3rd Party Lens for Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixshot76

Mar 21, 2007
East
I am just started using DSLR. Buying the set cost me a bomb liao. Buying original lens will be very x. So is there anyone can tell me is there any good and cheap 3rd party. Thanks. :D

I am just started using DSLR. Buying the set cost me a bomb liao. Buying original lens will be very x. So is there anyone can tell me is there any good and cheap 3rd party. Thanks. :D

What you looking for in a lens?
1) General Purpose/Walk About
2) Marco
3) Portrait
4) Telephoto

Hahaha i machiam setting exam question ;p Niwae pls state your choice so that we can better advise you.

2) Marco
3) Portrait
4) Telephoto

Hahaha i machiam setting exam question ;p Niwae pls state your choice so that we can better advise you.

bro.. you missed one more.. (5) All of the above
:bsmilie:

Hi there.

Saw that you've got yourself a 400D for a dslr.
Good choice :)

It gives nice colours and also 10 megapixels of resolution, which is more than enough for large prints of perhaps up to A3 size? For 3R or 4R, even A4 size, it's already overkill! ;)

If you got the 400D with the kit lens, just stick with the kit lens.
It's pretty good as it provides a wide angle to medium-short telephoto range.
If you just got the body alone, I think you can find the kit lens for about SGD 60 - 80 used in the forums. Most of them are also in mint condition! :bigeyes:

If you're just starting out, get a feel for what you like to shoot first using the kit lens.
Important thing is to actually go out and shoot as often and as much as you can to discover and even create your own style of shooting!

After some time, review your photographs to see what you actually like shooting.
Consider the kind of lenses you want from there.

Also, do consider the camera system as a whole instead of breaking it up into individual parts. You'll find that the choices you make will be different.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

Cheers and enjoy shooting.

Hi there.

It gives nice colours and also 10 megapixels of resolution, which is more than enough for large prints of perhaps up to A3 size? For 3R or 4R, even A4 size, it's already overkill! ;)

If you just got the body alone, I think you can find the kit lens for about SGD 60 - 80 used in the forums. Most of them are also in mint condition! :bigeyes:

If you're just starting out, get a feel for what you like to shoot first using the kit lens.
Important thing is to actually go out and shoot as often and as much as you can to discover and even create your own style of shooting!

After some time, review your photographs to see what you actually like shooting.

Also, do consider the camera system as a whole instead of breaking it up into individual parts. You'll find that the choices you make will be different.

Well said brother :) I also started out with the kit lens on my 350D and as time progress, i discover my style for photography and move along. Do not be in a hurry to get what you do not need in the first place eg. some people buy a tele-zoom which end up in the drawer as they prefer landscape shots.

2) Marco
3) Portrait
4) Telephoto

Basicially, i prefer General Purpose/Walk About & Portrait. But sometime, i like to take marco also(very rare). Thanks. ;)

Hi there.

Hey, thanks for your advise. At least i am not at a lost. Thanks man.:thumbsup:

Well said brother :) I also started out with the kit lens on my 350D and as time progress, i discover my style for photography and move along. Do not be in a hurry to get what you do not need in the first place eg. some people buy a tele-zoom which end up in the drawer as they prefer landscape shots.
Bro, thanks for your advise. So for landscape what type of lens u using. And what kind of landscape are u taking on. eg building or glassland or etc...:)

Stick to the kit lens.

It's wide.
It can focus pretty close and get you decent magnification.
It's lightweight.
It focuses pretty fast.
You don't need to spend any more money on a new lens.

So many compelling reasons to stay with the kit lens anyway. Besides, you already mentioned a limited budget, so don't buy anything more yet, unless it's a flash.

If you really want to buy a lens, get this: EF 50mm f/1.8 II. It costs $130 and is a very sharp, bright prime lens.

Bro, what's a glassland? :bsmilie:

To divadyhl, with 5mp you can already print up to A3 size with no problem. ;)

Bro, thanks for your advise. So for landscape what type of lens u using. And what kind of landscape are u taking on. eg building or glassland or etc...:)

If you see my lens line up, you can tell that i shoot portrait most of the time but if I do need to shoot landscape, I usually make use of my Kit lens (EFS-18-55). Is cheap and good if stop down. :) For less than $100 dollars, it is one of the most worth while lens.

Stick to the kit lens.

It's wide.
It can focus pretty close and get you decent magnification.
It's lightweight.
It focuses pretty fast.
You don't need to spend any more money on a new lens.

So many compelling reasons to stay with the kit lens anyway. Besides, you already mentioned a limited budget, so don't buy anything more yet, unless it's a flash.

If you really want to buy a lens, get this: EF 50mm f/1.8 II. It costs $130 and is a very sharp, bright prime lens.

Bro, what's a glassland? :bsmilie:

To divadyhl, with 5mp you can already print up to A3 size with no problem. ;)

I mean taking picture with trees, mountain background.;) By the way, any good shop to recommand.:thumbsup:

If you see my lens line up, you can tell that i shoot portrait most of the time but if I do need to shoot landscape, I usually make use of my Kit lens (EFS-18-55). Is cheap and good if stop down. :) For less than $100 dollars, it is one of the most worth while lens.
For portrait, what kind of lens should i use? And is flash require?:think: Any tips for taking a good portrait photo.:)

For portrait, what kind of lens should i use? And is flash require?:think: Any tips for taking a good portrait photo.:)

Wat your budget like? For less than $200, a good portrait lens would be the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8. For a slightly higher budget around $500-$600, you can get either the EF 50mm f/1.4 or the EF 85mm f/1.8.

Pls be reminded that the above lenses are prime lenses ie. they cannot zoom. However they are very sharp and give a good background blur. :)
Here an review of the EF 50mm series
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.4-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Maybe just to add on, the above lenses are very good shoulder/head portrait, if ya looking for a whole body portrait on a 400D (fov 1.6), you may want to consider a wider lens.

I mean taking picture with trees, mountain background.;) By the way, any good shop to recommand.:thumbsup:

Kit lens kit lens kit lens.

For portrait get an EF 50mm f/1.8 II. $130. Perfect for you since budget is tight. Whether you want to use flash is dependant on your lighting, whether it is sufficient or not, and what kind of effect you want to obtain. Most of the time, make sure the eyes of the subject are in focus.

go for the tamron 17-50 F2.8 if u have ard 600 to spare...it's really value for $$$.

yeah tamron 17-50 will deliver excellent landscape n portrait shots :) gonna grab 1 tmr hehe :D

Let's weight out your options here.

Option 1:
Stick to kit lens
Get 50mm f/1.8 II for portraiture - $130

Total damage: $130

Option 2:
Get Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - $690
Get 67mm Hoya UVguard - $25

Total damage: $715

Reason why I didn't recommend a filter for the 50mm is because even with Hoya HMC filters, the lens is still prone to ghosting in some situations (I have encountered this firsthand on many occasions, which is why I currently don't have a filter on that lens). Furthermore, the front element is so recessed that chances of poking it are really low (not forgetting I have a lens hood on the 50mm).

Money is an issue? You have your numbers laid out here already. Make your choice.

Hi,

can 400D deliver movie poster size photos? if cannot, which camera model i shld be looking at? thinking of selling beautiful scenery "movie poster" size as extra income....

Hi,

can 400D deliver movie poster size photos? if cannot, which camera model i shld be looking at? thinking of selling beautiful scenery "movie poster" size as extra income....

Should be no problem. You may want to check out the photobiz more indepth. Hate to burst your bubble but you need a market who will buy these, and I'm not completely sure there is quite a market for scenery photos that are that huge.

go for the tamron 17-50 F2.8 if u have ard 600 to spare...it's really value for $$$.

Thanks for your recommendation bro. Will consider this lens is i have the cash. By the way, is 3rd party lens cheaper than canon lens? And when using 3rd party lens, is the picture quality better than canon lens?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.