40 years old is about right to expire....

Do you think you will be unemployed (wrt 9 to 5 kind of jobs...) by 40 years old?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting replies!! Keep it comin!

I think StreetShooter has got some useful advise there. Despite the public sympathy for Derek's blog, the reality is that if you do not plan ahead... changes are, you will hit that 40 and wonder where the job has gone. The current education system and "conventional wisdom" is that you Study - Get Paper - Get good job - Work hard - Happily ever after.... But in reality, the pace is going faster and every company is cutting cost. If you do not come up tops, you'd likely be replaced.

Starting your own business is of course another way to get out of this. And this takes time and some money.

Going overseas is also an option but only if you have skills required in that country. And if you can adopt the culture and system there.
;)

DeSwitch, ortega - Hehe! A retirement home for photogs?? Hahah sounds good! Can I burrow the 1200mm??:lovegrin:

haha.. old folks home... good idea. can generate income too.. Sure can. I imagine my self sitting in a wheelchair with a 1Dmk2 + 1200mm mounted. Laptop on anotherside. Or get prety nurses for model shoot. hahaha

haha.. old folks home... good idea. can generate income too.. Sure can. I imagine my self sitting in a wheelchair with a 1Dmk2 + 1200mm mounted. Laptop on anotherside. Or get prety nurses for model shoot. hahaha

at that time still using old tech?

pretty nurses :bigeyes: yeah good idea
I design their uniforms can?
sure to give the old fokes heart attack ;)

I am at the other side of 40...life is different here guys, my advice, start yr insurance early, put in 10-20% of salary as long term saving, pay up yr house mortgage early, dun buy too many cameras/lenses...

from karl marx:

" man lives to work"

:thumbsup:

There is money to be made everywhere in every trade. It is a matter of how you go make money.

The fella who sells Char Kway Teow near my place drives a Merc S320. While another Char Kuay Teow man who is a kilometre away drives a beat up panel van.

There is money to be made everywhere in every trade. It is a matter of how you go make money.

The fella who sells Char Kway Teow near my place drives a Merc S320. While another Char Kuay Teow man who is a kilometre away drives a beat up panel van.

The Char Kway Teow seller near my place pushes a cart. :)

The Char Kway Teow seller near my place pushes a cart. :)

Must be because his Ferrari needs to find covered carpark that is why he park far far then push cart with all the barang to the stall... :sweat:

Some of us are nearing 40 and feeling lost. Armed with a degree and several years of working experience but are not getting hired. Why? You tell me!:angry: I even heard that some men haven't even completed their reservist training at age 40. Ridiculous right?

Someone said, "do not be afraid to grow old, be afraid , be very afraid, be very very afraid when you have no money"

This is true in the real world. When you have money, it will be plain sailing whether you are young or old. When you have money you can enjoy, irrespective of age.

The problem of getting a new job with advancing age is an age old problem. Ask your parents. Ask your grandparents. Each generation will go thru the same process but each in a slightly different and changed enviroment.

Someone said, "do not be afraid to grow old, be afraid , be very afraid, be very very afraid when you have no money"

This is true in the real world. When you have money, it will be plain sailing whether you are young or old. When you have money you can enjoy, irrespective of age.

The problem of getting a new job with advancing age is an age old problem. Ask your parents. Ask your grandparents. Each generation will go thru the same process but each in a slightly different and changed enviroment.

Not true.

Some pple are rich , but unhappy. Some are poor but happy.
Yes, rich pple may have more options in terms of material wealth, but that is it. It boils down on what is individual expectation.

You have to define your own what is plain sailing - material wealth ? emotion wealth ? health ? relationship ? career ? etc. "money" is only one of the component in the equation.

Look forward to old age, there is no escape from it, so lets plan/work it out, and welcome it. :)

9-5 kind of Jobs?
Hahaha... Since I was 16, regardless of temp, part-time or full time job, I've never worked 9-5... Damn, I guess I must be expired, and I'm only 24...

Status
Not open for further replies.