3rd Photo4Critique - Fortune Teller - Focus on Man or Bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClemC

Jun 12, 2010
Within myself
5248047343_cbee3a43c6.jpg

5248650404_30d5c45bc0.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Main C & C requested on "Point of Focus", "area of Focus". Would you have focus on Man or Bird, please elaborate on your thinking.. If you have major concern on the post-processing done, you can C & C as well..

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
A shot of Life@SG

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Late afternoon, the challenge was getting enough light on the person.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
do like to capture such moments of Singaporean at work :)

The blur on #1 is rather obvious compared to #2. I liked the focus on the man because focusing on him would show his emotions at that point in time when he's working. If the focus was on the bird, it would've been a different story, though creative. My two cents.

I think you could have tried for a third shot, with the man and the bird in focus. But personally, i think in both cases, a nice capture is possible, with the story of the bird and the story of the man in 2 different shots, though i personally feel #2 has to be recomposed. The bokeh on the bird is rather distracting.

Given the two options, I think focus on bird is nicer, but only because the bird looks like a green blob in the second which makes it distracting.
I do agree with Nashaz, that it would be better if both were in focus, especially since you want to capture 'Singaporeans at work' and the essence of that is shown both in the man's face and the bird.

Personally, I think its a matter of your concept and theme. In this case you wanted to showcase "singaporeans at work", then I would suggest the focus be on the man but increase the DOF by using a smaller aperture to get the bird to be slightly clearer. If your theme was "Tools of the Trade", then I would say focusing on the bird would be a better match for the theme :)

The blur on #1 is rather obvious compared to #2. I liked the focus on the man because focusing on him would show his emotions at that point in time when he's working. If the focus was on the bird, it would've been a different story, though creative. My two cents.

I think you could have tried for a third shot, with the man and the bird in focus. But personally, i think in both cases, a nice capture is possible, with the story of the bird and the story of the man in 2 different shots, though i personally feel #2 has to be recomposed. The bokeh on the bird is rather distracting.

Given the two options, I think focus on bird is nicer, but only because the bird looks like a green blob in the second which makes it distracting.
I do agree with Nashaz, that it would be better if both were in focus, especially since you want to capture 'Singaporeans at work' and the essence of that is shown both in the man's face and the bird.

Personally, I think its a matter of your concept and theme. In this case you wanted to showcase "singaporeans at work", then I would suggest the focus be on the man but increase the DOF by using a smaller aperture to get the bird to be slightly clearer. If your theme was "Tools of the Trade", then I would say focusing on the bird would be a better match for the theme :)

Thanks for all the C & C.

Let me try to summarise:
If title/subject is related to man.. then #2
If title/subject is related to bird.. then #1

For #2, would be better if the DOF is not so shallow, or desaturate the bird MORE..
Another matter I would like to bring out, is that the background is a little tooo distracting, having a not-so-shallow DOF will also bring the background into focus.. I personally would also prefer a slightly less-shallow DOF..

Can I ask for your opinion again, if there is no description/title/explaination.. which picture will tell a story on its own?.. or none of them tell a story? Thanks again.

You see the bird, the man, his outstreached hand (within reach of the bird) and the chain.
Go figure :)
Good story can be found there....

i'll take both focused too. put them on the same plane would be nice.

or else if i have to pick one? the bird:thumbsup:

if you must choose, i would choose the first over the second. the second simply looks like a man with a oof extra bird in the picture.

that said, why not just increase the dof and shoot both relatively sharp? :)

You see the bird, the man, his outstreached hand (within reach of the bird) and the chain.
Go figure
Good story can be found there....
I do have a better shot of the man, his outstreached hand to catch the bird and chain.. got the story@@...:) Thanks

i'll take both focused too. put them on the same plane would be nice.
or else if i have to pick one? the bird:thumbsup:
Same plane will be an interesting shoot.. guess I will need the man to pose with his head close to the table level .. will try and ask next time :) .. if not choice, then bird.. Thanks..

if you must choose, i would choose the first over the second. the second simply looks like a man with a oof extra bird in the picture.
that said, why not just increase the dof and shoot both relatively sharp? :)
Got it.. if not choice, then bird.. Thanks

Allen & Nightmare - got it.. BETTER to increase DOF to have both relatively sharp :) .. With increase DOF, the picture will tell a better story..

Last edited:
Bro, I think the photo sort of misses the mark in terms of telling the story about the man.
The bird doesn't really give any clue that he's a fortune teller (to me at least). Maybe including some of the stuff on the table would give it more context. He's got that pained expression on his face too, like he's ready to give it to you :) If he looked more happy, or deep in thought, that would be preferable.

But anyway if made to choose between your 2 photos, I'd say the bird.

Bro, I think the photo sort of misses the mark in terms of telling the story about the man.
The bird doesn't really give any clue that he's a fortune teller (to me at least). Maybe including some of the stuff on the table would give it more context. He's got that pained expression on his face too, like he's ready to give it to you :) If he looked more happy, or deep in thought, that would be preferable.

But anyway if made to choose between your 2 photos, I'd say the bird.
Bro ZCA - thanks for popping by.. Yes.. agreed it is also a little toooo tight.. and increased DOF would be better.. As for the man, I guess I need to take up his "fortune-telling" service before he will smile/pose for me.. LOL.. next visit, will bring kopi with me :)

Bro, now you understand why I said in the TCSS thread that I have yet to get my "good "shoot in Little India/Chinatown.. Will bring a paper to cover the mirror on the bird-cage, bring a little bit of light as well.. etc...

Last edited:
What you did here is nice. I would rather have the bird blur out. The bird creates a lead line towards the man and from one look i know he is a fortune teller. Nice effort here. Very nice documentary shot you got here. Keep it up!!!

What you did here is nice. I would rather have the bird blur out. The bird creates a lead line towards the man and from one look i know he is a fortune teller. Nice effort here. Very nice documentary shot you got here. Keep it up!!!
u dig out a two-months old thread.. LOL.. I have even removed one of the pics.. LOL.. thanks Bro for your comment.. as mentioned.. fortune teller.. not tooo happy.. will do a reshoot.. with a happier fortune teller and not so shallow DOF..

Guess I better close this thread as I have alreadi remove one of the pics.. guess you cant compare which is better, or both bad now.. thanks again for your earlier comments

Status
Not open for further replies.