3rd party battery grip

LiuLangmao good point... after all i was TS after reading what all the people wrote... i decided i will get phottix battery grip. its in mass sales for 90 SGD. without built in battery just what i want... using 2 original nikon batteries... woohoo

don't worries...................just use it lar, and hope nothing will spoil lor..

if your camera spoil liao because of using third party thingy, Nikon Service Center will still repair the camera for you one..... the people there very nice one, won't throw your camera out of the window, anyway, their window can not open one also.

so all you need is just pay money lor, they don't care whether your camera got warranty or not....

....cos they already written clearly in the warranty card, you don't want to read, or you don't want to listen, than that is your own fault liao mah... right? pretend don't know is no use one lar...... up to you lor......

And don't forget to create a post in kopitiam after all that, complaining about Nikon Service Center this and that, their fault, nothing to do with you, not being customer oriented, not very bright, etc etc..

-- Marios

Dear TS, no offense. Is it really that hard to carry an extra battery with you, and swap the batteries when the one in your camera runs out? Why even have a battery grip when it does nothing extra for you? :think:

Dear TS, no offense. Is it really that hard to carry an extra battery with you, and swap the batteries when the one in your camera runs out? Why even have a battery grip when it does nothing extra for you? :think:

Maybe the battery grip is used to help taking pics when he holds the camera vertically, well, at least for me, if I am going to get a battery grip, that would be the reason, not because I need extra batteries/fps.

Have been using a 3rd party grip for the past 2 months.
No problems up till now.
Not too afraid of voiding the warranty.
So many ppl use also no prob, if got prob sway loh.

Car also 3yrs warranty. If mod or blabla will void warranty.
Day 1 collect car, go in garage mod already. hahaha

Bro, I agree with u just by carrying extra batt. Save cost and space. In fact, can buy 2 original batt for a 3rd party grip. But I believe the grip offers convenience of using other variety of batt especially where u travel to places with no reliable power to recharge thus have to rely on the spare AA's you brought along. Think of gg trekking for few days and being trigger happy. :sweat:

Hmm, if only nikon design an adapter for AA's for use in the original batt slot.

Last edited:

I think it is not right to say that the battery grip does nothing extra for the photographer. Definitely has its usage...

im the TS... no comments for daredevil... as other people already answered for me... getting my grip today from bishan blk 124

i used to own a BG for my D5k, its good to have juz to counterweight heavier lens, as evry1 knoes that D5k is quite light,

Again its like one man poison is another man pleasure,

cheers

Hi brother,

Got a question?
Do you have any problem with batt indication when fitted with BG?
Also, what battery you use? I can't find any 3rd party EL-EN9a battery (1080mah)? only EL-EN9 (1300mah)-claim competible to 9a.
Is it safe to use? Pls enlighten. Thank you.

Hi brother,

Got a question?
Do you have any problem with batt indication when fitted with BG?
Also, what battery you use? I can't find any 3rd party EL-EN9a battery (1080mah)? only EL-EN9 (1300mah)-claim competible to 9a.
Is it safe to use? Pls enlighten. Thank you.

batt indication, as what i can remember no prob.

as for the 3rd party batt, so far so no prob as i too using the EL-EN(1300mAH)

hope it helps....

I've been using a 3rd party battery grip since day 1 and i'm totally satisfied with it.

Actually i dont see how a 3rd party battery grip can spoil your camera. What a battery grip does is just transferring the voltage from your battery to drive your camera instead of from the original battery position. It's just simple contacts. And the buttons and stuff on the grip are simple analog components like buttons and dials and i'm guessing that there's no electronic circuitries within the grip? So i dont see there's anyway that the battery grip can spoil your camera unless there's short circuit or some sort at the contact point.

As for 3rd party batteries i think it is also quite safe to use as i've work with Li-ion batteries in other applications. Never have i counter a Li-ion battery that failed on me. The only thing is some hold their charge better than other. So worst case is you get a battery that dont last as long.

If you guys have heard or seen a battery grip that spoil ur camera can you share what actually happened? would be interested to know :D

yea just for the record... im the TS... and i already got my phottix battery grip... and i must say im absolutely loving it...
once i get the grip u will never wanna take it off...

Hey TS, Glad that you love yr new toy (BG).
I am also interested in betting the grip, but before I go ahead got some problem , pls help:

a. Difficulty in removing the camera battery flap, any tools require?
b. Did you buy the EN-EL9 pottix batteries too?
c. Is the cable connection from BG to D5k camera a hassle? any obstruction during handling?

I am a newbie...blur:dunno:

Hey TS, Glad that you love yr new toy (BG).
I am also interested in betting the grip, but before I go ahead got some problem , pls help:

a. Difficulty in removing the camera battery flap, any tools require?
b. Did you buy the EN-EL9 pottix batteries too?
c. Is the cable connection from BG to D5k camera a hassle? any obstruction during handling?

I am a newbie...blur:dunno:

hey man...

a. nope... no tool.. its actually revomable by itself...just pull a littel and thats it
b. i hv on original nikon and 2nd is from some anothor 3rd party i dont even remember the brand
c. not for me... fits perfectly.. the only thing is for nikon d5000 users when u connect the camer to laptop must take the battery grip coz the grip cable exactly above the usb connectro...

The nikon batteries have internal circuitry that sends battery charge status and condition information back to the camera, it isn't just a simple low voltage AA lithium cell.

Which is why some older 3rd party battery didn't work with the newer cameras then and were updated.

If you guys play with hi powered torches and use lithium cells, you'd know how dangerous it is when loading differently charged cells into a unit if the protection circuit isn't well built and fails. A single lithium cells can be overcharge to over 4.2v and improperly discharged below 3v, making the cells unstable and might create dangerous spike that can fry circuitries (worse case), or not hold a charge long (if lucky). All nikon batteries have 2 such cells running in series around a nominal 7.2v - 7.4v.

Imagine now if the 3rd party circuitry isn't managing charges properly and the voltage discharges from 8.4v for 2 battery in a grip. Exploding handphone batteries or bloated lithium cells ring a bell?

Of course, what I am mentioning is a worst case scenario and you can say 3rd party stuff have been around for a long time. But do know Nikon's batteries are built to a certain tolerance of safety that I strongly do not believe 3rd parties give a damn about as long as they are priced to sell.

So while others are lucky and get away with third party batteries, what happens when a few suay people aren't? You'll asked yourself why you risked it for a few tens..

Last edited:
I took a long time to decide to buy a Phottix battery grip (did not want to act like a ya ya papaya trying to look like a humbug professional).

In the end, I bought one and for the last 6 months have been using it extensively without problems. It came with 2 LI batteries and it's compartment even has a part which will allow you to use 8 AA batteries in case your LI batteries run out.

Installation was so simple and I find that it gives my D80 a better balance and is so much better to use in the portrait position (I do not have to twist my hand to press the shutter button). The shutter button on the BG is so much better placed.

Also, I am now shooting with my left eye and with the BG, I can balance the camera on my left shoulder and get more stability. Previously, without the BG, I could not do that.

ok. THis is my experience with 3rd party batt grips.
I'm using a Nikon D3000. The reason for me to get a batt grip is that the body grip is too short and I end up having my little finger below the body. This is fine if using the camera for short time like 10-15min... any longer and my hand start to ache.

In KL, only 2 batt grip brands are readily available.... Phottix & Meike.
I bought the Phottix. The shop say they dont produce a Phottix specific for D3000.... he says can use the D40/D40x/D60 version.
I tried and it was working. The verticle button would require to turn on the IR remote release function on the camera body.

After using the grip for almost 2 weeks, I then bought a 2nd original Nikon batt so can use 2 batt together on the batt grip. This is where it got weird. The camera refuse to start, with error message say that this batt is not compatible.
When single original batt on either chamber it works ok.

Got back to shop and he tried on his Nikon D3000 also same error.... seems cannot use 2 batt together.
He then used a 3rd party batt (Octopus brand) and it works... even mix 1 original Nikon batt & 1 Octopus batt and even tried 2 Octopus batt.... no problem, can work.
I notice the difference in voltage. Nikon battery that came with the D3000 is EN-EL9a 7.2V and the Octopus battery is 7.4V

I'm not 100% sure with 3rd party battery & the shop was kind enough to take back the grip and exchange with equal value bag.

Anyone know any batt grip brand that has a grip specific to D3000?

using Phottix grip on my D90 for months now.. even with a 3rd party Phottix battery
no issue, even sent in to NSC to clean sensor with grip, they just tell me to remove the grip, that's all.. use 3rd party, void warranty?
so long it's not a battery or causing any short circuit issue, don't think warranty is deemed as void..

someone mentioned about nikon original battery have some contacts and internal build that send information to the body to transmit accurate info of the batt life
this might be a minor issue to typical snapper like me.

Only strange or should say rather inconvenient is that my D90 with the Phottix grip, equipped with 2 batteries, 1 @ 100% while the other is 5% left, my body do not recognise the other full charged battery. Have to take out the discharged battery before continuing else my D90 just kept showing warning. ps to TS, hijacking your thread for my little doubt.