35mm help!

jrhellboy

Mar 2, 2011
Hello all! I'm using a d5000 and i've been considering getting a 35mm lens for walk about / portrait photography. However i'm torn between the 35mm f2.0 (for full frame) and the 35mm f1.8g lens. I understand that if i get the f2.0 i'll have around a 50mm lens but i'm okay with it (i do better with manual focus too). the problem here is i'm not sure which lens has better optical quality or bokeh. there's also the sigma 30mm but the price is putting me off. oh well.. how?

get the 35mm f1.8. It's designed for DX sensor. You can practise manual focus on it too.

Not that great for Bokeh, however.

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm using a d5000 and i've been considering getting a 35mm lens for walk about / portrait photography. However i'm torn between the 35mm f2.0 (for full frame) and the 35mm f1.8g lens. I understand that if i get the f2.0 i'll have around a 50mm lens but i'm okay with it (i do better with manual focus too). the problem here is i'm not sure which lens has better optical quality or bokeh. there's also the sigma 30mm but the price is putting me off. oh well.. how?

Just one clarification, whether you get the 35mm f2 or the 35mm f1.8, you will still get around a 50mm equivalent.

This link crystalises several big reviews of the 35mm f1.8 including the one by Bjørn Rørslett

http://www.dpnotes.com/nikon-35mm-f18g-reviews/

Looks like it is a winner in many departments. Small price, and can be "used" on FX, and even if you want to switch to an FX lens, the price tag is not too painful.

Ryan

Both lenses are 35mm. Irregardless of whether they are DX or FX lenses, they are still 35mm. So both lenses on your camera will give you the same FOV of 52mm. 35/2 do not have a built in AF motor, so it will not AF on your D5000. The 35/1.8 has AF motor, so it will AF with your D5000. And seriously speaking, the 35/1.8 is actually sharper and cheaper than the 35/2.

But if you still like the 35/2 more and prefer to do manual focusing, it is your call too.

the 35mm f/2 looks better on the design...
i will personally prefers the f/2...
the f1.8 looks funny... so its out for me if i am to buy either of these 2 lens...
its true how the lens look dont play a part in picture taking...
but i just like my stuff to looks nice...

twisted illusion said:
the f1.8 looks funny... so its out for me if i am to buy either of these 2 lens...

Must consider his body also, got looks but no AF is like paying more for less leh.

looks? based decisions on looks of the equipment? wow!

Now that is taking "jewellery" up to a whole new level.

LOL. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

BTW, my condolences.

I prefer it to look uglier while producing prettier results.

I would recommend AFS 35/1.8G because you get AF capability and it's a real value-for-money lens. Heard many good things about sigma 30/1.4, which you can consider if your budget can stretch for it.
Basically I feel that it's between these 2 choices.
35/2 would not be on my shortlist, esp to pair with a D5000.

get the 35mm f1.8. It's designed for DX sensor. You can practise manual focus on it too.

Not that great for Bokeh, however.

bro how come you say bokeh not that great? Specifically the smoothness or the fact that DOF is not very thin?
35 on DX gets you thin DOF only if you go rather close to subject. Stand more than 3m away and you're practically going towards infinity focus, thus DOF is not very thin.

Wow, look over performance? Like DD123 said, my condolences. Why not you buy the f1.8 then stick glitter all over it and make it "bling"? :bsmilie:

Wow, look over performance? Like DD123 said, my condolences. Why not you buy the f1.8 then stick glitter all over it and make it "bling"? :bsmilie:

If I buy some crystals and stick them on the lens, will the photos have more bling? :)

ZerocoolAstra said:
If I buy some crystals and stick them on the lens, will the photos have more bling? :)

Haha maybe through the reflection and refraction of light through your crystals, it might work :bsmilie:

just get the 35 f/1.8 ... doesn't make sense to get a more expensive 35 f/2 that can't AF right? unless you have the intention to sell your D5K within a fortnight and purchase a FF camera after getting the 35 f/2

just get the 35 f/1.8 ... doesn't make sense to get a more expensive 35 f/2 that can't AF right? unless you have the intention to sell your D5K within a fortnight and purchase a FF camera after getting the 35 f/2

By the way, I got my 35 f/1.8 in Shanghai. Cheaper by $100 (I think... can't remember). They are made there anyway.

UncleFai said:
By the way, I got my 35 f/1.8 in Shanghai. Cheaper by $100 (I think... can't remember). They are made there anyway.

Not really by $100. Price is 1300 rmb without warranty. With warranty add 4.5% for the fa piao. But also depends on the exchange rate.

And ya, the 35/1.8 is made in Nikon's factory in Wuxi, Jiangsu province IIRC.

Hello! And i've decided to get the 35mm f1.8g. haha. THANKS MUCH!