3rd Party 4:3 Mount Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmony

Feb 4, 2004
Lion City
www.harmonyphotogallery.com
Hi,

Anyone here uses 3rd party lens for your E-systems? Just want to hear feedback like,

- which model,
- picture quality,
- lens compatibility with body (any function not usable),
- price wise,
- ...etc

looking for alternatives to the existing Olympus 4:3 lens.

Thanks...

harmony said:
Thanks disclog.

Anyone here using 3rd Party lens? Could certainly like to hear from you

you mean anyone using Sigma lens? ;p cos so far sigma is the only 3rd party making 4/3 lens...

harmony said:
- which model,
- picture quality,
- lens compatibility with body (any function not usable),
- price wise,
- ...etc

I've been using the Sigma 55-200... So far picture quality is pretty decent. I got the feeling that more details could be resolved by the sensor esp at the tele-end. @ 55mm it is pretty sharp but at the 200mm end it gets soft when focus at or near infinity. The tele-end performs well( for a cheap lens!) at close distances, OK at mid, and soft at long. It is still more than enuff for web, and could print at 8R, just that when u pixel peep u can see it is abit soft as you zoom out.

You will have to manually switch the switch on the lens itself to go from AF to MF, and change the hood in MF. The front end rotates when you focus. As usual for a lens in this class, MF is pretty rough. Build quality is decent. Price is CHEAP, esp 2nd hand! (I may be letting go of mine, to upgrade hehehe...)

A few pics from the Sigma 55-200....
As you can see it is a pretti decent lens for the price!

Oliveback.jpg

4180bf07.jpg

PA160088.jpg

Hi hammer_400...thanks!

wow these pictures are good :thumbsup: ... for me these are already sharp!

Btw, how much/where did you get this lens for? (PM me if it is not appropriate to talk about pricing in the forum ;p )

I had ask a few eQoute on
  • 14-54mm f2.8/3.5 Zuiko Digital
  • 50-200mm f2.8/3.5 Zuiko Digital

and I am evaluating lenes available in the market (and 2nd hands included). So far I only have the kit 14-45mm len.

Again...thanks for sharing :)

I just sold my sigma 55-200 with UV filter for $180 :)

Quite a good lens and light. But it is soft when wide open. But this is the case for all Sigma and consumer lens.

harmony said:
Pardon my ignorance... is Sigma 55-200mm compatible with E-500?

After seeing hammer_400 pictures.... really tempting to get this lens :think: :D
The FT mount version works on all olympus e-systems.;)

I will seriously direct you to get the Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm lens... it may have less range but is certainly noticeably sharper and faster than the Sigma.

you should post this comparison sooner lah. Then maybe I can sell higher than $180 for my lens :)

One thing about the build quality of sigma. My minolta 20mm sigma lens broke in my camera bag after falling from waist height :( ....

wind30 said:
you should post this comparison sooner lah. Then maybe I can sell higher than $180 for my lens :)

One thing about the build quality of sigma. My minolta 20mm sigma lens broke in my camera bag after falling from waist height :( ....

Ouch :eek: !

Haven't decide yet... both have strengths and weaknesses (quality vs mm reach vs price vs weight vs...etc)

Finally, decided to go for ZD 40-150mm. Did a 'field test' today.. very please with the lens. Here're two of the more decent pictures (all handheld hence 'wasted' a good number of shots).

butterfly21.jpg

duck2.jpg

Just to share.. ....

Next is to decide a Tripod or a Monopod ;)

Hmmz.. 40-150.. seems really good.. should i really wait for the 18-180 or just get this.. hmmz.. oh yah.. i need a monopod.. my hands arent doing justice to the 50mm f/2 i have :( all my attempts @ red ants failed badly (out of focus/blur)

Raptor1 said:
Hmmz.. 40-150.. seems really good.. should i really wait for the 18-180 or just get this.. hmmz.. oh yah.. i need a monopod.. my hands arent doing justice to the 50mm f/2 i have :( all my attempts @ red ants failed badly (out of focus/blur)

Are you using f11 to shoot? Tiny subjects like ants you'll need at least f8 and flash to get decent shots. Otherwise, the DOF is simply too shallow and a little movements of your camera or the subject will make it out of focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.