3rd party teleconverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatswood

Mar 15, 2004
Can someone recomend me a 52mm 2x teleconverter? Which brand is good? Cost how much?

Most 2x teleconverters (front-mounted ones for digicams) are meant for video cameras and would degrade the image quality so much that you would not want to use it. They also perform less than 2x (usually 1.3x).

Anyway, you don't need 52mm ones as step up rings are cheap and allow you to use larger ones. A good one is Olympus TCON17 1.7x tele which costs ~$140.

Agree that those cheap (around $80) 2X telecon sux big time. Tested in shops, looks like only 1.2 to 1.3X. TCON17 is a pretty good one. Wow AP quoted me $165 for that. Phew lucky didn'y buy. Any other recommendation for telecons?

renegade said:
Agree that those cheap (around $80) 2X telecon sux big time. Tested in shops, looks like only 1.2 to 1.3X. TCON17 is a pretty good one. Wow AP quoted me $165 for that. Phew lucky didn'y buy. Any other recommendation for telecons?

So, is this for 55mm??

Since we are in the topic of converter, may I ask about Wide Angle converter too? as in which type and brand is good and also the price if possible :)

FYI: I'm using S5000

TCON17 is 55mm threaded. For wide-angle converter, can consider the Olympus WCON07 0.7x which costs ~$180. But do try out first and look for any dark corners when the camera is not zoomed..

I thought a TC is mounted on the cam body then the lens will be mounted on the TC? It suppose to be in between the body and the lens right? If I am right, then the only concern will be whether it is a Nikon mount or Canon mount or whatever right?

Correct me if I am wrong or you guys were discussing something else where the TC is attach to the lens itself.

;)

sumball said:
I thought a TC is mounted on the cam body then the lens will be mounted on the TC? It suppose to be in between the body and the lens right? If I am right, then the only concern will be whether it is a Nikon mount or Canon mount or whatever right?

Correct me if I am wrong or you guys were discussing something else where the TC is attach to the lens itself.

;)

Check out my first post on the topic where I mentioned "front-mounted ones for digicams". Olympus has also some for their fixed lens SLR.

These differ from those used in changeable lens SLRs where you fit them between the body and lens and result in loss of light.

chatswood's use of "52mm" indicates the "digicam" type of teleconvertors. SLR converters generally do not have "mm" specs, except for screw mount ones.

Another difference is that front-mounted ones may not lose light or lose less light compared to SLR equivalent. e.g. Olympus B300, a 1.7x front mounted tele, lose less than 1/2 stop of light when used with Fujifilm S602Z based on my own testing. Smaller ones like Olympus C-180 lose more than one stop.

Besides front-mounted teleconverters, there're also wide-angle converters that could increase the field of view.

Thanks mpenza for correcting me. Yes, didnt read it properly... ;p

Anyway, is a TC good if I dun wan to invest in an longer zoom lens? How could I know there are how many f-stop lost when using a TC... really dun know abt this. Hope you can help me in this.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.