4/3 accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
hi serene, this is the new thread where we can put in our discussion on the 4/3 sys.

ok, back to the topic, can u tell me what focus problems users r facing when used with the adaptors?

:)

seriously, if u can get that adaptor at a cheaper price, get one for me, i think i can take that risk. :bsmilie:

Hello Nightpiper,

Thanks for starting a new thread on lens adapters for the Four Thirds System.

Just like to clarify Caussway's point on the potential of such a lens adaptor. Speaking for the MA1 adapter for OM lenses which I have, the lens continues to operate at its maximum aperture; unlike a teleconverter, the mount does not rob any F-stops from the lens. However, Olympus recommends stopping down the lens one to two stops from maximum to obtain better resolution. This is especially so for zooms which generally resolves worse than prime lenses.

Also since there's no mechanical linkage with the E1/E300 for aperture control, the lenses operate at stop-down mode meaning that when you reduce the aperture to obtain good resolution, you contend with a dimmer viewfinder to manual focus with.

But for those who value the build quality, colour rendition of the Leica's & Zeiss glass (and OM of course), it's may be fair trade-off.

Just repeating what Kahheng has said in an earlier E1 thread, Zuiko digital lenses hold detail & sharpness edge-to-edge at maximum apertures. With the first batch of lenses that are drip & dust resistant, you have a resonably compact, high performance & really walk-around anywhere photography system.

Lastly, I have not experienced any focussing problem with MA1 adapter for the OM lenses. Unfortunately, I afraid I can't speak for the Kindais.

Hope I'm not repeating myself on any points above.

Regards.

thank you for sharing your experience, chancy. :thumbsup: i m holding on to some nikon glass from F80 & therefore looking for opportunities to use them on the new E1 which i bought with the promo price. :vhappy:

so where did u get the OM adaptor? from Oly? need to pay? the other thing i like about E1 is that the meter still works when the lens is 'decoupled' from the contacts.

not sure about the details & sharpness from edge to edge at any aperture but my 14-54 has vignetting when open to F2.8, also i find the details not as much as i would expect. nevertheless, it still beats the hell out of the canon & nikon kit lens. :bsmilie:

so, is the old Zuiko performing well in the new digital era? ;p u like them? can't wait to get my hands on the 4/3-nikon adaptor.

(ps. serene, since u r at it, can u also find out whats the price of the new FL36 flash? currently, i m using my friend's FL40 which is not so good on the E1. thx a million.)

nightpiper said:
thank you for sharing your experience, chancy. :thumbsup: i m holding on to some nikon glass from F80 & therefore looking for opportunities to use them on the new E1 which i bought with the promo price. :vhappy:

so where did u get the OM adaptor? from Oly? need to pay? the other thing i like about E1 is that the meter still works when the lens is 'decoupled' from the contacts.

not sure about the details & sharpness from edge to edge at any aperture but my 14-54 has vignetting when open to F2.8, also i find the details not as much as i would expect. nevertheless, it still beats the hell out of the canon & nikon kit lens. :bsmilie:

so, is the old Zuiko performing well in the new digital era? ;p u like them? can't wait to get my hands on the 4/3-nikon adaptor.

(ps. serene, since u r at it, can u also find out whats the price of the new FL36 flash? currently, i m using my friend's FL40 which is not so good on the E1. thx a million.)

Nightpiper,
Pls do me a favour - give me a list of what accessories you want me to check the prices, if possible provide a link. Then I will find out all at once coz this saves time. Thanks :)

sorry for the mess, serene.

i need the adaptor, FS-2 grid focus screen & the FL36. other accessories can wait.

thousand of apologies. :p

nightpiper said:
sorry for the mess, serene.

i need the adaptor, FS-2 grid focus screen & the FL36. other accessories can wait.

thousand of apologies. :p

Nightpiper
I am not upset at all, so pls don't apologise. Since I am very green horn, pls provide me link to the grid focus and FL36. BTW, I hv sent in the request for the 4/3 mount quote. Am I right that this is for Nikon F? :embrass:

Nightpiper,

This is the link to the shopping cart (for kindai). The price is based on wholesale price. Need you to confirm if this mount is the right one.
http://www.kindai-inc.co.jp/tsuhan/index.html

Price is 16,800円 Approx $270 (based on today's rate)

Thanks

hi serene, didn't see the nikon F mount thingy. only saw leica L, M42-nikon, OM-EOS & nikon-EOS. no 4/3-nikon F. cudn't find anywhere that says 4/3 body adaptor. m i not reading it correctly?

no 16800 yen product either. if u can find a 4/3 body to nikon F mount adaptor at the price of $270 or less, get one for me. :)

Hi nightpiper,
Pls see this link again. This is where the Nikon F to 4/3 adaptor is.

http://www.kindai-inc.co.jp/tsuhan/index.html

The problem is that despite the fact that I copy the url, you might be directed to another page using the same url. You need to go to start shopping and then navigate to the mount category. Once I got a quote, I will let you know.

Thanks

ok, will check that again. btw it must be a 4/3 to Nikon & not the other way round. i intend to use the E1 with Nikon lens. so if u get a nikon to 4/3 instead, that wud mean i am using the Nikon cam with Zuiko lens, which is not my intentions. or unless i m not interpreting the website or u correctly? but u get what i mean, right. :)

thx again!! :cheers:

(edited: i saw it at the shopping catalogue & when i click put in cart, the price showed 16800yen. did iclick on the bulk purchase?)

Hi Nightpiper
Thanks for being conscientious. I hv double checked again. It says Adaptor for use on a 4/3 body (ie, E-1). There is a drop down to choose - Nikon, contax, etc.
I understand this to mean that you have a 4/3 body (4/3 rings are all the same, is my understanding correct?) and you would like to fit XX maker's lens onto this 4/3 body. So, this should be the right one. If fine, I will make an enquiry.

BTW, for your flash, I saw it at eBay - perhaps you would like to do a search.

Hello Nightpiper,

I understand that Olympus claims that the new circuitry in the FL36 allows it to work on pair of AA batteries. I belief this suffices for trip photos where the flash is used ah-hoc.

My experience with using the FL50 is that even on a set of 4AAs, when shooting wedding especially for walk-ins, the recharging between flashes takes considerable time and moments have been missed. I know that Oly provides an external powerpack for the FL50, but the specs for the FL36 does not seem to support this option.

IMHO, the 2AAs in the FL36 may not keep pace with fast paced shooting. But if you're using it for travel photography, the portability can be beat.

Lastly, the guide number for the FL36 is 36 only at the 42mm, my FL50's guide number is 50 at 42mm and only 40 at 25mm, the general rating focal length (in 4/3 terms) for determining flash output. Maybe the lower output of the FL36 will improve recycling time.

Just my little note, ignore if you already taken these into consideration.

Cheers,

serene said:
Hi Nightpiper
Thanks for being conscientious. I hv double checked again. It says Adaptor for use on a 4/3 body (ie, E-1). There is a drop down to choose - Nikon, contax, etc.
I understand this to mean that you have a 4/3 body (4/3 rings are all the same, is my understanding correct?) and you would like to fit XX maker's lens onto this 4/3 body. So, this should be the right one. If fine, I will make an enquiry.

BTW, for your flash, I saw it at eBay - perhaps you would like to do a search.

please do, the enquiry part. u r correct. :)

those ebay prices r scams (seen too many ebay/yahoo frauds). the flash is not out yet in other parts of the world. was hoping Oly release it first in japan on the 15 nov.

hi chancy, i m using the FL40 & find that the recycling time very fast. so i thot the FL36 wud be equivalent. i do believe the FL50 is fast too & everyone who owns it say its worth every penny. :) i have touched it & feels that its too bulky, was hoping the FL36 is the answer.

Hi Nightpiper,

Ogisaku did not reply me so I sent an email to Kindai to reconfirm that the adaptor is for use on a E-1 body. Shall keep you informed when I hear from them..

serene said:
Hi Nightpiper,

Ogisaku did not reply me so I sent an email to Kindai to reconfirm that the adaptor is for use on a E-1 body. Shall keep you informed when I hear from them..

arigatou gozaimashita!! :p

Hi Nightpiper

Kindai replied just and confirmed the following
(1) The adaptor is for use on a E-1 body. It is used for changing different types of other brand lenses.
(2) There are currently 8 types of adaptor for the E-1
(3)Order is fulfilled within a week (up to delivery)

If you are keen, pls pm me. I think most likely my Japan colleague will consent.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.