35mm vs 50mm for general use

thenomad

Nov 17, 2008
Singapore
For those using full frame (or the equivalents in crop), I'm just curious as to which one do you prefer to use for a general walk-about lens? Or for street shooting? Or just your weekend outing with families and friends? Or for traveling if you were to only pick one lens?

Would love to hear your opinions and preferences

Last edited:
For those using full frame, I'm just curious as to which one do you prefer to use for a general walk-about lens? Or for street shooting? Or just your weekend outing with families and friends? Or for traveling if you were to only pick one lens?

Would love to hear your opinions and preferences

Depends on your preference, even though i own a 50mm, i would say i prefer the 35mm, 50mm seems a bit too tight for me on a cropped body.

Depends on your preference, even though i own a 50mm, i would say i prefer the 35mm, 50mm seems a bit too tight for me on a cropped body.

TS question is 35mm or 50mm on FF......

This can be really subjective......

For me, I am using crop... and I use my 24 F2.8 = FOV of around 38mm.... my preferred range..... if I am using a prime..... ;)

TS question is 35mm or 50mm on FF......

This can be really subjective......

For me, I am using crop... and I use my 24 F2.8 = FOV of around 38mm.... my preferred range..... if I am using a prime..... ;)

True but i don't own a FF that's why I said for me:bsmilie:

True but i don't own a FF that's why I said for me:bsmilie:

For you it's the 35mm and 50mm on crop rite, so that means it's roughly 50mm and 75mm on FF. So you prefer the 50mm on FF compared to the 75mm

Have you used a 24mm on a crop before? That will be around 35mm for FF. Do you prefer the 24mm or the 35mm on crop?

50mm equivalent for me.

Between the two lenses, I would go for the 35mm. During travels, 50mm might be too tight sometimes, for eg in a bus or in a restaurant

For you it's the 35mm and 50mm on crop rite, so that means it's roughly 50mm and 75mm on FF. So you prefer the 50mm on FF compared to the 75mm

Have you used a 24mm on a crop before? That will be around 35mm for FF. Do you prefer the 24mm or the 35mm on crop?

Unfortunately I don't have the chance to try out a 24mm but i am happy with the 50mm equivalent on a FF.

28mm on FF
if I can only choose either 35mm or 50mm, i get the 35mm

I have never used the 35mm, but the angle of view will be wider than that of a 50mm lens on a FF camera. The 50mm is said to approximate the field of view of the human eyes. I think either would be OK but I don't really have any good experience on general walk-about lens. Of the two lenses, I think I would probably reach for the 50mm first and it's a matter of personal preference though..

my personnel preferrence is the 35f2. I used in for the single travel lens. but nowaday i lean more to my 24mm.

Depends on the situation. Walkabout 50mm f1.4. Group outing 35mm more useful although Sony does not have 1. I make do with the 28mm f2.8 in this case. Landscape 20mm F2.8. But sometimes a bit too wide.

Interesting to see that contrary to popular belief, more and more people are favouring the 35mm as their general use lens instead of the 50mm. Some preferring even wider focal lengths. The FF + 50mm dream team is facing stiff competitions!

I personally use the 50mm, and have not used the 35mm much

Would love to hear more if people have other opinions

I used both and find that 35mm more suitable for event, the worst case - crop the picture while 50mm is good for walkaround (outdoor), but of course sometimes will feel too 'tight' ..

i choose 35mm over 50mm (on FF) cos it allows me more working space should i need to do any cropping. To me it is more flexible, so flexible enough that it can shoot landscapes (non wide but wide enough), protraits, streets etc. I consider it my all rounder prime which stays on my cam 90% of the time (till the extent i cannot leave home without it if i brought out my cam!) :)

i find that crop body users should go for 35mm instead 50mm for more flexibility and 50mm is more suitable for those using FF but dun like 35mm (for its wideness).

Last edited:
Different lens for different styles.

Interesting to see that contrary to popular belief, more and more people are favouring the 35mm as their general use lens instead of the 50mm. Some preferring even wider focal lengths. The FF + 50mm dream team is facing stiff competitions!

Really? I always prefered a longer reach, sometimes, I even bring out an 85/1.8 instead :bsmilie:

I also using FF watz, FE2 + 50/1.8.......less than $400 ;) Crop ah, ermmmmm......cut lor.....but thats where I sian liao, develop 4R cut to dun knw how small....like those kawaii machine size like that :sweat:

I guess it depends on how you personally prefer it lah, some people will hold more wide angles, some people will hold more telephotos.