fun.

in Av mode, just rotate the main dial.
in M mode, press and hold the exposure button (next to the LCD) and turn the main dial at the same time.

NOW GO READ THE MANUAL.

It's in the manual.. they didn't print it for fun.

in Av mode, just rotate the main dial.
in M mode, press and hold the exposure button (next to the LCD) and turn the main dial at the same time.

NOW GO READ THE MANUAL.

thanks but how do i change both shutter speed and aperture together at the same timing?

thanks but how do i change both shutter speed and aperture together at the same timing?

simple.. get a 30D. 400D doesn't have a rear dial that allows u to do that..

or just use Av or Tv so u set one and the camera sets the other one "at the same time"

I think you should just spend one good sunday and read up the manual...:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.