3rd party grip

Cupid33

Deregistered
Jan 7, 2012
Hi everyone,I am a newbie to CS...I have a 60D that is newly bought & I am still trying to get use to it.Recently a fren was asking mi why i din use a battery grip.So...as i forsee in the future(or any time soon)I might be getting one.Is there a particular brand i should be getting,like 3rd party brands...Or should I just stick to the Canon's battery grip.& what kind of price difference can I expect & what are the main difference between the original battery grip and the 3rd party ones? All the gurus pls enlighten...Thanks veri much!

Hi everyone,I am a newbie to CS...I have a 60D that is newly bought & I am still trying to get use to it.Recently a fren was asking mi why i din use a battery grip.So...as i forsee in the future(or any time soon)I might be getting one.Is there a particular brand i should be getting,like 3rd party brands...Or should I just stick to the Canon's battery grip.& what kind of price difference can I expect & what are the main difference between the original battery grip and the 3rd party ones? All the gurus pls enlighten...Thanks veri much!

Before you buy anything or consider buying anything, I have to ask you a question (in contrast to what you friend asked you): Why do you need to use a battery grip?

Sorry if i call your friend a bad friend..

Why didnt you ask him/her..Why he buy a battery grip? Dont buy blindly and dont be pressure by peers. Before you buy/consider anything please do yourself a favor..you need to know whether you need it or not. If not it will end up
1) White elephant
2) BNS forum
Why waste your hard earned/saved money for nothing? Unless you are totally fine letting go that few hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Oh...he was jus saying in order to have a streamline distribution of weight on the lens onto the camera body lo...jus in case I am getting the 24-70mm L lens(coz he is using one).But for mi this L lens remains as distant as it can get...:rolleyes:

Oh...he was jus saying in order to have a streamline distribution of weight on the lens onto the camera body lo...jus in case I am getting the 24-70mm L lens(coz he is using one).But for mi this L lens remains as distant as it can get...:rolleyes:
And in return: what does this mean for your 'need' of having such a battery grip?

Last edited:
I don't use a grip, but if I had buy one for some reason, I'll just get the original one.

Well...I guessed for now,the grip seems "of no use"to mi at tis point in time,only tat it looks asthetically "pro-like"lor...:blah: Otherwise,I assume tat the LPE6 is good enough for now...Maybe if i get more "ANG PAOS"tis year,I might consider adding a grip so tat sub-consciouslly,(as long as i m concerned),i would look & feel like a "PRO";abeit the "skills"part...kekeke:kok:

Frankly... no need to have the grip and don't listen to all these craps about having a streamline distribution of weigh and the such... I am using a 1000D with a 70-200mm f4L before, and I find no need for a vertical grip at all.

It all depends on you. As and when you decided to get the 24-70mm lens, attach it and see if you like the weigh distribution or not, and if it feels ok, no need for the grip. If it feels off balance, then go down to the shop and test on a grip to see if it helps.

Note that adding a grip means adding bulk and weigh, and it is not really that desirable... since the 24-70mm is already a pretty heavy lens. As for third party grip, there are a couple of brands to choose from... you can google reviews on Hecules brand, Phottix brands and ownuser.

What he said was subjective..it depends on individuals. Do you feel the same? Do you have the weight issue now with your current set up?
"just in case im getting" that means u havnt got and also unsure about it. Am i right to say if that means you wont buy the 24-70 anytime soon? If that is so..Do you think you still need a battery grip?

erm btw...TS was Cupid33. Same person? lol.

Well...I guessed for now,the grip seems "of no use"to mi at tis point in time,only tat it looks asthetically "pro-like"lor...:blah: Otherwise,I assume tat the LPE6 is good enough for now...Maybe if i get more "ANG PAOS"tis year,I might consider adding a grip so tat sub-consciouslly,(as long as i m concerned),i would look & feel like a "PRO";abeit the "skills"part...kekeke:kok:

I know of afew who buy the grip just because they think its cool and look more pro. Ok lor as long you are happy.
Whatever floats your boat.

Honestly, I would rather buy more batteries than buying a grip. Let me show you the pro & con:
Pro:
Look more professional.
Rubbish! It just make your camera easier to be spotted & avoided.
Last longer without the need of changing battery.
True, but unless you are going to shoot for hours without any possibility of taking a break, I don't see the need for a grip. At most, I'll buy another 1-2 batteries and just swap when I need to.
More comfortable portrait position.
To me, this is the only reason that might justify your usage of a grip. Then again, how much does that matter unless you are a full-time photographer?

Con:
Heavier.
And this is a BIG problem. Imagining that extra 800g (don't quote me, I'm only guessing but I shouldn't be THAT far off) hanging on your neck for 2-3 hours. It is like hell.
Price.
With that money, you can get a lot of things that will be much more important. Remote shutter (assuming you have a tripod), a proper bag, dry cabinet, even a lens.

Really, go get something more useful.

Honestly, I would rather buy more batteries than buying a grip. Let me show you the pro & con:
Pro:
Look more professional.
Rubbish! It just make your camera easier to be spotted & avoided.
Last longer without the need of changing battery.
True, but unless you are going to shoot for hours without any possibility of taking a break, I don't see the need for a grip. At most, I'll buy another 1-2 batteries and just swap when I need to.
More comfortable portrait position.
To me, this is the only reason that might justify your usage of a grip. Then again, how much does that matter unless you are a full-time photographer?

Con:
Heavier.
And this is a BIG problem. Imagining that extra 800g (don't quote me, I'm only guessing but I shouldn't be THAT far off) hanging on your neck for 2-3 hours. It is like hell.
Price.
With that money, you can get a lot of things that will be much more important. Remote shutter (assuming you have a tripod), a proper bag, dry cabinet, even a lens.

Really, go get something more useful.

For the price, other than those that area0404 listed, you can even get a damn good tripod, if you don't already have one..

Seriously, if you don't own a dry cab, i suggest you buy the dry cab and some extra batteries. Just keep the batteries in your pocket or bag and change when you have to. If you are afraid that you might miss a shot. practice your battery-changing drill.

As for dry cab (i hope you have one though), what good would a VG be if your camera and lenses have unwanted visitors?

If you are doing landscape, tripod more important or VG.

Sorry if i sounded rude, it's really good intentions.. =)

Actually for the juice of a battery... I have try going for more than three to four hours of shoots without needing to change my battery. Unless you are a pro covering an important event and are shooting thousands of photo... seriously I don't see the need for the battery grip or your battery running out of juice... never happen to me before... don't think will happen to any casual shooter too... for normal shooting, it is better to practice correct techniques, not just holding and shooting techniques, but also composition and stuff like that. Put some thoughts behind your shots, rather than go on like a machinegun, spraying at everything that moves and hopefully get one or two shots that is good enough.

Having said that..the grip make your camera even heavier and bigger. hard to move around..and at times harder to compose (at least for me)
Most if not all Full charged battery are good enough and can support up to few hundred shots. So it probably can last for afew hrs..half a day or even 1 day or 2 for most people. Unless...you are on burst mode for every scene and moment. Changing of battery only take less than 1 min if not 2.. So why make yourself suffer just to look PRO and COOL.

Last edited:
I am used to be tempted to get a battery grip, but after considering the look (weird on a D3100) and the weight, I gave that up. I rather spend the money on an extra battery, good tripod, etc. I can shoot for hours (6-7 average) on a single charge (300+ shots). Why need a battery grip?

Another question. Why would you need to follow your friend owning a 24-70 and battery grip? Know what type of photography and get the gears you need.

Unless you got big hands..

With big hands, you can get a bigger camera :D

Joking lar... actually I would consider my hand pretty big, even with my 7D, my little pinky is still quite lonely and homeless.... but I find it alright... and I use a EPL1 (which look like a child when sitting next to my 7D)... no problem too.

Battery grip, in my opinion is only good if you shoot alot of time in portrait mode and thats it... all this thing about extending your battery life and the such is pretty lame and frankly not needed. And my ang mo friends who are standing easily pass 6 feet and with bear like hands, all didn't use a battery grip, because they noted that it is a waste of money for their uses.

With big hands, you can get a bigger camera :D

Joking lar... actually I would consider my hand pretty big, even with my 7D, my little pinky is still quite lonely and homeless.... but I find it alright... and I use a EPL1 (which look like a child when sitting next to my 7D)... no problem too.

Battery grip, in my opinion is only good if you shoot alot of time in portrait mode and thats it... all this thing about extending your battery life and the such is pretty lame and frankly not needed. And my ang mo friends who are standing easily pass 6 feet and with bear like hands, all didn't use a battery grip, because they noted that it is a waste of money for their uses.

I have small hands for a fat guy.. my A33 is nicely fitted in my hands and if I have a VG, it'll be too big..

I can easily shoot hundreds of photos with 1 charge so i dun see why the battery should run of juice halfway through a shoot, and I always keep spares in my bag. If you diligently charge your batteries, it's quite safe mah..

I got really confused who the TS really is. :confused: