3D Symmetry

Learnphotography

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
Camera Technical Proficiency, Lighting, exposures, Composition

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Symmetrical Abstract of our neightbourhood

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?
7.30PM

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
It looks interesting to me composition-wise. surprise that the curve structure and align with the buildings behind well.

Nice. wonder how would it look like if you straighten the buildings in the background.

Pretty great! Like it.

Nice, but I wish the buildings and lights weren't there. They are brighter than the structure and lead your eyes towards them, away from the structure. These are not things you can avoid, but still, they make an otherwise great photo look only good.

I also don't quite like the warm tone here somehow. Try cooling it a little (change white balance to add more blue), or black and white may work as well (though I'm not too sure)

Nice, but I wish the buildings and lights weren't there. They are brighter than the structure and lead your eyes towards them, away from the structure. These are not things you can avoid, but still, they make an otherwise great photo look only good.

I also don't quite like the warm tone here somehow. Try cooling it a little (change white balance to add more blue), or black and white may work as well (though I'm not too sure)

Ditto on that

Ditto on that

Ditto on that

shooting in the day.... converted to b/w may have better effect.

why shoot in the day? then u wun get those street lamp flares from the park area that will distracts.

u may also want to change your angle to stand back facing those hdb and shoot from there (hopefully this angle dun have hdb buildings in the background as well).

else u can crop away the bottom (sometimes it is not necessary to show the full shape of the architecture).
2lwxipt.jpg

but still, shooting in the day, converted to b/w or even sepia, will have more effect and feel.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

thanks for the feedback. I will tune the white balance when im free. I dont think i would go back for a shoot at this area. Thing i can do is to use faster shutter speed so that the buildings won't glow too bright. or a bit of flash can brighten up the structure a little.

@sinned79, actually i like the buildings there. its very rare to see a perfect symmetry on a grand scale like that. I have a BnW version but decided to post this one.

Learnphotography said:
Hi everybody,

thanks for the feedback. I will tune the white balance when im free. I dont think i would go back for a shoot at this area. Thing i can do is to use faster shutter speed so that the buildings won't glow too bright. or a bit of flash can brighten up the structure a little.

@sinned79, actually i like the buildings there. its very rare to see a perfect symmetry on a grand scale like that. I have a BnW version but decided to post this one.

My advice is that if u want to focus on shape n symmetry leave those hdb out. It distracts then adding any value to your photo cos it breaks your symmetry.

Do note that the shape of the sculpture is *perfect* for some "magic wand" selection in Photoshop - you can then use the sections of sky or a "sky only" shot as a new background layer to remove the HDB flats.

Yes, it would not be a "pure" photograph but would work a lot better.

for sure it may look aesthetic pleasing to some of you. to me i like to include the buildings behind. if not, the photo looks plain for me. no sense of scale. nobody knows what it is. and looks an art than a photo (nt bad at all).

may i know where is this place?

when i saw the title i thought it had something to do with molecular modelling :bsmilie:

realistically, composition is marvelous, but the color management (like what allen said, green tinge) can be twitched about.

unrealistically , actually can try raising your elevation so that it shows you giving a more "looking down" view on the landscape behind, more "feel"

for sure it may look aesthetic pleasing to some of you. to me i like to include the buildings behind. if not, the photo looks plain for me. no sense of scale. nobody knows what it is. and looks an art than a photo (nt bad at all).

since your title is about symmetry, dun you think the buildings behind is breaking up your so call symmetry?

imo, this shot failed as a landscape shoot cos landscape shooters will either choose to leave out the hdb flats behind or change a totally different composition.

as an abstract shoot, imo, it failed as well as the hdb flat is a major distraction to your symmetrical shape.

since your title is about symmetry, dun you think the buildings behind is breaking up your so call symmetry?

imo, this shot failed as a landscape shoot cos landscape shooters will either choose to leave out the hdb flats behind or change a totally different composition.

as an abstract shoot, imo, it failed as well as the hdb flat is a major distraction to your symmetrical shape.

I see I see. Like most ppl, I took this photo before i think of a title to post up here. Assume the title is not symmetry, can it still fit into other genre? Or this photo isn't meanful to be taken at all?