3rd Party Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluorite

Mar 22, 2005
Anyone of you have any opinons on 3rd party lenses such as those from Sigma, tamron and Tokina? Any flaming comments or complements on performance and after service? :)

beggars are no choosers. those with no $$ like me cant afford original stuff. so far ive used tamron and sigma. never had a lemon. never had a need to service. very pleased with results till now.

wah liao, say till liddat. :eek:

i oso use Tamron lenses. 2 infact, & 2nd hand some more. low in price but high on performance. :lovegrin:

very happy with my recently purchased sigma 24-70 f2.8EX DG MACRO!
cheap and good! very sharp and with contrasty colours in the images produced!

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
beggars are no choosers. those with no $$ like me cant afford original stuff. so far ive used tamron and sigma. never had a lemon. never had a need to service. very pleased with results till now.

:) happy to hear that.

when i first got my tamron 28-75, it's was such a joy to because the focusing speed was faster than the lenses i had. image quality is also very good. i guess u won't need to visit the service centre unless u dropped ur lens or something.

I used to be a 3rd party supporter myself.. that is until I bought my first Canon normal (100mm F2.8 Macro) and L (135mm F2 L) lens. The difference was big enough to get me hooked on original (unfortunately L) lenses. The difference is not so much in sharpness but rather in build quality (even compared to Sigma EX), AF (even compared to Sigma HSM), colour (my Tamron 28-75 looks flat, Sigma is yellowish) and contrast.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 3rd party is terrible and CMI but there is a noticeable difference although it might not always be worth the price premium. If you can't afford the originals, the 3rd party ones can still give you great results (I still regularly use my Bigma).

I heard that many 3rd party brands use plastics for the aspheres in the lens due to cost effectiveness and that plastics are easier to mould. Do Nikon/Canon use plastics too?

Any opinions on using plastics which are supposed to be relatively inferior. Anyone who feels plastics have many advantages over glass, do voice them out here, too.

take my advice

never use 3rd party lens

i have 3 3rd party lenses, all tokinas
they are now almost 15 years old already, never had to service them.
served me well all these years, and still gives me stunning results.

you got to know your lens and what they can and cannot do.
and make the most of them.

are you thinking of buying some?

I have a Tamron 90mm Macro. Very good lens and very happy with the performance, especially considering its relatively cheap price and lightweight.

Actually I am not exactly experiencing any issues with my Sigma 24-70 2.8 DG MACRO except back focussing (correctable) and some inconsistency in focussing (sent back to Japan). Actually it isnt that bad- Maybe it is because I am particular that all my lenses focus very close to DEAD spot on.

But I read about soft image quality, lens fogging.... Frighten me only. :p

third party lenses are usually cheaper while still having similar optical quality as a canon or a nikon lens. bang for the buck. however, that's provided you do not receive a dud copy of the lens.

I using tamron lenses ...good result ...no problem for me...:)
Is how you take care of them...both will still spoil if you drop it from a height...:bsmilie:

I have been using Tamron 28-75mm. So far, the pictures taken are sharp and don't cost a bomb. ;)

Sigma Top range EX series barrel paint coating peels off so easily!

My advice never buy Sigma. :)

I've been using Tokina AT-X Pro 1 AF 28-70mm F/2.6 - 2.8 for more than 10 yrs n hav had no problems at all till today. Never even had it sent for any servicing.

Voyage said:
Sigma Top range EX series barrel paint coating peels off so easily!

My advice never buy Sigma. :)

Just send for recoating FOC. :bsmilie:

There're good and bad lenses from every manufacturer. Just get the ones that meet your budget and needs.

But Sigma lenses always seem tempting. They usually have what I want for a lower cost. I have yet to encounter paint peeling off (i dun wish to) so I still sort of trust Sigma. Just that after the hear say about inferior optical elements (I still doubt this).

Status
Not open for further replies.