35mm lens for M rangefinder

Supereded

Sep 16, 2011
Hi friends from the rangefinder section; hopefully I didn't post this in the wrong section with the new Leica subforum being implemented.

I recently damaged my 35mm f/2.5 Voigtlander color skopar pii and am looking to either upgrade or get the same lens.

I'm happy with the f/2.5 but sometimes I do need a faster speed lens, probably f2 is enough for me.
I've done some looking around and saw that the voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is pretty good lens but would like to seek opinion from users instead of reading off reviews.
Zeiss lenses are really good but they are pretty heavy and big... but would like to hear opinions as well. especially the zeiss biogon 35mm f2 or f2.8.
I haven't read much about the nikon or canon lenses as there aren't really a lot of people suggesting them for M cameras and my knowledge on them isn't that good.
I'm currently budgeting myself to either S$500-700, so i'm not looking at lenses like summicron.

Hopefully I can get some opinions and suggestions from fellow shooters before spending money on my next lens.

Thanks in advance!:D

A new Nokton 40/1.4 will be within your budget. It has lesser (non noticeable) barrel distortion than the Nokton 35/1.4. But a new 35/1.4 will burst your budget unless you consider used.

Or you may look for a Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 CLE. It can be identified with the serial number on the lens barrel. It has a signature quite close to 35mm Summicron v3. The earlier M-Rokkor 40/2 version has its serial number on the front of the lens rim.

Do take note the 40mm lens will bring up the 50mm frame lines on a Leica M body. You just have to compose a little tighter. With experience you will know how much to compensate. Rangefinders are never about overly precise composition.

A new Nokton 40/1.4 will be within your budget. It has lesser (non noticeable) barrel distortion than the Nokton 35/1.4. But a new 35/1.4 will burst your budget unless you consider used.

Or you may look for a Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 CLE. It can be identified with the serial number on the lens barrel. It has a signature quite close to 35mm Summicron v3. The earlier M-Rokkor 40/2 version has its serial number on the front of the lens rim.

Do take note the 40mm lens will bring up the 50mm frame lines on a Leica M body. You just have to compose a little tighter. With experience you will know how much to compensate. Rangefinders are never about overly precise composition.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm looking more at the 35mm lenses. Probably will get a used 35 1.4 instead! Is the size a lot bigger than the color skopar ?

The Voigtlander 35/1.4 is my first lens and I can say it's one of the most compact lens and definitely one of the most bang-for-buck option.

This lens is adequately sharp and has decent bokeh. Barrel distortion shouldn't be a big issue if you're doing mostly streets.

the canon 35/2 ltm is pretty good as well in terms of size performance and price.

The Voigtlander 35/1.4 is my first lens and I can say it's one of the most compact lens and definitely one of the most bang-for-buck option.

This lens is adequately sharp and has decent bokeh. Barrel distortion shouldn't be a big issue if you're doing mostly streets.

I'm definitely looking at this lens to get right now. But is there any huge difference between the S.C version and the M.C version?

the canon 35/2 ltm is pretty good as well in terms of size performance and price.
I've just went to look around and it looks pretty good. I think I got it mixed up with the Nikon's 35 f/2 which has that softness glow when shot wide open. Can't remember which one of these two lenses was it. Was reading up on it yesterday afternoon at work.

Last edited:
I previously bought the Voigtlander 35/1.4 when I was in the US from B&H.

Returned it the very next day and bought the Zeiss 35/2 Biogon.

If you like the classic look I guess the 35/1.4. However, I personally find the lens a lil soft on sharpness.

I'm not sure if you have seen this link but worth checking it out.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

If budget is able to stretch a bit more, might wanna have a look at the Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron ASPH :)
Bearing the same vintage look, reviews saying the new 35mm's micro contrast seems to be performing even better than the Nokton 50mm 1.5 ASPH.

I'm also looking at 35mm 1.4 and 1.7 myself, maybe getting 1 of them as xmas present to myself :bsmilie:

Last edited:
The Nokton 35/1.4 is a little bit longer than the Skopar 35/2.5. Nokton uses the E43 filter. The SC is single coat for lower contrast to pull out as much shadow details as possible on b&w film. It resembles the 35mm Summilux pre-asph in rendering but from my experience Nokton 35/1.4 has slightly better flare control. MC is multi coat and it is supposed to have slightly better flare control than SC with slightly higher contrast. I personally prefer the SC version for b&w. On film the difference between SC and MC might not be noticeable.

The disadvantage of LTM lenses are the need for LTM-M adapters to use on M bodies and longer minimum focus distance. Being able to focus 0.7m vs 1m with a 35mm lens matters (at least to me) but the 35 Lux pre-asph focuses to 1m too. If you shoot with LTM and M bodies then LTM lenses can easily be used on both types of bodies.

Last edited:
I previously bought the Voigtlander 35/1.4 when I was in the US from B&H.

Returned it the very next day and bought the Zeiss 35/2 Biogon.

If you like the classic look I guess the 35/1.4. However, I personally find the lens a lil soft on sharpness.

I'm not sure if you have seen this link but worth checking it out.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Hey it did help! I was looking at the zeiss 35/2 biogon as well but the thing with that lens is that it is really big and heavy. Thats why I didn't really like it.

If budget is able to stretch a bit more, might wanna have a look at the Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron ASPH :)
Bearing the same vintage look, reviews saying the new 35mm's micro contrast seems to be performing even better than the Nokton 50mm 1.5 ASPH.

I'm also looking at 35mm 1.4 and 1.7 myself, maybe getting 1 of them as xmas present to myself :bsmilie:

Just took a look at that! For that price, I'm now putting myself at the cross road at picking that up or getting the new 35mm 1.4 from miyazaki-san thru JCH. Apparently he just came up with a new 35mm lens. You should probably take a look at that too!
Here's the link http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2015/12/camera-geekery-the-new-ms-optics-apoqualia-35mm-1-4-f-mc/

The Nokton 35/1.4 is a little bit longer than the Skopar 35/2.5. Nokton uses the E43 filter. The SC is single coat for lower contrast to pull out as much shadow details as possible on b&w film. It resembles the 35mm Summilux pre-asph in rendering but from my experience Nokton 35/1.4 has slightly better flare control. MC is multi coat and it is supposed to have slightly better flare control than SC with slightly higher contrast. I personally prefer the SC version for b&w. On film the difference between SC and MC might not be noticeable.

The disadvantage of LTM lenses are the need for LTM-M adapters to use on M bodies and longer minimum focus distance. Being able to focus 0.7m vs 1m with a 35mm lens matters (at least to me) but the 35 Lux pre-asph focuses to 1m too. If you shoot with LTM and M bodies then LTM lenses can easily be used on both types of bodies.

Thanks for the info. So I guess there isn't much of a difference if I shoot mostly on colour film to get either the MC or the SC version... As for the 1m focusing distance, I think I'm okay with having a minimum distance of 1m. As I have a ltm to m mount adapter at home, I'm looking at the japanese 35mm lenses as I've heard some pretty good comments about them once in awhile on clubsnap.

As Genie has said earlier, the difference between sc and mc is the coating that affects flare control and a little of the contrast. Not much difference imo.

Sharpness is probably more important on digital than film. Then again, what's the point of a extremely sharp photo when your photo tells no story?

Hey it did help! I was looking at the zeiss 35/2 biogon as well but the thing with that lens is that it is really big and heavy. Thats why I didn't really like it.

Coming from DSLR, I find the 35/2 compact. XD Hahaha

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Zeiss Biogon to me is light .. but don't find it very compact.

Hi friends from the rangefinder section; hopefully I didn't post this in the wrong section with the new Leica subforum being implemented.

I recently damaged my 35mm f/2.5 Voigtlander color skopar pii and am looking to either upgrade or get the same lens.

I'm happy with the f/2.5 but sometimes I do need a faster speed lens, probably f2 is enough for me.
I've done some looking around and saw that the voigtlander 35mm f1.4 is pretty good lens but would like to seek opinion from users instead of reading off reviews.
Zeiss lenses are really good but they are pretty heavy and big... but would like to hear opinions as well. especially the zeiss biogon 35mm f2 or f2.8.
I haven't read much about the nikon or canon lenses as there aren't really a lot of people suggesting them for M cameras and my knowledge on them isn't that good.
I'm currently budgeting myself to either S$500-700, so i'm not looking at lenses like summicron.

Hopefully I can get some opinions and suggestions from fellow shooters before spending money on my next lens.

Thanks in advance!:D

I don't use the RF 35mm on film nor on a digital RF, but I do have the Canon ltm 35/1.8 and the CV35/1.4 MC on a modded A7.

The Canon 35/1.8 is a nice small lens.
Center sharp at wide open.
Sharpens up on the off center from f5.6-f8. (problematic on A7 with the thick filter stack, better now with a modded camera)
Flare tolerance is low, but I like the way it has veiling flare.
If you are looking at some 'pop' in the subject via utilizing shallow DOF, this lens is capable of that certainly and not behind the CV35/1.4 in this imo.

I wrote about some user impressions of the lens here :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475299&p=9037978&viewfull=1#post9037978

CV35/1.4, AFAIK, MC or SC not too big difference.
My version still flares despite the MC and I find the flare less pleasing compared to the Canon (more of a ghosting flare than a vintage looking veiling flare to me).
Its very center sharp at f1.4, but field curvature and bad interplay with the thick A7 filter stack makes anything off center a bit of a smudge.
This improves on a modded A7 to be decent enough for group shots (with ppl in the off center ) at f2.8.
To me, the f1.4 and field curvature (and vignette) all adds to give a very strong subject isolation effect when the subject is placed centrally.
This to me is the biggest strength of the CV35/1.4 (on the A7 at least).

I gave some user impressions of this lens here :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488003&p=9092870&viewfull=1#post9092870

I'm happy with either lens, which is why they are not sold.
They are not all round generalist lenses, imo, (ie. covers isolation and detail work as well as landscapes), though I love using them for walkabouts.

Like I said, I've not shot film and digital RF with it, though a Kolari modified A7 is often claimed to be rather close to a M240 for off-center performance in most wides (wrt for edge smearing).

Last edited:
get the same lens: 35/2.5 skopar is a great lens. doubt u will be happier with larger and more expensive lens ;p

One fun part with RF is the exploring bit, try all the lenses if you must, tick the lenses off one by one and before you know it, you'll be thinking about the Leicas and the Hexanons...

CV 35/1.7 Ultron is indeed a much rarer and legendary lens (one of the first aspherical design for Voigtlander then).

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81208

It is LTM mount so might not fit into TS's requirement as it needs a LTM to M adaptor (additional adaptor to carry). It is however one of best legacy 35mm lenses that I have used (apart from my Lux 35/1.4 Pre ASPH).

Thanks Pinhole for all the user reviews. I really liked the swirly balls for the CV 35 1.4. Will most probably get this if i can happen to chance upon another steal. Missed one a week ago when I hesitated from it....

get the same lens: 35/2.5 skopar is a great lens. doubt u will be happier with larger and more expensive lens ;p
I ended up sending my 35/2.5 for repair :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: Guess I'll stick with it for the time being then...

One fun part with RF is the exploring bit, try all the lenses if you must, tick the lenses off one by one and before you know it, you'll be thinking about the Leicas and the Hexanons...
I hope to get a 35 summicron in the future. But $$$ is an issue hahahaha

CV 35/1.7 Ultron is indeed a much rarer and legendary lens (one of the first aspherical design for Voigtlander then).

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81208

It is LTM mount so might not fit into TS's requirement as it needs a LTM to M adaptor (additional adaptor to carry). It is however one of best legacy 35mm lenses that I have used (apart from my Lux 35/1.4 Pre ASPH).

I have a LTM to M adaptor at home . So its okay for me. Its price is pretty close to the new MS optical 35 1.4. I'll probably give this a miss unless I really need the speed and the bang for bucks, but if I can get my hands on the MS optical 35, then i'll probably go for that one instead.

Thanks Pinhole for all the user reviews. I really liked the swirly balls for the CV 35 1.4. Will most probably get this if i can happen to chance upon another steal. Missed one a week ago when I hesitated from it....

I ended up sending my 35/2.5 for repair :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: Guess I'll stick with it for the time being then...

I hope to get a 35 summicron in the future. But $$$ is an issue hahahaha

I have a LTM to M adaptor at home . So its okay for me. Its price is pretty close to the new MS optical 35 1.4. I'll probably give this a miss unless I really need the speed and the bang for bucks, but if I can get my hands on the MS optical 35, then i'll probably go for that one instead.

The MS Optical is gonna be so difficult to get and since it will be limited number production (as with all previous Master Miyazaki's lenses), the price will balloon by the time it is available for second hand sale... I am waiting to see reviews on it when it is launched. Will be an interesting lens...