4 Days Chendu Jiu Zhai Gou

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaho

Oct 17, 2007
Singapore
Hi,

I am Planning to go Chendu/Jiu Zhai Gou for 4 days in November. I would need some advise on iterinary and travel guides contact if possible.

Ps. Am starting a new thread because I have look through the forum but didnt seems to find a lot of info about the location.

Last edited:
Four days for the trip is too short as it is a distance from Chengdu to Jiu Zhai Guo. Doesn't leave alot of time to do much. I have not been to Jiu Zhai Guo so it is better for others to comment on how to get there.

Perhaps you can contact Sim's Cozy Garden Hostel in Chengdu for help is all else fails. It is run by a Singaporean. Google for them.

1day reach chengdu n fly to jzg, 2day tour, 1day jzg fly to chengdu and back to sing. Too tight, if u miss any flight connection tats it. And 2day tour in jzg, dun waste ur time, totally not enough.

1day reach chengdu n fly to jzg, 2day tour, 1day jzg fly to chengdu and back to sing. Too tight, if u miss any flight connection tats it. And 2day tour in jzg, dun waste ur time, totally not enough.

I am actually hitting Jiu Zhai Guo from Shenzhen.. and then going to hongkong.. so I am fexible to spend more time..

can I know which are the places good for visits ?

huanglong
5-colored lake at attitude 3.8km above sea level. take a cable car [own cost] up,
JiuZhaiGou
Songpan Ancient fortess to take photos.

Any other?

Rgds

jason

Hey went JiuZhai HuangLong last August. For me, 2 days at the town is enough.

I flew to JiuZhaiGou in the morning on day one. Went straight to Huang Long with all our bags. We met a helpful taxi driver who became a chauffer for our entire trip there.
Took a cable car up to Huang Long. Walked around + snap photo for 4 hours. Checked into hotel at night.

Second day, visited Jiu Zhai Gou heritage site. Spent 6 hours at the park. There are internal shutlle busses to bring you from one scenic spot to another. Stayed for the night and headed back to Chengdu the next morning. Do remember to try "Niu Rou Good!" ahahahha you'll understand once you get there.

Oh note to add. I had bad experience with the domestic flights (to and from JiuZhai) both were delayed for 2 hours at least.

Last edited:
if you have 2 days, skip songpan. there's no real fortress there, unless you are into modern looking city wall.

Day 1: Take a morning flight to Jiuzhaigou Airport and visit Huanglong on the same day. Then travel to Jiuzhaigou and stay for a night.
Day 2: Visit Jiuzhaigou. If I'm not wrong, the park open at 7am and close at 6.30pm. There is only 1 makan place at Nourilang. If you want more time for shoot, can bring your own lunch.
Day 3: Travel to Songpan.
Day 4: Flight back to Chengdu.

Brian is right. Nothing much in Songpan. Can give the place a miss.
It's very common for Jiuzhaigou flight to delay.

I'm going to chengdu/JZG in nov too! Will be there 1st week Nov for 8 days. :) I'm planning to follow the recommendation given by u guys and spending the rest of the week in chengdu. What do u guys think? Dun think I have time for Leshan, Emei or the Panda Sanctuary Reserve do I?

I'm considering to go to JZG for road. Do you guys think that's a good idea?

Another thing is the temperatue in JZG. How cold will it get? Will it snow? Any good hotels with good heating to recommend?

Thank anyone for any advice! :)

Chengdu to JZG by road is a long 12 hour bus ride, but the terrain can be quite interesting. 12 hours and many stops for the bus to fill up on water. Normally buses to JZG are full of slightly more civilized people, mostly tourists, so people don't smoke in the bus too much. But they still nimble on chicken feet and goose wings. If you're not used to it, can get quite dizzy. Is it a good idea? If you have time, I think it is. Scary and beautiful at the same time.

In Nov, JZG is cold in the morning up till about noon. That's because its a valley surrounded by high mountains, so it stays in the shade till around noon, when temperature goes up to about 10C. Morning sometimes 0C. Don't worry about hotels. JZG is full of 5 star hotels. IF you want to be sure you don't suffer, avoid the local hotels. BTW, November is low season in JZG, so some of the local/cheaper hotels are closed. Check online before going. Book before hand.

personally I would prefer to spend 2 days in JZG(I spend 1 day and regreted it) ....huang long can be visits on the same day ur flt land.
if stay in the 5star 九寨天堂hotel....the hotel building is the same as those song pan ...so u can give song pan a miss.... unless u wanna go there for a 1 day horse ride......

nov will be cold(zero and below....one of my fren went to stay inside the JZG houses belong to the native( the JZ native) ...he told me freeze to his balls(no offence to gals) ...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the infomation....

I will do some research based on your feedbacks and post my questions..

I am actually going there with my family.. no old folks though but there are 9 of us..

I am the only photo enthusiast around so the trip might be more sight seeing and touch an go. Thanks.

Rgds

Jason

Hi Guys,

I am actually going there with my family.. no old folks though but there are 9 of us..

I am the only photo enthusiast around so the trip might be more sight seeing and touch an go. Thanks.

Rgds

Jason

In that case, I would suggest you get a vehicle and driver from Chengdu and travel by road. It will be cheaper, more fun and more flexible.

I maybe going to Jiuzhaigou too in Nov. We will be traveling by road.

FYI, pls do note that if the weather is bad the auth may decide to close the path. Do take that into consideration.

From what I read from the noticeboard I last read it open at 0700 to 1700hrs hope I get it right.

You can buy multiple entries tickets if you wish to do next day visit and it is cheaper.

HTH

Just to share my experience - 4 days is really rush.

I was there on package tour - to really spend sometime to photograph the JZG, you need at least 2 FULL Day.

And you got to pray for good weather.

:)

I have been to Chengdu, JuiZhaiGou and HuangLong area. It's absolutely beautiful and 4 days is DEFINITELY not sufficient as travelling would take up quite a bit of time, and you won't have time to do justice to the trip, i.e. to capture some nice shots. November is a little late unless you want to capture 'winter' scenes. Mid Oct is ideal as the autumn colours are so vivid (click on the following links if you wish to take a look at some shots I took a couple of years ago).

http://picasaweb.google.com/Freddie...?authkey=Gv1sRgCMrVu7fc0-TVOQ&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/Freddie...?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXpyqCyjL_CVg&feat=directlink

If you are not joining a tour group, best is to arrange for a local guide from Chengdu and then do it free-n-easy from there.

Good luck.
Fred

Hi Guys,

Rgds

Jason

Jason,
If you are a photo enthusiast as you claim you are, then I suggest you make this trip in the following ways:
1. Leave your camera at home, don't even carry a camera phone.
2. Bring along your camera and leave your 'excess baggage' aka family behind. :D;p;)
Pardon me as I believe anyone who has a camera, whichever type it may be, will definitely be forgiven for wanting to 'grab' all that heavenly scenary :)
I was just there last week and since I joined a tour group, I have must to desire on the photo shooting opportunity and timing.
If I were to have the choice, I would have done the following having known more now whether you reach JZG by road or by air otherwise stay one night before ascending Huanglong (considering the notorious flight delays):
1. Be at Huanglong early. Before lunch and have lunch packed. We reached there only at 3 plus in the afternoon. There was no way I could have made it to the top and be back down before the place is closed at 6 plus. I met a couple at 5 pm as they made their way down, they started the climb at 1 pm.
2. Similarly, be at JZG as early as possible, pack lunch as suggested. Unlike Huanglong where it is a single way up/down by foot (discounting cable car where there is nothing to see enroute), buses bring you to places in JZG, it may be necessary to allow 2 days in order to cover adequately and leisurely, influence of weather not considered yet. Hopefully the crowd really dwindles by Nov as it would be quite a task to have your family getting onto the crowded buses.
Btw, weather in JZG/Huanglong is very unpredictable. It was -2 deg C and snowing when I was there so staying outdoor in freezing temperature is another consideration to be mindful of for your family.
I sincerely hope your schedule allows you more days over there as it is truly a very nice place to be. Both your family and you will enjoy the scenary. I personally am already planning to go there again next year with these lessons learnt.
Enjoy your trip.

Hi SK1968,

Thanks for providing your experience.. can share link to your photos?

Life's been crazily busy for the past 2 weeks. But I am now sparing more time in JZG after hearing sounding advises..

In a nut shell , it seems that we need a complete day for JZG and another for Huanglong . Finally of course another day for buffer in case of delays.

Btw, for the 3 nights I am there, I will be staying in Jiu Zhai Paradise. So is it possible to get down from JZG to huanglong and return to JZG or infact are they in the same area?

Rgds

1. Be at Huanglong early. Before lunch and have lunch packed. We reached there only at 3 plus in the afternoon. There was no way I could have made it to the top and be back down before the place is closed at 6 plus. I met a couple at 5 pm as they made their way down, they started the climb at 1 pm.
2. Similarly, be at JZG as early as possible, pack lunch as suggested. Unlike Huanglong where it is a single way up/down by foot (discounting cable car where there is nothing to see enroute), buses bring you to places in JZG, it may be necessary to allow 2 days in order to cover adequately and leisurely, influence of weather not considered yet. Hopefully the crowd really dwindles by Nov as it would be quite a task to have your family getting onto the crowded buses.

Great advise! I am just back from there 2 wks however i missed Huanglong due to delay in flight :( 4 hours delay due to weather condition. By the time i reached JiuHuang Airport it was already 3 pm and we were advised to just skip the trip to Huanglong as we will not be able to cover much before it closes and would tire ourself only. It was a major disappointment in my trip but JZG was heavenly so it kinda makes me feel happy hahaha

some pics to share =)

http://vintanck.multiply.com/photos/album/30/Jiu_Zhai_Gou

cheers,
kilkenny

Hi SK1968,

Thanks for providing your experience.. can share link to your photos?

Life's been crazily busy for the past 2 weeks. But I am now sparing more time in JZG after hearing sounding advises..

In a nut shell , it seems that we need a complete day for JZG and another for Huanglong . Finally of course another day for buffer in case of delays.

Btw, for the 3 nights I am there, I will be staying in Jiu Zhai Paradise. So is it possible to get down from JZG to huanglong and return to JZG or infact are they in the same area?

Rgds
Hi Jason,
Kilkenny's definitely many many times nicer.
Oh, you can also see Pauche's thread. He has a very comprehensive coverage on his trip.
I am still working on my photos :( but some are here at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sk1968/sets/72157622557620399/ Still not happy with the sharpness yet. Perhaps someone can give me some tips :)
I stayed at JiuZhai Paradise too....very beautiful :)
I think the distance between HuangLong and JZG is kind of far. Not possible to cover in a day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.