3rd party E500 RAW support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uginz

Feb 4, 2004
anyone knows if there's any?
my phase one doesn't support it.

dun like olympus master's coz it's slow and has very limited functions.

uginz said:
anyone knows if there's any?
my phase one doesn't support it.

dun like olympus master's coz it's slow and has very limited functions.

Maybe can try OM's studio or the free Rawshooter essential.
Not sure if this is wat u want. If u wanna buy OM studio, MY is cheaper.
But heard fr. someone can get a trial and 'legalised' it.

rawshooter doesn't support E500 raw file either.

OM studio just a tad faster and better than the master software. but still overall very slow compared the other third party softwares.

To quickly organize and view Oly RAW, try the free Picassa 2 from google.
Adobe Photoshop CS2 does support Oly RAW.

ykkok said:
To quickly organize and view Oly RAW, try the free Picassa 2 from google.
Adobe Photoshop CS2 does support Oly RAW.

unfortunately, Photoshop CS2 does not support oly raw from E500. :cry:
the old raw files from my c8080 do work.
so i guess oly is using a new raw format for E500

either that or E500 raw files are corrupted. but this is unlikely coz oly master and studio both work.

uginz said:
unfortunately, Photoshop CS2 does not support oly raw from E500. :cry:
the old raw files from my c8080 do work.
so i guess oly is using a new raw format for E500

either that or E500 raw files are corrupted. but this is unlikely coz oly master and studio both work.

E300 raw files works fine with cs2 :thumbsup:

Just wait a month...Capture One and CS2 ACR should be able to support E500 ORF by then...

image quality wise, no 3rd party big name or small, can beat the Oly Studio software. the Oly Master quality also not as good as Studio. see what u r willing to compromise, quality or speed? ;p

nightpiper said:
image quality wise, no 3rd party big name or small, can beat the Oly Studio software. the Oly Master quality also not as good as Studio. see what u r willing to compromise, quality or speed? ;p

Is that true? I have read a couple of reports saying the ACR has more details. The main advantage for Studio usually quoted is the "colors"

I also did a comparison between viewer and ACR yesterday and I did found the colors of the viewer much better. Will try to calibrate my ACR to see if I can get the same color rendition from my ACR.

I do prefer the ACR due the fact that I ALREADY paid for PSCS2 and I don't want to spend another $200 for the batch processing capability of studio.

nightpiper said:

actually i beg to differ. i find phase one's output better that oly's. maybe it's personal preference :dunno:

i have done a little comparison here:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=127113&highlight=battle

as for ACR, i have done it too but find it troublesome to calibrate. even after calibrating, the quality is still not as good as Studio. if i m not mistaken, by default, there's some sharpening in ACR so u actually see more details. if u want really sharp detail output at default, try RawShooter, its free too. :)

if u r using Studio, make sure u select "High Function" instead of "High Speed", HF gives u a lot more details. from there u can select to sharpen within Studio or 3rd party sharpening tools like Noise Ninja (both noise reduction & sharpening, comes with E1 noise profile too).

have fun fiddling!! :bsmilie:

I like the workflow of Capture One Pro but if you like to get Olympus colours, then the only software I found that comes closest to Studio is SilkyPix. I am now using this software almost exclusively for my E300 RAW conversions.

I don't think there's any 3rd party RAW conversion software that support E500 at the moment, but I think that it would not take too long for some of these software to include support for E500. SilkyPix posts minor upgrades almost fortnightly.

NMSS_2 said:
e-500 orf file is different from e-300?
well, maybe not different.
just not supported yet.:embrass:

hmmm.. curious... RAW support for the E-500 comes really fast... unlike the time when E-300 arrived.

maybe because the RAW format is similar to E300?

After reading up on ACR, I realise Calibrating the ACR may not be so easy. It seems that the way ACR decode color is by doing two profile at tungstun and daylight and all other lighting condition is interpolated.

So theoretically if I want to calibrate, I need different settings for different lighting conditions .... which is too troublesome...

wind30 said:
maybe because the RAW format is similar to E300?

After reading up on ACR, I realise Calibrating the ACR may not be so easy. It seems that the way ACR decode color is by doing two profile at tungstun and daylight and all other lighting condition is interpolated.

So theoretically if I want to calibrate, I need different settings for different lighting conditions .... which is too troublesome...
You can try the ACR-Calibration script available at this site which can carry out the calibration specific to your camera automatically in Photoshop:
http://fors.net/scripts/ACR-Calibrator/

A Gretag-Macbeth ColorChecker is required though.

wind30 said:
tomcat said:
A Gretag-Macbeth ColorChecker is required though

thats why in my post no.11 i have mentioned that its troublesome. i still strongly recommend the Studio software & now that its in the 1.4 generation already, users who upgraded have mentioned that its quicker to processed now, but still slower than 3rd party ones.

but if ur criteria is to have a one software fits all solution, then i think CS2 is the final contender, might be worth a little sacrifice on quality to save some time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.