35mm vs 50mm for general use

Really? I always prefered a longer reach, sometimes, I even bring out an 85/1.8 instead :bsmilie:

I also using FF watz, FE2 + 50/1.8.......less than $400 ;) Crop ah, ermmmmm......cut lor.....but thats where I sian liao, develop 4R cut to dun knw how small....like those kawaii machine size like that :sweat:

I guess it depends on how you personally prefer it lah, some people will hold more wide angles, some people will hold more telephotos.

Ya i know, different people different preferences, that's why i'm curious about people's opinions

The issue here is if you were to only bring one lens, meaning you need to cover for as many focal length ranges as possible. Traditionally the 50mm should be a good choice as it is in the middle, so you can go either wide or tele

If you bring a 20mm or 28mm, then most likely cannot go tele, and likewise if bring 85mm, harder to go wide. But 35mm and 50mm is quite close, and hence the debate

I am on crop. And I really enjoy using the 24mm (36mm FOV). I will use the 50mm only for portraits. 35mm (52 FOV) I sold.

I prefer the 50mm on crop, which means 75mm. Easier to focus on something rather than not-here, not-there.

I use a 30mm/F2.0 "pancake" which is an equivalent 45mm lens - not too wide or close, and the lens has served me very well so far.

I am currently using a 50mm Prime on mine Nikon FF. Its great for travelling (I have been on vacation and business travel with only the 50mm)however for indoor shots with limited space,Personally, I do feel that a 35mm or wider Prime will be better.
Thats why I m getting a 24mm Prime soon;)

Last edited:
I am currently using a 50mm Prime on mine Nikon FF. Its great for travelling (I have been on vacation and business travel with only the 50mm)however for indoor shots with limited space,Personally, I do feel that a 35mm or wider Prime will be better.
Thats why I m getting a 24mm Prime soon;)

Second that, the 50mm is a great one-lens to bring when wanting to travel very light, works well when you are outdoors

However for indoors, although the 35mm is wider which is useful in tighter spaces, it's a full-stop slower than the 50mm, assuming the 1.4 version, and usually indoors may have insufficient light. Although 35mm is wider and can manage with slightly slower shutter speed to prevent shake, the full-stop difference is quite significant

For those using full frame (or the equivalents in crop), I'm just curious as to which one do you prefer to use for a general walk-about lens? Or for street shooting? Or just your weekend outing with families and friends? Or for traveling if you were to only pick one lens?

Would love to hear your opinions and preferences

Most folks like 35mm on FF when shooting streets, coz by default it forces you to get closer to your subjects. The perspective and feel of the moment will definitely be different (not necessarily good or bad) when you stand further away and use a 50mm focal lens. What I can probably suggest is, borrow a zoom lens from a friend with a range comprises 35mm to 50mm and walk around with it for a better actual feel of the 35mm & 50mm framing. Have fun!

For myself, a weekend outing with framilies will typically be my 5DMkii with sigma 50mm f1.4 and EF 135L depending in or outdoors. When travelling alone, it'll usually be my film cameras Bessa R3A with 50mm frameline and compact Minolta with 40mm frameline (one for color and one for B&W film).

Last edited:
Most folks like 35mm on FF when shooting streets, coz by default it forces you to get closer to your subjects.

here's an example using 35mm on FF shooting on a HK street during my HK trip.

4985846145_1872f586a7.jpg

I generally prefer the 35mm on FF, although sometimes I miss the 50 when on the 35.

any sample pics from 50mm on DX..

35mm for my cam.

if i'm using full frame, will go for 50mm.

I'm looking for a 24mm f/1.8 (35mm equiv) for video cos the 50mm (75mm equiv) is too long. Sorry i don't have a 35mm (50mm equiv) :)

35mm FF still going strong.. but 50mm FF catching up!

I use 50mm on my D700 to take portraits for my children and wife. However, indoor group gathering shoot (small room), find 50mm abit tight, think 35mm will be better option. Just my personal opinion.

Coming from 50mm and 35mm lenses, I gave up everything once i got my 85mm. The range suits my style. Ok off topic of sorts :)

Coming from 50mm and 35mm lenses, I gave up everything once i got my 85mm. The range suits my style. Ok off topic of sorts :)

There's somebody else who replied that he has a similar preference as you
Interesting comments nonetheless, i guess the 85mm suits more for people who tend to focus on specific objects