3rd Party TC with 'L' lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belleforte

Jan 29, 2003
Central Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if a 3rd-party TC like the Kenko PRO-300 be mounted on a Canon 'L' Lens? I understand that the Canon TCs can only be used on a 'L' lens. Does it apply the other way round?

Thks!;)

dEthANGeL

Jun 20, 2004
Siglap
No issues. I'm using a 1.4x Teleplus (Kenko Pro equivalent) and it works fine with a 70-200 IS ..

akdwivedi

Apr 27, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I use Tamron SP 1.4x on my EOS 200 2.8L (my only L lens) without any issues.. It works like a magic on my non-L canon and 3P lenses..

LensView

Dec 23, 2005
Basically all TC will work as long as the manufacturer specifies that it is compatible. But anything goes wrong with the L lens and the cause of it is the TC. Canon will not honour the warranty. That happened to me. I used the tamron on and it didn't fit that well so I used a bit of strength and there was a crack on my L lens. Brought it back to canon. Must pay to get it fixed. Just thought that you might want to know.

dEthANGeL

Jun 20, 2004
Siglap
Most would shun the 1.4x Extender due to costs and the fact that it will work ONLY AND ONLY WITH certain models of L lenses. Others might end up damaging the TC as the front element protrudes out quite a far bit.

Optically wise, both are pretty much the same except for the weather sealing in the MKII model.

Status
Not open for further replies.