3rd party lenses for recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerpalz

Dec 18, 2003
TheDaysMovie.com
any good recommendation of 3rd party lenses to use with a 10D?

Tamron 17-35 f2.8 DI
Tamron 28-75 XR DI
Tamron 24-135 SP
Tamron 90mm Macro SP
Sigma 180mm Macto
Tamron 180mm Macro
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM
Sigma 50-500mm f4.5-6.3 EX HSM

I've always found the build quality of Sigmas (at least the EX series) to be a lot better than Tamrons. More solidly built. And they have things like HSM that is almost as good as USM (depending on which lens it's on).

However, Tamrons seem to have more compact models? Just compare the size of the 28-75 XR DI F2.8 to a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX or even a Canon 24-70 F2.8 L, it's so much smaller and lighter.

Sigma seems to have stories of having a lot of lemos tho. Luckily so far both my Sigmas are "good" copies. Anyway, i would recommend u bring down ur cam and test the hell out of the lens b4 u buy just in case.

Agree with Kit. What do you want to do with teh lens? You need to sepcify if it is for macro, wide, tele, prime etc.

Denosha said:
I've always found the build quality of Sigmas (at least the EX series) to be a lot better than Tamrons. More solidly built. And they have things like HSM that is almost as good as USM (depending on which lens it's on).

However, Tamrons seem to have more compact models? Just compare the size of the 28-75 XR DI F2.8 to a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX or even a Canon 24-70 F2.8 L, it's so much smaller and lighter.

Sigma seems to have stories of having a lot of lemos tho. Luckily so far both my Sigmas are "good" copies. Anyway, i would recommend u bring down ur cam and test the hell out of the lens b4 u buy just in case.

for me opticts is more important than built outside hehehehe.....:)

these are the configs that i`m looking into....something that is on par with..

Nikkor 12-24mm f3.5-5.6
EF 24-70L f2.8
EF 16-35L f2.8
any Macro lens that is good....
i`m 40%built, 60%optics person...100% cheaper price person.... coz i`m just using these third part for the time being... then i will switch to canon when the time comes....

kerpalz said:
these are the configs that i`m looking into....something that is on par with..

Nikkor 12-24mm f3.5-5.6
EF 24-70L f2.8
EF 16-35L f2.8
any Macro lens that is good....
i`m 40%built, 60%optics person...100% cheaper price person.... coz i`m just using these third part for the time being... then i will switch to canon when the time comes....

Tamron SP90. (macro)

Sigma 12-24/4-5.6. (The nikkor is f4 constant)

tamron 28-75/2.8. Sigma 24-60/2.8.

You may note that other than built, stuff like AF is very much faster for some USM models (eg 24-70 2.8L, 16-35L.). But of coz you need to have a need for that kind of speed lar, most of the time the 3rd party kind of speed would be ok.

sorry for being wanted to be spoonfed again...any shop who is carrying them ? cheaper price? what price for the lenses?

NiVleK said:
You can try the local shops like Cathay, MScolor, TK Photo, etc. Just search for the number and call them up.

Cathay doesn't carry Sigma or Tamron lenses. Try Alan Photo instead.

If you don't mind getting grey sets, you can also try The Camera Workshop. Always cheaper with excellent service. :D

just to clarify..... does grey set comes with warranty? as in local?

kerpalz said:
just to clarify..... does grey set comes with warranty? as in local?

TCW grey sets come with shop warranty. They are pretty good guys, but no promises. AP grey sets come with shop quality, i have exchanged dud sets with them before...... but coz i have good relations with them but most don't. So don't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.