35mm lens and 18mm to 105mm lens

hamburger

Jun 19, 2011
Hi seniors,

35mm Prime lens and 18mm to 105mm kit lens which one has wider angle?

18mm has a wider angle of view compared to 35mm.

Hi seniors,

35mm Prime lens and 18mm to 105mm kit lens which one has wider angle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

in the meantime, i suggest that u shld read up on articles online or u can borrow books on photography from the library. u can also purchase such books from book stores as well

Oh okay Thanks...
So lets say I'm planning to take a wide angle shot so would you recommend using 35mm 1.8/1.4 or 18mm to 105mm 3.5 to 5.6 kit lens? Why?
I also understand that with 1.4 or 1.8 we can get a DOF but can we also increase the aperture so that there will be no DOF? Like for example I want every single of the picture to be clear?

35mm is not a wide angle lens? I'm not sure but it's stated as wide angle lens in Nikon.com.sg. I do not have a 35mm lens so cant really try it. =(

I said 35mm on a DX camera is not considered wide angle.

You have a 18-105mm kit lens right? Don't tell me you can't zoom to 18mm and 35mm on that lens?

Oh I'm so sorry. My bad. Oh so this is actually what I'm getting with a 35mm lens omg its so tight...

Yup, so for now stick to your kit lens for wide angle. Until you get poisoned by DX wide angle lenses...

Yup, so for now stick to your kit lens for wide angle. Until you get poisoned by DX wide angle lenses...

yup... i advise you to stick to your kit lens and familiarize yourself... then when u know your shooting interests and style and know what are you limited by, then make your next purchase.

after a while you will know... if u need something wider, or longer reach, or larger aperture etc ;)

Oh I'm so sorry. My bad. Oh so this is actually what I'm getting with a 35mm lens omg its so tight...

Your kit lens covers EVERY focal length from 18mm all the way through to 105mm.
Make use of it to see if that kind of focal length is suitable for you. That way you won't buy something like 35mm prime lens or 50mm prime lens and complain later that the field of view is hard to get used to.

The advantages of the 35/1.8DX prime lens:
1) Small and light (even compared with the 18-105 kit lens).
2) Large maximum aperture of f/1.8, which the kit lens cannot achieve. This helps with allowing more light to pass through (enables faster shutter speed in low light conditions), and also gives you the possibility of having a thinner Depth of Field (not "get a DOF" or "no DOF") than with the kit lens.
3) at the same focal length and aperture (eg. 35mm and f/5.6) as the kit lens, the image quality from the prime lens is better, IMHO.

Hmm I just brought my D7000 for a tour around my neighborhood and realise that I take more picture with 18mm and 50mm. One of my friend recommended me a tamron lens 17-55 2.8. He says that the 2.8 aperture will still be 2.8 even when its zoom till 55. Is that true? I'm frustrated with my kit lens speed. It's so slow... Even when I'm indoors.

Hmm I just brought my D7000 for a tour around my neighborhood and realise that I take more picture with 18mm and 50mm. One of my friend recommended me a tamron lens 17-55 2.8. He says that the 2.8 aperture will still be 2.8 even when its zoom till 55. Is that true? I'm frustrated with my kit lens speed. It's so slow... Even when I'm indoors.

i eventually got myself the tamron 17-50 because i knew i did a lot of indoor shooting and my camera body's high ISO performance wasn't good enough (d5000 followed by d300)... do u really need the constant aperture lens? (yes it will be 2.8 from 17-50, although probably in reality at 50mm it's actually 2.9 or something)

What do you mean by "kit lens speed" ?
If you're referring to shutter speed possible, then perhaps try to increase the ISO speed first?

my advice(2nd one) to you don't rush into buying such lens. familiarize yourself with the kit lens. it's more than suffice @ this point for you to understand the basics of wide angle(18mm) all the way to zooming(105mm). yes, the kit lens has variable aperture(unlike the fixed 17-55 f/2.8) but when you mention about 'clear picture', do you know that that by increasing the aperture of the kit lens itself can achieve such type of 'picture' that you want?

as others have advised before, some even kind enough to give you links, i encourage you not to jump into the 'buying spree' of other lens w/o knowing your style of shooting. read the notes avaialable in here. and talking about your 'slow kit lens,even when indoors', how do you define that?

there are other/additional settings(aperture/mounting flashlight/shutter speed/focusing point,iso etc) that you can manipulate with your cam to increase the speed of your lens. again, what 'speed' are we talking in here? zooming speed(focus hunting) or shutter speed?

Yeah I was referring to the shutter speed. I'm not very sure about increasing the iso which I eventually did. Noise level appear when I push the iso to a certain limit like 800 and 1600 both on different situations. Hmm the stuff that I'll be capturing are scenery, buildings, cars, street shot, people, concert and performance. I do enjoy taking shots at night especially with all those colorful lights, even on the tripod I got to set timer to make it less blurish. I go the tendency to shake the camera accidentally when I press the shutter button. Was wondering if 1.8/1.4 would help but I doubt it'll help much in low light right?

I really appreciate you guys for giving me comments and trying to stop me from getting a lens on impulse. =) The little problem I have on my kit lens (for now) is that when I shoot indoor even with the 18mm F3.5 the shutter speed is kinda slow and I do not want to use tripod for simple shots like that as it's quite troublesome. Not sure if i should increase the ISO as I do not want to have any visible noise in my picture...

if you want to capture night scenery, generally you're after sufficient depth of field to keep most things in focus.
that means smaller aperture, which means less light enters the lens. Thus shutter opening duration has to be prolonged to allow enough light to be captured.
If you're following my logic, you'll realize a stable support system is important.
If your camera can shake when you press the shutter release button, your tripod is too wobbly.

The little problem I have on my kit lens (for now) is that when I shoot indoor even with the 18mm F3.5 the shutter speed is kinda slow and I do not want to use tripod for simple shots like that as it's quite troublesome. Not sure if i should increase the ISO as I do not want to have any visible noise in my picture...

Alternatively you can use your built-in flash. If you think it's crappy then a standard SB-600 should suffice.

hello, ts im using the kit lens also (18-105) in the day time and i also felt that its quite hard to use during night time or low light, so my solution, i will switch to either 50mm or 35mm at night depending on what im shooting. so far no problem for me.. if indoor 35mm of cos its better. but if 35mm is still tight i would change to 18-105 and use a 3rd party ext flash.. so far no problem for me also but thats me im not sure about you...

sometime a simple external flash or built in flash with diffuser will solve your problem. dont really have to buy a new lens for indoor shooting as kit lens is from 108-105 =D. unless u wan 18 or lower than its different case haha...

anyway tamron 17-50mm is a good choice also.... as its constant 2.8 hmm but do note that non vc got better iq than the vc =)

Hey Thanks guys.. I understand that you guys are trying to stop me from buying lens on impulse. I've taken my D7000 for a tour these few days and realise that I used the 18mm more frequently. I'm also quite curious what is the ND that the people here talk about. Do they also help to enhance photography?