3rd party lens, Sigma? Tamron? Tokina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Auto

Apr 7, 2008
West West West area
Dear All,

Currently, i am using Canon 18-55mm IS kit lens with Canon E450D.
could be itchy already i think,:confused: decided to get another 3rd party lens to replace my kit len.

Question,
1. Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC, Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD and Tokina AT-X 16-50mm f/2.8 proDX which one is the idea lens to replace kit lens?

2. In term of Specification, which one is value of money?

3. Does any one can specified among this 3 brands, which one should be consider 1st? Why?

I am really new to CS, so i hope really can learn something from here. thank for all in advance

i'd go with the tamron..

btw.. you will still be stuck with the same "range".. juz better low light capability / slightly better image quality.. and perhaps more options to play with the aperture values.. have you considered exploring another zoom range? like wideangles and/or moderate telephoto?..

agree with ssping.
in terms of value/price, Tamron. I love it.
But there are others who complain about its plasticky feel, no issue for me.

1. Your kit lens is actually pretty good... unless you really need the larger aperture...?

2. i believe Tamron will have a higher QC level than Sigma... Tokina, pretty okay as well... but Sigma glass is nice...

3. Sigma for glass, Tamron for QC, Tokina for...?

Thank for all bro kindly advise,

I totally agree my kit lens is pretty good. However, they still have the limitation for kit lens. Actually, i still hesitate should i go to 55-250mm 1st or larger aperture like 17-50mm etc:

Hmmm I think you need to ask yourself why you want to get a new lens in the first place. You need to think about what you shoot or what you intend to shoot, and how getting a new lens can help you in taking the type of pictures you want to capture. You need to ask yourself: With a 55-250mm, what do you intend to shoot? When you say there are limitations for your kit lens, what do you mean?

I started out just about 6months ago, and never felt the need to get a new lens until a maybe 3 months in, when I felt my 18-55mm kit lens was too short in its zoom range for travel snapshots. So I upgraded to a 16-85mm lens and it eliminated almost any need for lens changing when travelling. Just a few weeks back, I decided that I wanted a macro lens for shooting flowers so I did some research and bought my 60mm f2.8. It has also become my portrait lens. On the other hand, my 55-200mm is hardly used and I'm probably going to sell it soon.

One thing to note, by getting one of the third-party kit lens replacements you are giving up your kit lens' IS capability, which could be useful in low-light shooting. I think IS/VR is more useful than wide aperture in low light because it allows for longer exposure and more DOF.

It's always tough deciding what lens to buy. Good luck! :)

I think IS/VR is more useful than wide aperture in low light because it allows for longer exposure and more DOF.

true to the extent if you don't shoot moving objects or if you have a steady hand... :thumbsup:

What Bro Zhaowei mention is true, always very tough during decide which lens, if you get this, definately you will lost that. If budget allow of course will have full coverage lens.;p

By the ways, i think go to 55-250mm IS zoom lens 1st, the idea is because currently i have 18-55mm kit lens. Thus, this should cover my need at the moment i think.:confused:

I'll go for the tamron. But youll be getting almost the same range! doesnt make any sense does it? the canon 18-55 is a good lens :) try expanding in your range instead of the brand of lenses you have. like consider a L lens since you're a canon user. 70-200L F4 would be a good start?

Status
Not open for further replies.