3D2N Mt. Kinabalu Climb

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosgsy

Jun 19, 2007
Elo,

I receive quote for 3D2N Mt. Kinabalu Climb via Mersilau at below price.

RM 1240 per person (Non Malaysian) - for minimum of 2 persons
Package include climb permit, Stay at Mesilau resort, labun rata, guide....

Appreciate if experienced climbers who have conquered Mt. Kinabalu to advice if above a good deal or recommend any other agency or suggestion to book direct or etc.....

Thank you in advance. :D
Cheers

Does it include airfare?
If it doesn't, then it sounds rather expensive.
Why don't you try booking directly? I'm planning to go there end-March and I'm hoping to do it under S$600 (including airfare and accoms) for a 4D3N trip.

Does it include airfare?
If it doesn't, then it sounds rather expensive.
Why don't you try booking directly? I'm planning to go there end-March and I'm hoping to do it under S$600 (including airfare and accoms) for a 4D3N trip.

It does not include airfare...
MYR 1240 = SGD $514.13
+ airfare est. SGD $200+
Total est. $700+ :bigeyes:

Laban Rata accomadation reservation i know where to book direct. The thing I'm worried is getting the climb permit. As read somewhere, permits are limited and got to have confirmation for laban rata accomdation before climb is allowed.
Care to share where to book direct for the climb permit or arrangement?

Thanks!

anyone can advise me more.... esp. climbers who have conquered Mt. Kinabalu.

I would suggest you try asking another travel agency for a separate quote so that you can compare? It's actually not that much more expensive than doing it yourself and they can save you all the hassle of arranging things yourself.

Accommodations on Mt Kinabalu have been left to a private operator recently and they have jacked up prices tremendously over the past couple of years. So anyone who climbed it last year would have done it at a very different cost from what people doing it this year will spend. Even the local Malaysians are complaining about the situation.

And you may not even get the accommodation on Laban Rata on the dates you are planning to climb. I had problems getting vacancies on the day I wanted to climb.

The climbing permit can be obtained at the Park HQ when you are there. No need to (and cannot) get it online.

i went a couple of years back for a 6d5n trip, including white water rafting and paid about 780 per person. and that was before budget airlines...

try getting a quote from pacwest adventure at furama. you should be able to find them online

kinda exp.
should not cost you more than 500 for a full package (4N3D), esp if u are going on budget air.
try some of the shops at people park's complex basement, some are quite good with their pricing.
2 years i paid abt 500, included stay in kota kinabalu.

The quote is fair to me but you may feel differently depending on your background. You should try and get a single agent to arrange the whole trip if this is your first time to Kinabalu. They will arrange transport, lodgings, permit paperwork etc etc. You just need to move your legs.

I have used Pacwest for other trips and they are efficient. I would rather use Pacwest than the run of the mill companies in Chinatown Complex but there are other "adventure" operators besides Pacwest if you bother to search around.

Whichever agent you use, ask questions about what is provided for the price. You have much to learn. And yes, the cost have escalated recently. I have been there several times, most recently last Dec, so feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

You may wish to check out Sutera Sanctuary Lodges. They are the direct contacts to settle everything.

My recent payment is Jetstar air tickets at $92 and $300 (all inclusive for 4D3N + all foods, porter + guides fee, climbing fee...and etc.)

I paid S$430 inclusive budget air from senai airport (Johor) for 5D4N trip with R&R at KK. But this was like 2005...

Thank you so much for all your replies. Greatly appreciated.

Now i have much idea how to get there...
As this will be my first time going to KK, most likely will engage through agency - pacwest
However will also do comparison with Sutera Sanctuary Lodges...

Hi!

so sorry but I have some queries about 3D2N stay!

I just book my flight via Airasia $80 and book a nite at "Laban Rata" for my climb on 7th March.
Any advice or tips to give to a novice climber?

Here is my plan:
6th March: Arrive at night at Kota Kinabalu, sleep at Kota Kinabalu
7th March: Depart morning to park to start trekking to Laban Rata, Sleep at Laban rata
8th March: Depart for sunrise and summit, return back to Laban and trek back to base and find transport back to sleep at Kota Kinabalu
9th March: R&R at Kota Kinabalu before flying back

Must I get a Guide and Porter? Hope some session experience climber can comment about my plan!

Many Thanks!

Last edited:
Dear friends,

To climb Mt Kinabalu, the price is categorised as Malaysian price & foreigner price. Very much different for conservation cost reason.

And yes, you can make booking through Sutera .... because they are the authorised agency to manage the National Park in Sabah.

So as long as you can book a bed at the rest house before the submit, you are entitle with the climb permit and blah blah..... You will have to pay cash at the HQ of the National Park Mt. Kinabalu in the morning prior the climb. At that time you will get a name tag and to know your guide cum porter. This arrangement is to help the locals for extra income. They take turns to be a guide, so don't take them as granted and you should be amazed how the locals work for the park.

The porter is paid to carry your bags bla blah by RM7 per kg but minimum 10kg.

You may contact me if you need some info. And hope you will have a wonderful time at my hometown. Welcome to the "The Land Below The Wind"!!!! :)

Interesting info
Sabah KK is one of those things which I plan to do before getting too old.
Aim to train up some reasonable fitness first.

Interesting info
Sabah KK is one of those things which I plan to do before getting too old.
Aim to train up some reasonable fitness first.

Yup! dat's is wat i thought so.. "climb" a mountain at least once in my life! ahaha

damn... i got less than a month to get fit!!!!!! :sweat:

get a walking stick or two for the descent...it'll save your poor knees. my first trip was a torture and we could hardly walk for a day after that.

my second trip was a breeze with a pair of collapsible walking sticks (http://www.leki.com/trekking/)

imagine descending 3000m in half a day! ouchhhh...

get a walking stick or two for the descent...it'll save your poor knees. my first trip was a torture and we could hardly walk for a day after that.

my second trip was a breeze with a pair of collapsible walking sticks (http://www.leki.com/trekking/)

Thanks for the tip! guess i need to start prep my equipment list too!

hey TS, i for your info i went with pwest as well... :)

Hi!

so sorry but I have some queries about 3D2N stay!

I just book my flight via Airasia $80 and book a nite at "Laban Rata" for my climb on 7th March.
Any advice or tips to give to a novice climber?

Here is my plan:
6th March: Arrive at night at Kota Kinabalu, sleep at Kota Kinabalu
7th March: Depart morning to park to start trekking to Laban Rata, Sleep at Laban rata
8th March: Depart for sunrise and summit, return back to Laban and trek back to base and find transport back to sleep at Kota Kinabalu
9th March: R&R at Kota Kinabalu before flying back

Must I get a Guide and Porter? Hope some session experience climber can comment about my plan!

Many Thanks!

Hi spaceman,
care to share how many weeks or months have you book ahead of this trip, esp for the Laban Rata. Individual or group?
Cos i may be there 1 pax, my kaki still dili-deli:dunno:.... haiya.

Thanks.

These walking sticks are way over my budget. Anywhere else can get affordable trekking equipments, sticks, shoes, etc. Thanks.

Once again thank you all for yr information sharing. Cheers:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.