35mm DX f1.8 Or 50mm f1.8?

Sgdevilzz

May 16, 2010
hi guys, im stuck between these 2 lenses. I use a D5000 but the f1.8D doesn't Auto-focus on my camera body. Some even say you cant connect the lens to a D5000.

Need feedback and reviews please!

thanks~!

Read the reviews, test the lenses and create your own feedback for yourself...

hi guys, im stuck between these 2 lenses. I use a D5000 but the f1.8D doesn't Auto-focus on my camera body. Some even say you cant connect the lens to a D5000.

thanks~!

Can mount but cannot auto focus.

Recommend 35mm instead of 50mm on crop body due to the field of view.
50mm on DX will be tight.

You can definitely mount the AF-D 50mm f/1.8 to your D5000 but you will need to manual focus as D5000 does not have the AF screw like its bigger brothers.

Turn your kit lens to 35mm and 50mm and try to use them for a day each to see which is the focal length that you're more comfortable with :)

As long as ur on a crop body and wish to use a prime lens for more than just shoulder/head portraits I suggest taking the 35mm over the 50mm. More versatile, I went through the same process as you did, chose the 35 in the end and did not regret it a single bit!

thanks~!
sad to say for these to range, nikon lens doesn't come with motor

if u wan to auto-focus on ur d5000 is go for sigma with build-in HSM, but the price is much higher

strange, usually the shop will advise u above :dunno:

if possible, sell the d5000 and get a d90 with screw drive to power the 50mm and get both the 50 and 35mm cause both have their own uses =) but thats if ur a prime user. if not then just get a tamron 17-50 2.8 and use the whole range @2.8 =) its not too bad either

Oh well, if $$ is not an issue, you can also consider the AFS 50mm F/1.4. It'll AF on the D5k.

For general walkabout, I'd prefer the 35mm F/1.8. In fact my 24mm F/2.8 is in cold storage for now, even tho' I'm using D90.

i have both and although i prefer the 50mm, the 35mm is more useful for day-to-day use, especially family dinners etc due to the fov.

I have used this lens for a while, soft at f1.8, ok at f2.8, sharpest at f8. Overall a great lens for the money. :thumbsup:

thanks~!

Depends on ur uses and expectations for it.. if u nt comfortable with MF and FOV change, 35DX makes more sense as a walk bt..

I sold my 50mm 1.8D as I'm also a D5000 user.

I thought I could work with MF but I was wrong. The viewfinder on D5000 is really too dark and small for me to determine the focus.

Sold 50mm and got 35mm without looking back.
Great lens no doubt.

35mm f/1.8! :thumbsup:

35mm more versatile in a tide space. 50mm better for head & shoulder portrait and you have to mannual focus. You choose :)