35mm film: Any reason to use it these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terence said:
Unless someone makes a digital panoramic camera capable of medium format resolution, I'll still stick to film for my panoramic needs.

got, but see bei $$$$$$

jdredd said:
got, but see bei $$$$$$

Exactly, upwards from $20k for a decent MF digital back with panoramic attacment... really not a viable solution for an amateur. Bulky, expensive, and not entirely mobile.

although those P45 large backs are now being compared as equivalent to large format..
i remember on luminous landscape they feel the 1dS Mark II is equivalent to medium format reso now,,, thats cheaper, but still ex..

Terence said:
Exactly, upwards from $20k for a decent MF digital back with panoramic attacment... really not a viable solution for an amateur. Bulky, expensive, and not entirely mobile.
:eek: Can pay off my car loan liao.... :sweat:

I would not use digital for my own wedding...
I'd go for film on that.
Other things, digital is more convenient...

synapseman said:
Seems that Nikon and Canon (and most everybody else) are ceasing production of 35mm SLRs. ...
So how much longer can film hold out?

Are you talking about film in general or 35mm film in particular? The reason for the success of 35mm film in a world previously dominated by larger film formats may have been compact cameras that were fast to handle and could take many pictures without having to reload film, plus the film was cheap (small negative size). This is where current digicams excel. As far as image quality is concerned, 35mm "miniature" format was always considered a compromise.

The demand for 35mm film may thus develop very differently from that of the larger formats. However, the economics of larger format film production may be affected if the 35mm mass market breaks away.

I have never used film cameras before other than the instant snap. I started my photography interest with the Sony Mavica Diskette drive camera (horrible pics) which is abt 1997 (i think). From then on, it has been digital all the way. However, I appreciate film photos no matter what. The depth and contrast of the photo is just different. This is even more obvious with Black and White Photography. Black and white photographers will never switch to digital simply because the depth is not there. Digital photos converted to black and white just look colourless.

Saying all the above, the consumer is the driver of all industries. There will not be enough of the above type of photographers to justify the production of film. Worst of all, many of my film photographer friends complained that sometimes their photos are spoilt because the chemical has not been used for a while and it spoilt the photos.

Just a matter of time before film disappear

Ihsan Chua said:
Saying all the above, the consumer is the driver of all industries. There will not be enough of the above type of photographers to justify the production of film. Worst of all, many of my film photographer friends complained that sometimes their photos are spoilt because the chemical has not been used for a while and it spoilt the photos.

Just a matter of time before film disappear

Several years ago, a colleage quoted some industry sources saying that films will be dead in 4 years. I gave him a chance of making some easy money. I gave him a bet with a 1:1000 odds. But a mininum of SGD1000.00. Now 6 years down the road, film is still around, and rollei came up wth a very inovatve 35mm B&W film, and Ilford came up with new print developers.

Platinum processes and other processes (a lot more expensive and troublesome way of making prints) are reviving.

I am sorry for your friends. My chemicals are fine, And they are fine because I use them. Fortunately there are still many like me, rather than your friends.

Film may die. But I think you, I, and horses will be long gone before film's demise.

student said:
Several years ago, a colleage quoted some industry sources saying that films will be dead in 4 years. I gave him a chance of making some easy money. I gave him a bet with a 1:1000 odds. But a mininum of SGD1000.00. Now 6 years down the road, film is still around, and rollei came up wth a very inovatve 35mm B&W film, and Ilford came up with new print developers.

Platinum processes and other processes (a lot more expensive and troublesome way of making prints) are reviving.

I am sorry for your friends. My chemicals are fine, And they are fine because I use them. Fortunately there are still many like me, rather than your friends.

Film may die. But I think you, I, and horses will be long gone before film's demise.

I agree with you that film will be around for some time more. However there are decreasing users of film these days. Until the day digital camera can get the colour of film, film will still be around.

smtan24 said:
I agree with you that film will be around for some time more. However there are decreasing users of film these days. Until the day digital camera can get the colour of film, film will still be around.

Even if digital can get the color of film ( and I believe digital has! ) film will still be around, again NOT for the reasons which is better, but because the processes and the output (particularly B&W) is different.

A very simplistic analogy.

For practical/routine purposes of travelling, nobody in his right mind (of course there are those "crazy ones") would like to cycle from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. Cars and trains and buses and planes have not stopped people cycling. Cycling is now not primarily the prefered medium of travel, but it is still very popular for other reasons.

student said:
Even if digital can get the color of film ( and I believe digital has! ) film will still be around, again NOT for the reasons which is better, but because the processes and the output (particularly B&W) is different.

A very simplistic analogy.

For practical/routine purposes of travelling, nobody in his right mind (of course there are those "crazy ones") would like to cycle from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. Cars and trains and buses and planes have not stopped people cycling. Cycling is now not primarily the prefered medium of travel, but it is still very popular for other reasons.

I never though of it that way. I suppose that would also be true. Everybody now is digital crazy.

Somebody in Hong Kong Contax Club Forum made an interesting comment: he was saying something like maybe one day digital cam long gone but film cam may still be around ........

fuwen said:
Somebody in Hong Kong Contax Club Forum made an interesting comment: he was saying something like maybe one day digital cam long gone but film cam may still be around ........

Possible... a Canon EOS D30 might have been out of production, and compared a EOS 1 series.... I think the chance will be the film camera is more lasting than a DSLR.. and if you compare it with FM 10 or those manual SLR... I think it is even outstanding!!!

Only issue... will 35mm film still be in production??? :think:

Well, if film dies I'd be pretty upset, though I'm not a heavy user and am shooting primarily digital. Personally, I enjoy the characteristics of a street scene rendered on ISO 800 film...so gritty and moody. Again, this is just based on very limited experience.

fWord said:
Well, if film dies I'd be pretty upset, though I'm not a heavy user and am shooting primarily digital. Personally, I enjoy the characteristics of a street scene rendered on ISO 800 film...so gritty and moody. Again, this is just based on very limited experience.

I think film will be more expensive in future due to being a niche market.

But I hope it will survive....

Digital are still not every thing. Digitial requires battery charging capabiity. In many parts of the world charging for digitial camera's battery is still a problem as many of them still don't have constant supply of electricity, for countries like this, film still goes hands down.

Many of the singapore film fans here have stocked up a lot of film in their fridge. I personally stocks up 100 rolls of 35 mm films to be available anytime i want it.

So in my opinion fil will still be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.