36hrs in Shanghai, where to go/visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithjhee

May 20, 2003
toa payoh
Visit site
i will be spending one and a half day free in shanghai..anyone can advise where interesting places i shd visit and good spots to take nice scenic photos? and good cheap place to eat? or any tips?

dates are 20th-21st Feb 2005.

tks.

keith

外滩、滨江大道、豫园-Must go.
周庄-Need more time.

I was just in Shanghai during Xmas... great place!

The traffic is basically chaotic... try to avoid the peak hours.

I think it would be safer to travel around by cabs, anyway heard that it's impossible to travel by public transport since it would be too crowded with locals. I was advised by my tour guide to take only cabs from the following three companies:
1. Jing3 Jiang1
2. Qiang2 Shen1
3. Da4 Zhong4

Lots to see at Cheng Huang Miao... good xiao long bao there! (though some people might find the smell of pork a bit strong...) :p

jaix said:

The traffic is basically chaotic... try to avoid the peak hours.

I think it would be safer to travel around by cabs, anyway heard that it's impossible to travel by public transport since it would be too crowded with locals. I was advised by my tour guide to take only cabs from the following three companies:
1. Jing3 Jiang1
2. Qiang2 Shen1
3. Da4 Zhong4

Lots to see at Cheng Huang Miao... good xiao long bao there! (though some people might find the smell of pork a bit strong...) :p

tks tks..basically i be there for a meeting but extending my flight for a day to do some personal sightseeing..so only have 1.5day..wkend somemore..is the temple v famous n easy to find? tks..

The temple itself is located in the main square, you'd probably be able to find it after some walking around... but Cheng Huang Miao is more for the food as well as shopping (and lotsa street scene as well, if you are into street candids) rather than the temple. There are lots of old type shops outside the main square, and its bustling with activities in the morning!

Foodwise... lots... and basically the food in China is quite cheap. There's this famous xiao long bao shop in Yuyuan (or cheng huang miao) called nan xiang xiao long bao, 16 (one basket or 'yi4 long2') can be had for renminbi eight dollars... that's less than 2 dollars Singapore for 16 dumplings! :)

tks.. the bao is making me hungry now..

where is good spot to take pics of the bund?? haha...last evening amazing race was at shanghai..maybe can find the taichi group and ask again "are you the Master?".. ;)

jaix said:

I think it would be safer to travel around by cabs, anyway heard that it's impossible to travel by public transport since it would be too crowded with locals.

Cab in Shanghai is reasonably priced. Take their "MRT" is also very easy and cheap. Dun try to take bus though as sometime they change their route due to peak hour.

For touristy activities go to Yuyuan garden, Bund, Old city, etc.

If you want to shop for fake goods go to Xiang Yang market ;) ....

If you feel like spending $$$$ go to Pudong for nice dinner or Nan Jing for shopping, remember to visit the Hyatt (Pudong) as their tallest building. the view is so cool ..

Forgot the place to go clubbing (can't remember what it called) ... but got 2 famous street for clubbing ...

their taxi about 80% the price of singapore , if want to save time can take taxi to move about

staz said:
their taxi about 80% the price of singapore , if want to save time can take taxi to move about

If you want to eat in nice restaurant... try go to Xin Tian De (New World), or if you feel like seeing similar things as SG, go to the New Raffles City, end of Nanjing Lu.

try visit Nanjing Lu at night for some shopping as well as taking some night scene.

tks!! i be staying at pudong area..but not at Hyatt!! :cry:

hehe.. only 1 night alone free..so think i shd be running to 2 places..take the bund photos at night and the other place u all recommend..

got to plan for 1.5day liao..since flight is about 5pm..got to sighseeig still 2pm before rush to airport..ehhe

Since you stay in Pudong, i suggest during the night, go to the Bund, then go back to hyatt and take some pics of the Bund across from Pudong.

Next morning, take a tube to see Cheng Huang Miao follow by last min shopping along Nanjing Lu, take a cab back to hotel then to airport.

Warning though, taxi to airport may take about 1hr or more during peak hour. It costs about 150rmb from Pudong Airport to Nanjing Lu area, to Pudong, prob about 120rmb and 10-15mins shorter. If you dun have much luggage, can try and take the Maglev train just outside the city. I think it's from the last stop (Long Yang i think) on the tube going towards north of Pudong tube stations like Lu Jia Zui etc. It takes only 10mins or less to reach airport (i have not taken so cannot comment. cost 80rmb without airticket and 40rmb with airticket).

nemesis32 said:
Since you stay in Pudong, i suggest during the night, go to the Bund, then go back to hyatt and take some pics of the Bund across from Pudong.

Next morning, take a tube to see Cheng Huang Miao follow by last min shopping along Nanjing Lu, take a cab back to hotel then to airport.

Warning though, taxi to airport may take about 1hr or more during peak hour. It costs about 150rmb from Pudong Airport to Nanjing Lu area, to Pudong, prob about 120rmb and 10-15mins shorter. If you dun have much luggage, can try and take the Maglev train just outside the city. I think it's from the last stop (Long Yang i think) on the tube going towards north of Pudong tube stations like Lu Jia Zui etc. It takes only 10mins or less to reach airport (i have not taken so cannot comment. cost 80rmb without airticket and 40rmb with airticket).

tks.. hotel to airport cost not a big problem..most prob i not paying for it.. ;)

keithjhee said:
tks.. hotel to airport cost not a big problem..most prob i not paying for it.. ;)

Taxi to airport is better. Maglev while it fast it does not run that often and their last terminal is not exactly close to airport.

tks for all the tips..managed to borrow the lonely planet shanghai book from lib.. ;)

bangkuangz said:
Cab in Shanghai is reasonably priced. Take their "MRT" is also very easy and cheap. Dun try to take bus though as sometime they change their route due to peak hour.

For touristy activities go to Yuyuan garden, Bund, Old city, etc.

If you want to shop for fake goods go to Xiang Yang market ;) ....

If you feel like spending $$$$ go to Pudong for nice dinner or Nan Jing for shopping, remember to visit the Hyatt (Pudong) as their tallest building. the view is so cool ..

Forgot the place to go clubbing (can't remember what it called) ... but got 2 famous street for clubbing ...

I think you're referring to Hengshan Lu/Maoming lu right?
Anyway if you're into clubbing you can try fuxing gong yuan as well.. got 2 places there - guandi (was being renovated but think it should be done by now) and 97

Btw, these are in Puxi and if you stay in Pudong, travelling back and forth might be a bit of a hassle due tot the tunnel so you might want to plan it in advance.. I once took a more then 1 hour ride from puxi to pudong for dinner when it should have taken about 10 minutes if not for the jam.

You can check out this site for some info as well http://www.shanghaiexpat.com

tks to all.. me had a good COLD time in shanghai.. snowing on the day i arrived last friday..had my xiao long bao and some shots..too cold to enjoy actually..haha.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.