3D photo - Dude, Dramatic, Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahandre

Mar 12, 2007
Earth
www.flickr.com
Hi all.

Want to picture dramatic environment, with sunrise @ background, and the portrait of sharp face form dude.

This was taken with wide lens, small aperture (f/22) to underexpose the ambience light & make everything sharp.
Post process : slightly assisted with Lightroom GND filter.
Lights : backlights with big sunrise :cool:, two speedlights @ cam right.

Looking for comment & critique on lighting, compo, and processing.]

3297806530_7f825b12b0_o.jpg

I'm sorry to say the environment is far too boring to be dramatic. The sky is also extremely dull, so that isn't dramatic too.
About the portrait, is there something, some feeling maybe, that you or he is trying to portray?
About the sun, hmmm, it seems to steal attention from the subject.

Last edited:
I agree with pyeel..
This can be a better shot..

Dramatic = no

A silhouette would be nicer... and of course full body of subject..

You might want to pp the sky to make it dramatic..'

:thumbsup:

I feel overall this is a nice portrait.

Good exposure.

Watch out for flare.

i am going to say that i usually do not care about the name of a picture, so yes, the picture has limited drama value;

but the lighting is well done.

the only nitpick i would have is that his shirt looks incredibly cheesey. other than that, it is a nice photo

Drama is not strong enough as generally agreed by all.
That sunspot doesn't look like an f/22 to me. ( coz f/22 is my usual aperture ).
Is there a flare on his T ?
colourwise...the red is striking.

Think you've got a vision in mind but didn't quite transform into picture.
Need more input in photo-technique and artistic composition.

A dark thick storm cloud approaching maybe more dramatic.

Last edited:
just my 0.2 cents worth, the photo titled "3D photo"?
I don't see any 3D effect....:dunno:
To the dummies like me, I would rather you add an "s" -> 3Ds to prevent misunderstanding.

Dude is there, dramatic not really, dawn?.....it looks more like sunset IMO.:sweat:

I feel overall this is a nice portrait.
Good exposure.
Watch out for flare.

Thanks lithium_fire, Yes the flare's there. Originally there's flare as well on top left corner which I PP'ed away. Thought the flare on shirt was kinda cool, but I understand it may be different from viewer's point of view , thanks.

I dont know what dramatic means to you, but this is my version of a dramatic sky.
The dude could have done some dramatic actions or poses.

Thanks for the comment and example cheguthamrin. Yes I could've pose him a'la McNally's sunset-portrait's shot (although I'm nowhere near his skill), to make it more dramatic. Will try on another session tomorrow.

i am going to say that i usually do not care about the name of a picture, so yes, the picture has limited drama value;

but the lighting is well done.

the only nitpick i would have is that his shirt looks incredibly cheesey. other than that, it is a nice photo

Thanks night86mare, hahaha I can't comment on his t-shirt leh.... For real dramatic result, yeap I think I should take it when the sun was about to rise with orange/red/blue sky ? Please advise.

Drama is not strong enough as generally agreed by all.
That sunspot doesn't look like an f/22 to me. ( coz f/22 is my usual aperture ).
Is there a flare on his T ?
colourwise...the red is striking.

Think you've got a vision in mind but didn't quite transform into picture.
Need more input in photo-technique and artistic composition.

A dark thick storm cloud approaching maybe more dramatic.

Hi Cabby, yes there's flare on his shirt, which I intentionally left it there. I actually want to get the portrait shot with colourful environment background a'la David Hobby / Joe McNally, think I need to work harder and choose correct timing to get "correct" background, ya ? BTW : yes it's f/22 you can check it out on my flickr.

just my 0.2 cents worth, the photo titled "3D photo"?
I don't see any 3D effect....:dunno:
To the dummies like me, I would rather you add an "s" -> 3Ds to prevent misunderstanding.

Dude is there, dramatic not really, dawn?.....it looks more like sunset IMO.:sweat:

Yeap, probably adding "s' could help. Actually it was sunrise, almost similar colour with sunset.

Thanks tropiccana.

Where got picture?
The picture is there (I can see if on my browser), unless you meant to ask something else ?

I'm sorry to say the environment is far too boring to be dramatic. The sky is also extremely dull, so that isn't dramatic too.
About the portray, is there something, some feeling maybe, that you or he is trying to portray?
About the sun, hmmm, it seems to steal attention from the subject.

Thanks for comment, will try to shot earlier to get dramatic sky. The photo was actually meant for portrait shot with sunrise background.

I agree with pyeel..
This can be a better shot..

Dramatic = no

A silhouette would be nicer... and of course full body of subject..

You might want to pp the sky to make it dramatic..'

Thanksfor the comment raytravis. I actually wanted to highlight the dude's facial feature, since it was meant for portrait shot (hence I put two speedlights on cam right about 30 cm from his face). Thanks for suggestion on PP'ing the sky, will try.

f/22 is a poor choice, as you already suffer from diffraction.

f/22 is a poor choice, as you already suffer from diffraction.

Hi Rashkae, thanks for the feedback. yes, it was on f/22 to make "available light" unavailable. Actually I wanted to use f/11 or f/16. Please advise ............(I thought of using ND8, and adding another speedlight on top of existing two. FYI : the other two speedlights were on their 1/1 full power)

Last edited:
i think it will be great if you just crop away the sun. It does nothing but distracting.

Anyway, I like the facial expression of that person. Sometimes you dun need exaggeration(actions) to have a superb pic. Simple can be complex sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.