3rd Party Ink for printing photos with All-In-One printer - Any similar problems?

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
A question for those in the know.

My system is color managed, calibrated screen, browser, programs, etc.

I have a Canon iP4760 all in one printer. When it was on its original set of ink, I did some test prints and was pretty pleased that the color and tonality matches almost exactly on screen. I would say about 95% match save for some lost of vibrancy and punch.

Alas ink ran out and trying to save money, I went to SLS and hooked up with one of those third party replacement inks. Cheap siah! Used for a while printing non important documents.

Today printed on photo paper again for the first time, wanna show some interior prints to a client, but alamak colors came out way off with a blueish cast. Wasted the expensive canon paper.

I know it is probably the 3rd party ink, but, any chance its not and I might had missed out on some settings?

I set the printer to manage colors, profile is sRGB.

I have a Canon iP4760 all in one printer. When it was on its original set of ink, I did some test prints and was pretty pleased that the color and tonality matches almost exactly on screen. I would say about 95% match save for some lost of vibrancy and punch.

Alas ink ran out and trying to save money, I went to SLS and hooked up with one of those third party replacement inks. Cheap siah! Used for a while printing non important documents.

Today printed on photo paper again for the first time, wanna show some interior prints to a client, but alamak colors came out way off with a blueish cast. Wasted the expensive canon paper.

I know it is probably the 3rd party ink, but, any chance its not and I might had missed out on some settings?

Try different photo papers....anyway i am on Epson, $10 or less per ink so stayed original.

Well original have their own embedded chip at their print head on the individual ink tanks. Print heads are in their ink tanks. This is how the control their colour management system. So go original worth the hassle free heart aches.

different ink's have different gamut and different color tone and intensity. I read that you had your system calibrated with original ink. So, you have to creat a new ICC Printer profile for the new ink.

I guess so.

I used Singink iirc, they sell a kit that injects third party ink into original individual ink tanks then 'flash' the chip to reset it.

How do I create a new ICC profile for the printer that is accurate?

you need ( or borrow) a profiler ( hard and software) Buying one might be too expensive. Sorry, I misunderstood your first post, thought you had your printer profiled already. Some of the bigger 3rd party ink manufacturers also supply profiles, but of course, they are not 100% accurate.

I had one of those big ink tanks installed for a while on an Epson. What I found is that the prints will fade and decolorize a lot sooner than the original ink.

after all the CISS, 3rd party ink cartridges
pls stick with original ink, u can use 3rd party medias
imo online shop selling original ink cartridges at $4-5 buck cheaper

Last edited: