3rd party battery grip for D300/D700

shelomoh

Mar 17, 2009
Hi all,

I have 2 bodies, D700 and D300. I also have 1 MD-d10. However, I shoot with 2 bodies most of the time and realize that I shoot more portrait (as in portrait orientation) style now. So I might want to get a 2nd battery grip. However, I am thinking of getting a good and reliable 3rd party.

So far I have found:
- Meike Battery Grip for Nikon D300/ D300s/D700 S$150
- Phottix BP-D700/300 Premium Grip S$160
- Aputure High Grade Battery Grip for Nikon D300/ D300s/D700 S$120

I don't need to go for the cheapest. But I want to know from those who experiences on any of the above if they are good enough, meaning durable, reliable and works. Thanks.

Hi, i was using the Phottix battery grip on my D700.
It works ok, but at times the battery cannot be detected and it shows low batt on my D700.

After a couple of times, i decided not to take the risk and removed the battery grip.
just my 2 cent worth...

Well MB-d10 also at times cannot detect battery or low on batt. Happened to me once or twice.

I think getting second hand MB-d10 is more reliable Than other 3rd party.

Well MB-d10 also at times cannot detect battery or low on batt. Happened to me once or twice.

Mine also encountered but only when using 1 original with 1 OEM..
if both batt original no problem....

I don't have OEM batteries. I usually put the battery in the grip and not in the camera. (To lessen the weight) hahaha.

I don't have OEM batteries. I usually put the battery in the grip and not in the camera. (To lessen the weight) hahaha.

I think getting second hand MB-d10 is more reliable Than other 3rd party.

I did have that thought initially. However, I find that 2nd hand MB-d10 is too expensive... as in 2nd hand is still more expensive that when I bought my MB-d10 first hand. So I question why spend the S$100 more...'

No one else can share their experience on 3rd party grips???

If cost is a prime consideration & its for a second camera, 3rd party is fine. Use phottix on other model before looks great, works well but workmanship not as good. Inner padding/lining to keep out moisture disintegrate fast & inner paint peel easily. Does not affect operations & no effect on picture quailty whatsoever. In the end pay more & gone for the real stuff. Nothing like the looks & feel of the Nikon, if thats important to you :)

Last edited:
I suggest getting a used MB-D10 if u're not fussy of the condition.
Definitely the quality is very good and the build is weather sealed. :)

shelomoh said:
So I question why spend the S$100 more...'

No one else can share their experience on 3rd party grips???

The original grip is made of magnesium alloy. It is also fully weather sealed.

3rd party is plastic and I am not sure about the weather sealing.

That is why it cost so much more.

seriously, no point getting the 3rd party. if u can afford d300 and d700, why want to save on getting a good battery grip?

seriously, no point getting the 3rd party. if u can afford d300 and d700, why want to save on getting a good battery grip?

Totally Agree....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So I question why spend the S$100 more...'

That $100 more can last much much longer and more solid. Googled abit and found this guy posted something quite interesting about battery grips.

The blogger later on said this "My recommendation is to buy the Nikon MB-D10 and save yourself the trouble of having to buy a third grip and also the MB-D10 which you would end up buying anyway. "

Thanks for all the feedback. So 3rd party isn't as reliable as I would have thought.
As mentioned, I already have 1x MB-d10, so the other one is actually a good to have and not a must have. So I thought might as well save S$100 if 3rd party is reliable enough to do the job. After all, even if I can afford a D300 and D700, I still need to get 14-24 f/2.8, 24 f/1.4, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.2 (when it is out), D3s, D800 (when it is out), 200-400 f/4, ... ...

Hi, i was using the Phottix battery grip on my D700.
It works ok, but at times the battery cannot be detected and it shows low batt on my D700.

After a couple of times, i decided not to take the risk and removed the battery grip.
just my 2 cent worth...

Ditto for mine.....now caught web in my drawer....want to sell to people also paiseh :sweat: