35mm M-mount recommendations?

jrhellboy

Mar 2, 2011
Hello all! After being poisoned by the rangefinder threads here in clubsnap i've went ahead and bought a 250th Voigtlander Anniversary set that comes with the Bessa R3M and the 50/2 Heliar! However, I'm more of a 35mm kinda shooter and i'm just too overwhelmed by the options available!

I was thinking of the 35mm f1.2 by voigtlander, but i'd really like to hear suggestions from the seasoned RF users here!

thanks in advance:)

I always have a soft spot for CV 35/1.4 which is my very first RF lens :) . Its compact and packs quite a punch.

Never liked the 35 1.4 because the 35 1.2 can resolve detail better. But the size makes it difficult to use.

I personally have a soft spot for the 35mm f2 hexanon k-M mount which i just sold :(

To be dead honest, with no intentions to offend anyone -
I'd have to say that the image quality between the various 35's is small.
Naturally, some will be sharper, have nicer bokeh or rendering (subjective), less distortion.
But with the bottleneck in the form of the scanner and for use on the web (i.e not printing big),
these differences will be minute and not that visible in real-life day to day usage.

What you should really consider is:

1. size and usability
  2. do you really need a fast lens, which correlates to point #1.
  3. price

Let me take your through my decision-making process.
I use the very affordable CV Color-Skopa 35 f/2.5 Pancake.

Size and usability:
One reason for me using an RF is size, I love that it's small.
So the size of the lens matters - the smaller and the more compact the better.
Being compact, it is also light and easier to bring around. I have my camera with me everyday at all times.
Of course, it is also less conspicuous.

Fast lens:
I like to shoot on the streets, I find that I hardly shoot wide-open - maybe just 20% of the time.
So considering that fast apertures are not a deal-breaker for me, f/2.5 is plenty for me.

Price:
Lastly, there's price. I am a full-time undergraduate and I fund myself by working during the weekends.
So price is a factor - the Color-Skopa being relatively slower, is much cheaper.

So I suggest an honest appraisal of your shooting style, habits, your penchant and your limits.
From there, you'd be able to find the lens that suits you the most.

And lastly, there have been several 35mm lens test done here, all of which would prove informative.

Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.2 II vs I on digital
Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.2 II vs I on film
35mm Battle Royale - feat. Leica/ Zeiss/ Canon/ Konica/ Komura/ Voigtländer

Last edited:
frankly, i've bought and tried most lenses.

For 35mm, i tend to use the smallest and most compact the most often.

more and more often, i find it overkill and unnecessary to use F1.4 (summilux) or ASPH. These 2 aspects add unnecessary bulk and weight to the lens. I'd rather have a small, light and compact form factor that will help me to "be there". CV also has quite a few small form factor 35 mm

Last edited:
The Carl Zeiss 35mm/f2 and f2.8 are smaller than the Leica ASPH lenses. The F2.8 lens is especially compact and relatively distortion free. The f2 is a decent compromise in size.

Last edited:
I've only used Nokton 35mm f1.4 and 1.2 V2... Love 35mm f1.2 V2 for its rendering, sharpness and creamy bokeh but size is a bit of a pain in the area.... 35 f1.4 is good for its size and its somewhat modern yet with a touch of classic rendering.... downside will be barrel distortion if you are going to do landscape sometimes....

I've sold my 35mm f1.4 and i'm starting to regret :(

I've only used Nokton 35mm f1.4 and 1.2 V2... Love 35mm f1.2 V2 for its rendering, sharpness and creamy bokeh but size is a bit of a pain in the area.... 35 f1.4 is good for its size and its somewhat modern yet with a touch of classic rendering.... downside will be barrel distortion if you are going to do landscape sometimes....

I've sold my 35mm f1.4 and i'm starting to regret :(
I am tempted to sell my 35/1.4, but I'm keeping it for now because of size. (It's so bloody small, I could chuck it into any travelling bag without effort).

But I must say the 35/1.2 might be big (I use V1), but because it is big, it affords incredible stability because it is easier to hold.

Another option is the 35mm Ultron, Cosina's first M lens.

Erwin Puts considers it a match for the non-aspherical summicron. Sean Reid also has a comparison of fast 35mm, where he recommends this lens above the 35mm Nokton (which suffers from focus shift).

Here is Puts' review -- Voigtlander lenses

My personal experience is also very positive -- it is a low contrast and high resolution lens, which is better suited for my scanning workflow. It is smaller than the Zeiss 35mm f/2 (which I also had), but larger than a summicron or color skopar.

6379256017_becf556028.jpg

Hello all! After being poisoned by the rangefinder threads here in clubsnap i've went ahead and bought a 250th Voigtlander Anniversary set that comes with the Bessa R3M and the 50/2 Heliar! However, I'm more of a 35mm kinda shooter and i'm just too overwhelmed by the options available!

I was thinking of the 35mm f1.2 by voigtlander, but i'd really like to hear suggestions from the seasoned RF users here!

thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
frankly, i've bought and tried most lenses.

For 35mm, i tend to use the smallest and most compact the most often.

more and more often, i find it overkill and unnecessary to use F1.4 (summilux) or ASPH. These 2 aspects add unnecessary bulk and weight to the lens. I'd rather have a small, light and compact form factor that will help me to "be there". CV also has quite a few small form factor 35 mm

Pretty much the same here, tried more than a handfull of lenses and I will willingly sacrifice the 1 extra stop for a smaller and compact f2 lens. If budget is no issue, then its the version 4 cron for me. Otherwise, I'd pick the canon 35/2 in screw mount... don't you love swirly bokeh? :)

Last edited:
man. now that i've heard your opinions and checked the lenses online i feel like getting all the 35mm... -.- all so chio sia. I'll probably go with the Voigtlander 35/1.4 Nokton M, not that i'll need the fast aperture when i do streets, but i'd like to have the choice.. TIME TO START EARNING SOME MUNNIES! oh and do you guys get the optional hood when you use it? cause i'm still pretty new to rangefinders and film, not very sure!

Oh i also saw the 40mm f1.4 from chiif cameras. any opinions on that?? D: sian. keep getting poisoned.

Last edited:
Totally agree
I am tempted to sell my 35/1.4, but I'm keeping it for now because of size. (It's so bloody small, I could chuck it into any travelling bag without effort).

But I must say the 35/1.2 might be big (I use V1), but because it is big, it affords incredible stability because it is easier to hold.

Start with some decent and your wallet is comfortable is... On your RF journey, you will find yourself getting more and more gears....

man. now that i've heard your opinions and checked the lenses online i feel like getting all the 35mm... -.- all so chio sia. I'll probably go with the Voigtlander 35/1.4 Nokton M, not that i'll need the fast aperture when i do streets, but i'd like to have the choice.. TIME TO START EARNING SOME MUNNIES! oh and do you guys get the optional hood when you use it? cause i'm still pretty new to rangefinders and film, not very sure!

Oh i also saw the 40mm f1.4 from chiif cameras. any opinions on that?? D: sian. keep getting poisoned.

Lol after consideration I think 40mm will work quite nicely on my r3m, 35mm i need to recompose on an external viewfinder. D: scared I lose the shot by then. Wonder if anyone got a good copy to let go:D