4 hours lay over in Hong Kong

msc2000

Feb 14, 2008
Hi,
I will be transiting via HK, and will have a lay over of 4 hours before my next flight. Any suggestions of places to go for an afternoon shoot, or some shopping in Hong Kong for about 3.5 hours?

Thanks.

MS

Hi,
I will be transiting via HK, and will have a lay over of 4 hours before my next flight. Any suggestions of places to go for an afternoon shoot, or some shopping in Hong Kong for about 3.5 hours?

Thanks.

MS

i think u go shopping (maybe camera stuffs) instead of shooting.... :p

4hrs just shop at their airports, they have quite a number of shops there

take a bus out to mongkok and do some shopping at camera shops there. round trip E21 bus is $HK58 i think. cheapest way to get there

go lantau island via cable car ride for shoot or shop @ citygate ~

take a bus out to mongkok and do some shopping at camera shops there. round trip E21 bus is $HK58 i think. cheapest way to get there

i'm not sure if 4 hours is enough for TS to take bus down to mongkok, shop and go back to airport.. might be a bit too rush though..

take the train/MTR go to Qingyi shopping center.

Take the MTR or bus service to Tung Chung MTR Station. You will find Citygate there, it's like an outlet shopping mall for apparel mainly.

take the train/MTR go to Qingyi shopping center.

chingyi is a better bet and there is a food republic food court there, albeit HK version! :bsmilie: good shopping and a lot of food outlets.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Didn't realize that this would generate so much interest.
I was told that a cab ride to City Gate would be a good idea.

Thanks for all you replies!

MS

I just came back from HK. The bus number is A21 and it costs HKD55 for round trip. It takes about 1 hour in each direction not counting time spent on waiting. So I think it is a bit rush.

I just came back from HK. The bus number is A21 and it costs HKD55 for round trip. It takes about 1 hour in each direction not counting time spent on waiting. So I think it is a bit rush.

I ageed 4 hours it is really rush...Be informed HK airport immigration is quite busy and usually with long queues. Getting in and out of the immigration can easily take you another 1 - 2 hours and that would leave you barely 1ess than 1 hours downtown.

The bus number A21 is correct and I used it quite frequently. In case you not aware the bus itself is WIFI-ready as I discovered last trip.

Turned on my Ipad and logged on to clubsnap while on the bus:thumbsup:

Take the Airport Express is fastest .....3 stops at Tsing Yi , Kowloon and Central (last stop)

as others have suggested go to Tsing Yi because

a. at Kowloon Station, the station is in middle of no where significant.... u still have to get a cab, in traffic, to go Mongkok or Nathan Rd or Tsimsashui or other places

b. at Central, IFC is huge but generally expensive area but easier if you have friends you want to catch up for a quick coffee or meal who are working that area

c. Tsing Yi has great shopping.... lots of food..... and nearest to Airport

d. Tsing Yi Station concourse is integrated with the Maritime Square shopping centre....HUGE place with lots of stores and shops

e. Tsing Yi Station is also VERY VERY near to the Lantau Link View Point .... this is wonderful place to relax and take in magnificent views of the giant bridges (Tsing Ma Bridge and the Ting Kau Bridge) and the Lantau Link Visitors Centre there is very nice with clean toilets and aircon too ..... you are in a beautiful park with majestic sweeping views of the islands and the sea and the air is good and great for photography if shopping is not your thing surprisingly not many tourists go here (most will be on a shopping rampage or visiting the other famous attractions ) BUT take it from me..... it is beautiful and well worth a visit

Tsing Ma Bridge is the world's longest spanning suspension bridge while the Kap Shui Mun Bridge is the world's longest spanning cable-stayed bridge supporting both road and rail traffic.

Fees: Free
Visitors Centre Opening Hours:
Mon to Fri 10:00 to 17:00
Sat, Sun and Public Holidays 10:00 to 18:30
Closed on Wednesday, except when Wednesday is a public holiday
Closed on Christmas, New Year's day and Chinese New Year's holidays
Viewing Platform: Sunday to Friday 07:00 to 22:30, Sat and Public Holidays 07:00 to next morning 01:30

f. IF for whatever reason you want to grab a quick tadxi ride back to airport instead of waiting for the Airport Exporess...... it is very cheap because its near to the airport .... especially true if you want to do Lantau Link View Point above in point 'e' and leave for the airport directly instead of going back to the Tsing Yi Station Airport Express

Dont forget........ your 4hrs is actually 2+ to 3 hours because it takes time to get OFF the plane when u arrive in HK (provided its not late which then means a shorter waiting period for the connecting flight) and it takes time to get past immigration

Go to Tsing Yi

Last edited:
e. Tsing Yi Station is also VERY VERY near to the Lantau Link View Point .... this is wonderful place to relax and take in magnificent views of the giant bridges (Tsing Ma Bridge and the Ting Kau Bridge) and the Lantau Link Visitors Centre there is very nice with clean toilets and aircon too ..... you are in a beautiful park with majestic sweeping views of the islands and the sea and the air is good and great for photography if shopping is not your thing surprisingly not many tourists go here (most will be on a shopping rampage or visiting the other famous attractions ) BUT take it from me..... it is beautiful and well worth a visit

4983342258_426de9e2a8.jpg

Go to the airport observation deck and "shoot" planes :sweatsm:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to alter my flight plans and will arrive HK in 12.15pm for transit. The connecting flight depart at 7pm, therefore, I will have about 6 hours in HK!

Need to re-evaluate my choices now. I am not much of a shopper, I would prefer to take in the sights or go Lamma Island.
Anybody got experience going to Lamma Island?

Thanks again.

Like what ed9119 has rightfully mentioned, remember that the little immigration stuffs can take longer than required. My trip back with jetstar took more than an hr to process till i got onto the plane. check in at terminal 1, long immigration and security queues, train to terminal 2, bus to the plane ..

When time is at a premium, I tend to be abit more reserved when it comes to taking boat visiting another island. With the more number of hours now, you can go visit Tsim Sha Tsui / Victoria Harbor / Tram ride to the Peak and take a few snaps on the top ( in quick time :bsmilie: ).

ryan

I would prefer to take in the sights or go Lamma Island.
Anybody got experience going to Lamma Island?

Thanks again.

drop the Lama island idea.... you have 6hrs from plane door to plane door..... and a trip to Lama is usually a whole day affair

The ferry services to Lama Island depart every 1hr plus and not accurate.... 10-12 times a day and each ride if i remember is about half an hour.......I think there is one on the ferry terminal at Connaught Rd and another one at Kowloon side

If you miss that ONE ferry and need to take the NEXT ferry, u can kiss your connecing flight goodbye.....half way on the ferry back if you kang cheong, you cannot jump into the sea and hop onto a taxi to rush to the airport

6hrs is a good amount of time to lay over in HK ..... it means extra couple more hours of enjoying ..... NOT wise to spend most of that extra time getting to even further away places ...... sorry, its illogical

BUT if you REALLY MUST......... HK Airport has a direct ferry service to Macau !!! 1hr plus each way including immigration ............ walk around 2.5 hrs and go back to airport

p/s My advise truly......dont be hard-up with the extra 4 or 6hrs ..... if you are connecting through HK from Singapore I am guessing you are on either Cathay or United ....... they allow a free stop-over in HK........ use that stop over when you RETURN after your main travel and on the way home ..... lay over for an overnighter or 2-4 days and save yourself the stress...

Last edited:
IMO
You should stick with ed's advice:
Hang around the airport. Its very Singaporean to try and squeeze as much as you can out of the time you have. But if you miss a flight, then you will have plenty of time to reflect on it as you rue the time and money wasted.

Food for thought, cheers.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to alter my flight plans and will arrive HK in 12.15pm for transit. The connecting flight depart at 7pm, therefore, I will have about 6 hours in HK!

Thanks again.

Eh... OT a bit . Do you have to pay additional airport tax, if you leave the airport?