35mm,85mm Do I need them when I have 50mm? Comments? Opinions? Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDAphoto

Jun 23, 2011
I have a 50mm f1.4, I intend to buy a 35mm and 80mm f1.4.
The price is not cheap for them, 700-800 and 400 sgd respectively.

I was told that the 50mm just take 1 and a half step behind, and I will have what I see in the 35mm.
So if I take 1 and a half steps infront, I will have 80mm.

Yes, I tested with a 28-80mm lens. 1 and a half steps from 50mm-85mm. And for 35mm and 50mm, it's only 1 step.

I don't actually need to buy them right?
If I really need that lens for that picture I am looking for, just don't take it. No big deal.

Comments? Opinions? Experiences?

*what about the 10-20mm/28-28mm?
**I am using a Film SLR atm, no crop factor problem.
***Mainly doing street and portrait photography.

Last edited:
You have to decide yourself what you need and what you prefer.

If not getting that picture is of no issue, don't buy anything else. :bsmilie:

But if it's buying for the sake of buying something, BBB! :p

For streets do you need such large aperture? Can f/2 and above do the job? :)

true.

I am very confused, I read some blog saying that the 35mm suits him better than the 50mm.
Mentioning that the 28mm was too wide and the 50mm was too long.
So, 35mm was inbetween 28 and 50mm.

My guess is that he likes sticking to 1 lens, 1 fast lens so can do portrait and street and everything.
Anyway, here's the link » Why shooting with just a 35mm lens WILL improve your photography

My question for him is, why not just buy a 50mm and take 1 and a half step back?
Guess I got to ask him this :/

true.

I am very confused, I read some blog saying that the 35mm suits him better than the 50mm.

My guess is that he likes sticking to 1 lens, 1 fast lens so can do portrait and street and everything.
Anyway, here's the link » Why shooting with just a 35mm lens WILL improve your photography

My question for him is, why not just buy a 50mm and take 1 and a half step back?

You already said it suits him better. Why not think about what suits you? Everyone's shooting style is different, you have to decide for yourself.

true.

it may not work for everyone.

some prefer 50 over 35

myself prefer 35 over 50.

I think I know why.
His camera is Fuji X100.
Crop factor is 1.5x, after the multiplication 35mm is 52.5

true.

You need to know what you are lacking and not what everyone is getting. For me, neither 35, 50, 85 will work...cos I prefer zooms over then :p

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.