4 MP Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

red88

Sep 28, 2003
Hi

I know this question is very common -- but please bear with me. Am looking for camera with the following features and am not sure which camera I should buy :

1) At least 4 MP
2) Storage media, preferably flashcard; if not, anything else but XD (XD's expensive mah)
3) Optical zoom - at least 4x
4) Minimal shutter lag i.e. time between pressing button and start up is slow
5) Movie mode with sound recording
6) Compact
7) Non digital like printed copies i.e. printed copies look 'REAL'. Some printed pictures taken with xx camera looked very digital
8) Minimal batteries used

Thanks a lot for the help..

Canon Ixus 40 using SD card? It'll meet all ur requirements (except for the 4x optical zoom - it has 3x).

I'm using Ixus 30 (the 3MP variant) and so far it has served my purpose well. 3MP is also enough for 8R prints (which is probably the max I would print). Higher MP simply translates to larger filesize and slower processing if you don't need to print big.

mpenza said:
Higher MP simply translates to larger filesize and slower processing if you don't need to print big.
This always be my excuse for the 1Ds MkII. hehe (in fact, i cant afford it.)hahaha

Anyway, me using Nikon Coolpix 4500. pretty good.

Canon Ixus 40 and A520 if you don't mind SD cards.

minimal shuttle lag? get an fz20.

Thanks thanks for the advice. I did go to dpreview.com for a look -- guess I was too overwhelmed by the choices. My budget's about SGD600. I haven't had the chance to check out the prices at Alan Trading, Cathay Photo and Holland Village shop.

Some queries I have :
1) I'm slightly biased against Nikon cameras. Reason being, I had a colleague who had Nikon camera. When he printed out those pictures, they looked kinda artificial i.e. very digital. A photoshop actually told me that of all the pictures he had processed so far, Olympus camera produced the most natural pictures..

2)Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 is highly recommended by dpreview.com. Is it bulky and judging by its performance, it should be in the high end right, say about >SGD1K?

3) I was contemplating Canon A520 and checked it out yesterday at Courts and the camera shop in Suntec. Both retailed about SGD545. However, dpreview mentioned that it has slow start up, slow flash recycle time and min 2 second for slot to slot.

Judging from it, it seems like DMC-FZ20 is a wise choice, given that it is also of Leica lens. Just wondering, is it very bulky -- from the picture, it seems so? Also, I read some reviews about 'Dim lcd screen, hard to see in bright light outdoors.', 'Sometimes hit or miss focus' ---- is it easy to use for an amateur -- am buying this for my brother who's backpacking in Europe?

Once again, thanks a million.....

Don't know if you have looked at the Panasonic FX7. I think it may meet most of your requirements, except that it has a 3x zoom (I think). This camera also got OIS - allows you to hand-hold at low shutter speeds.

For your budget, check out the Panasonic LZ2: 5MP, 6X Zoom lens, Image Stabilisation. Around $500 only. The Canon A series is good too but only 3X Zoom and no IS for around same price.

thanks.. does any one of you have an idea how much does Panasonic FZ20? coz I'm trying to see if there's great difference between FZ20 and LZ2. If not, I'll go for FZ20 coz it seems a very good camera.

Another question : where would you guys recommend me buy from eg Alan trading, cathay photo, holland village shop? thanks...

FZ20 is a tad too exp imho...go for the FZ5 instead :) as gd as the 20 but not as big and bulky...if I were ur bro I wldn't wanna tag a FZ20 arounf while backpacking hope that helps~

I think FZ20 cost abt $900 or less. My fren bought it at slightly above $900 3months back. You can go Cathay Photo to check out the camera and have a feel of how it is like. It might be a little bulky for a backpacker.:p

thanks again.. my bro did warn me not to buy a bulky camera for him :p

from dpreview, design of FZ5 is quite similar to FZ20 and almost the same features..if FZ5 is cheaper than FZ20, i'll definitely go for the cheaper old .. value for $..

Now am torn between LZ2 and FZ5.. prob is both cameras are really new and there aren't many reviews done about them so not very sure what's the pros and cons of these cameras. Other than dpreview, any ideas where else to get information?

mpenza said:
Canon Ixus 40 using SD card? It'll meet all ur requirements.

I'm using Ixus 30 (the 3MP variant) and so far it has served my purpose well. 3MP is also enough for 8R prints (which is probably the max I would print). Higher MP simply translates to larger filesize and slower processing if you don't need to print big.

I'd go with Mpenza's choice. The Ixus 40 is the best compact in its class at this time IMO - it will fit your bill nicely

red88 said:
Judging from it, it seems like DMC-FZ20 is a wise choice, given that it is also of Leica lens. Just wondering, is it very bulky -- from the picture, it seems so? Also, I read some reviews about 'Dim lcd screen, hard to see in bright light outdoors.', 'Sometimes hit or miss focus' ---- is it easy to use for an amateur -- am buying this for my brother who's backpacking in Europe?

Once again, thanks a million.....

It's a nice camera if you don't ask for too much out of it. A little bulky.
If you don't need the manual focus (by wire) or flash hotshoe, I'd recommend getting a FZ-4 or FZ-5 instead.
Same 12x zoom, pretty fast AF mech and only very slightly slower lens. F2.8 to F3.3 is less than half-stop.
If you don't need 5MP, please do get the FZ-4 instead. There's lower noise level to be had. Unless you're like me and would like a black model instead of a silver model.

Leica lens? Sorry to disappoint you.. It's Leica designed but not Leitz Weimar built. The optics are manufactured in Japan by Panasonic. Leica simply designed and provided the equipment to do QC on the lens units.

if not planning on using external flash, the choice is clear: Kyocera M410R!
quick start up. nice pics! good size CCD. sharp and contrasty!
(fyi: my 'c' brand point and shoot produces printouts with telltale digital colours you were mentioning..but not so with kyocera)

Hi..thanks thanks.. do you guys know what's the price difference between FZ4 and FZ5? coz if it doesn't differ much, might as well go for FZ5 - since it's 5MP. How about LZ2? Although its optical zoom is only 10x, it seems great good.

So am now torn between FZ4, FZ5 and LZ2.

Apparently Alan Trading's cheaper than Cathay Photo.. i asked for the prices of LZ2 and FZ5. They mentioned that FZ4's not out yet? Is that right? FZ5's about $672.

Status
Not open for further replies.