3rd party lense VS Nikon/Canon lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Would you agree that at the same price level, a 3rd party lense/equipment will offer better performance over a Nikon or a Canon AT the LOWER spectrum of price range (sub $1.5K).

Take for example my Sigma ST-500 flash, it does offer tons more fire power and functions than a similarly priced Speedlight.

Another example would be my 28-105mm f2.8-4 Sigma, Vs 28-100mm Nikon G lense .

And... Sigma 28-70mm EX vs an equivalent priced Nikon/Canon.

Hmm..... brudders, dont flame ..... but interesting viewpoints will be good.

Those with 3rd party lenses will defend their price/performance standpoint, those with OEM will justify with their "it's only money" and high resale value thingy. Those with neither will regurgitate something they've read somewhere, and those who own both are too busy shooting to be answering questions in forums. :D

in certain lens and range, yes, I agree Tamron, Sigma does have some very attractive lens with prices that rival Nikkors or Canon's lens.

Too bad, Tamron and Tokina does not have any "slient" lens like AF-S or USM.

Only Sigma has similar technology in the "HSM"

but for flashes, not so sure, cos my friend tested some 3rd party flashes like Suntax with his DSLR and it was not very compatitble.

Some modes work, some don't.

:dunno:

"Take for example my Sigma ST-500 flash, it does offer tons more fire power and functions than a similarly priced Speedlight.

Another example would be my 28-105mm f2.8-4 Sigma, Vs 28-100mm Nikon G lense ."

Can you share with us in what aspect of your lens that makes you think that it is comparable with the Nikon lens? Was it based on some objective test or some other reason?

well...i tink the end result will be pretty close,juz that if u consider the life span. a SIGMA lens will definately be shorter. I own a AF70-300mm,it was full of fungus after abt 6mths!My Nikon is perfectly all right untill now(after 5yrs)!

Never own a Tamron and Tokina b4...anyone care to share your experience?

Originally posted by RAIN_MAN
well...i tink the end result will be pretty close,juz that if u consider the life span. a SIGMA lens will definately be shorter. I own a AF70-300mm,it was full of fungus after abt 6mths!My Nikon is perfectly all right untill now(after 5yrs)!

Never own a Tamron and Tokina b4...anyone care to share your experience?

Full of fungus even if it was properly stored in a dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.