3rd Party IR Triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsybitsyspidy

Jul 5, 2004
Hi,

I'm currently using a D200 + SB-800 + SB-600. I know i can use the D200 onboard flash to trigger, but sometimes my flashes are out of line of sight, hence the onboard flash doesn't trigger it. I figured i'd need a IR trigger, and i don't have the budget for SU-800. Anyone can recommend me a good 3rd party trigger? Preferbly using AA batts. I came across the PocketWizard as mentioned on the Strobist website, but i'm not sure if any shops in Singapore carry it. Can that trigger my flashes? I just buy one PocketWizard, mount it on my D200 and that'll solve my problem? Or do i need to buy something else for my flashes.

Hope someone can advise. Not too clear how these 3rd party triggers work. TIA.

Hi,

I'm currently using a D200 + SB-800 + SB-600. I know i can use the D200 onboard flash to trigger, but sometimes my flashes are out of line of sight, hence the onboard flash doesn't trigger it. I figured i'd need a IR trigger, and i don't have the budget for SU-800. Anyone can recommend me a good 3rd party trigger? Preferbly using AA batts. I came across the PocketWizard as mentioned on the Strobist website, but i'm not sure if any shops in Singapore carry it. Can that trigger my flashes? I just buy one PocketWizard, mount it on my D200 and that'll solve my problem? Or do i need to buy something else for my flashes.

IR triggers also require line-of-sight. Futhermore, I think 3rd party IR triger will not trigger the flash directly. You will need to attach the flash to a IR receiver (if there is such a thing available for compact flash).

BC

IR triggers also require line-of-sight. Futhermore, I think 3rd party IR triger will not trigger the flash directly. You will need to attach the flash to a IR receiver (if there is such a thing available for compact flash).

BC

Oh. Ok i gettit. I think i meant radio wireless trigger. Those which no need line of sight. Anyone has any to recommend? Any shops I can look for?

if you are using CLS, you may turn the light sensor for the wireless flash on the remote flash facing the commander flash, or to a area which able to received bounce off light from the commander flash.

this is same if you are using SU4 mode on multiple flash set up.

for some third party IR triggers, you don't need IR receiver on remote flash, but need to set it to SU4 mode, no CLS. IR triggers work best in indoor but may not work in areas with very bright ambient light or very open.

for radio trigger you need a receiver unit connected to the remote flash, the best radio trigger is the PocketWizard, it come with transmitter and receiver, Cathy is selling it, it also very expensive.

there also have those China made radio trigger set at around S$100, this radio triggers are not that reliable, as some of them will get interference by mobile phone, I have one of this use in studio, it trigger off the studio flash none stop whenever the mobile phone rings, and when I use it at outdoor or location, some time works some time don't.

Elinchrom skyport is radio trigger which getting lots of attention lately, Cathy is selling it, I have not tested yet.

hope this helps.

if you are using CLS, you may turn the light sensor for the wireless flash on the remote flash facing the commander flash, or to a area which able to received bounce off light from the commander flash.

this is same if you are using SU4 mode on multiple flash set up.

for some third party IR triggers, you don't need IR receiver on remote flash, but need to set it to SU4 mode, no CLS. IR triggers work best in indoor but may not work in areas with very bright ambient light or very open.

for radio trigger you need a receiver unit connected to the remote flash, the best radio trigger is the PocketWizard, it come with transmitter and receiver, Cathy is selling it, it also very expensive.

there also have those China made radio trigger set at around S$100, this radio triggers are not that reliable, as some of them will get interference by mobile phone, I have one of this use in studio, it trigger off the studio flash none stop whenever the mobile phone rings, and when I use it at outdoor or location, some time works some time don't.

Elinchrom skyport is radio trigger which getting lots of attention lately, Cathy is selling it, I have not tested yet.

hope this helps.

Hi catchlights, thanks for the advice.

The problem is i need to do CLS indoors for product shoot, but because sometimes need a light to fill the background, and the subject blocks my onboard flash from triggering it. Then sometimes i cover my onboard flash with my hands to block that light from the product itself, den the difficulty of trigger the speedlights increases.

So if i were to buy pocket wizard (hope its not too expensive), do they sell receivers seperately? Coz i dont think i need two transmitter, but rather two receivers, one for each speedlight?

since you mentioned CLS, i assume you are using Nikon. in that case commander mode flash trigger will not affect the overrall exposure, so you don have to block it off. unless you are using master mode instead.:sweat:

since you mentioned CLS, i assume you are using Nikon. in that case commander mode flash trigger will not affect the overrall exposure, so you don have to block it off. unless you are using master mode instead.:sweat:

Hmm i meant using D200 as commander, being which you need the onboard flash to trigger the speedlights. The onboard flash i can only reduce it to max 1/128, hence when i'm shooting things like wine glasses, i have to block out the onboard flash from the subject else there'll be unwanted light casted on it.

Hi catchlights, thanks for the advice.

The problem is i need to do CLS indoors for product shoot, but because sometimes need a light to fill the background, and the subject blocks my onboard flash from triggering it. Then sometimes i cover my onboard flash with my hands to block that light from the product itself, den the difficulty of trigger the speedlights increases.

So if i were to buy pocket wizard (hope its not too expensive), do they sell receivers seperately? Coz i dont think i need two transmitter, but rather two receivers, one for each speedlight?
CLS has it limitation, and not always work, it is easier to shoot with manual mode with multiple flash set up, the cheapest set up is using sync cords, hot shoe adapter, plus slave to trigger the remote flash.

if you are using using radio trigger, no more CLS too, have to shoot with manual mode for all flash units, and you can use a extension sync cord plus slave to connect one of the flash, and you don't have to use multiple radio receiver units. (it is nice to have multiple receivers anyway)

the pocket wizard is about $800 for a set, skyport is $380.00 for a set.
for using sync cords, hotshoe adaptors and slave, all should be below $100.00.

if you do this often, you will be very happy to buy the most reliable radio trigger set.

hope this help.

ahh.... i guess the wireless radio triggers are out of my budget for now. I don't suppose anyone here is using the SU-800?

This is an interesting thread for me.

I didnt know that these wireless flash units will cost so much.
its outta my league.

I can still use a SB600, place it about 2m away from me on my left, and use my D200 as a commander, fire off the 600 with my on board flash rite?

The next (cheaper alternative) method is to use a syncord + hotshoe + slave to fire off the SB600?

Hi,

i checked their site. looks like there's no local dealers.

if u want a IR trigger, can check with afiend for his jinbei trigger. ruby sells an IR trigger from Electra. however, it doesn't seem to like nikon SLRs/DSLRs. i used to have one when i was using canon. works fine with it. however, once i transfer to a nikon, it only works intermittently.

if u want radio triggers, jinbei also have those single-channel and 3-channel triggers. a little flimsy in construction. but at a fraction of the cost of a pocketwizard, it works perfectly well.

but, b4 u go and buy, why not figure out how to work ur CLS on ur d200? if ur flashes are not catching the signal from ur d200-commander, did u check if the receiver on ur flashes are facing the camera - u know, dat little round hole alongside ur sb600/800? regardless if u are using ur d200 or su800, if the flash receivers are not facing ur camera, it won't fire. personally, i find the CLS far more useful than using radio/IR triggers, if u have to shoot fast.

This is an interesting thread for me.

I didnt know that these wireless flash units will cost so much.
its outta my league.

I can still use a SB600, place it about 2m away from me on my left, and use my D200 as a commander, fire off the 600 with my on board flash rite?

The next (cheaper alternative) method is to use a syncord + hotshoe + slave to fire off the SB600?

Yes you can do that, which is pretty much what i'm doing now. I think if you have one light, usually u wont have the problem of flash not firing. It's when you have two or more lights, and you dont want your onboard flash to spill onto your subject that you have these problems.

i checked their site. looks like there's no local dealers.

if u want a IR trigger, can check with afiend for his jinbei trigger. ruby sells an IR trigger from Electra. however, it doesn't seem to like nikon SLRs/DSLRs. i used to have one when i was using canon. works fine with it. however, once i transfer to a nikon, it only works intermittently.

if u want radio triggers, jinbei also have those single-channel and 3-channel triggers. a little flimsy in construction. but at a fraction of the cost of a pocketwizard, it works perfectly well.

but, b4 u go and buy, why not figure out how to work ur CLS on ur d200? if ur flashes are not catching the signal from ur d200-commander, did u check if the receiver on ur flashes are facing the camera - u know, dat little round hole alongside ur sb600/800? regardless if u are using ur d200 or su800, if the flash receivers are not facing ur camera, it won't fire. personally, i find the CLS far more useful than using radio/IR triggers, if u have to shoot fast.

Thanks, I will try as much to use the existing stuff I have. Sometimes when I shoot through umbrellas the flash does not fire as well.

I always thought that round hole was for catching IR only. I thought if flash triggered its on the red panel in front of the flash. Guess i was wrong :confused: . Thanks nightwolf for the heads up! ;) I guess i'll minimize cost and stick to what i'm using now. I think i'm not fully expoilting the wonders of CLS yet. :sweat:

though CLS seem very promising, but it really has it own limitation, like you can't use it with umbrella sometime, can't place it behind a wall, or too far away.

so learn to shoot in manual mode on multiple flash set up will ensure you with more consistent results, use the old fashion way of sync cords and slave (connect the slave with long sync cord to remote flash unit and place the slave at area with able to receive signal from main light) it is more economy for beginner.

as for the IR trigger and cheap radio trigger, I think I have explain it many times before, it is good if you have a set of sync cords for back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.