350Didi needs help


Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoYo

New Member
Dec 26, 2005
25
0
0
New DSLR user, 350 didi (little brother) needs some fellow users advice...

I seem to notice that unless in the most perfect of conditions - (slowly focus, compose, adjust swee swee and stay very still then shoot), the pics are not really that sharp, I wonder am I just sucky or the images are really not that sharp. I compared pics with a fren thats using a 10D, her images are super damn sharp.

Am currently using a 350D with 17-40mm f4L. Some say the 20D though 8MP like 350D actually has a better CMOS?? Is that true?

Ok folks, like I say, I am a newbie jsut wanna seek forum lao chiao's advice and opinion.

Thanks!!
 

n0d3

Senior Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
36
What you've given to us is not sufficient to tell you where the problem lies. Care to post some of your images that are "sucky" or 'really not that sharp" so we can pinpoint your problem?

It doesn't matter which one has a better CMOS whatever, when you resize it to something like 600x400 there would hardly be any difference.
 

topster

New Member
Nov 22, 2005
237
0
0
17-40mm F/4L is not a fast lens and people need to understand that. Shooting without flash indoors with moderate/low light requires extra effort and minimal movement from the subjects to obtain 'sharp' images.

And yeah, show us some sample pics with more info
 

ShaoWei

Member
Aug 27, 2005
143
0
16
Planet Earth
well, there're many factors that may contribute to your unsharp pictures.
I've seen bad copies of the 17-40 myself, and thus might want to get hold of a test chart to check the lens. borrow another body to confirm that as well. We'll be able to help better also if you can show us some of the pictures that you claim unsharp.
 

studiolabmaster

New Member
Mar 15, 2004
1,472
0
0
Tampines SG
try using f5.6 or 8 to see if the pic is sharp.mostly newbie will start with a or p or green square mode.the aperture is set to wide open most of the time.just my thinking...............
 

n0d3

Senior Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
36
studiolabmaster said:
try using f5.6 or 8 to see if the pic is sharp.mostly newbie will start with a or p or green square mode.the aperture is set to wide open most of the time.just my thinking...............
For the kind of money you're paying for an "L" lens it should be sharp wide open, unless you got a lousy copy which shouldn't happen.
 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
n0d3 said:
For the kind of money you're paying for an "L" lens it should be sharp wide open, unless you got a lousy copy which shouldn't happen.
Yup the 17-40mm is sharp wide open at f4. I suspect it's Yoyoyo's technique rather than faulty equipment that's resulting in unsharp pics.
 

benedium

New Member
Jun 19, 2004
1,204
0
0
www.photo.net
To rest assured there's nothing wrong with your camera or lens, you can put your camera on tripod and set timer and then shoot something. If the picture is sharp then there is nothing wrong with your camera or lens ;)
 

YoYoYo

New Member
Dec 26, 2005
25
0
0
thanks all for your advice, i think its my water gun technique bah, but nonetheless i have sold my 350D and managed to get my hands on a new 20D (though new model might be coming....sigh....), but now its very very very sharp, FWAH, so happy!!

anyhow someone mentioned about aperture, i think its the case of most of time i am using AP priority and failed to take note of the shutter speed which might be below 125 at times and plus my hand gun job, so pics not sharp, however i will improve!!!

have a great new year guys!
 

Xing

Senior Member
Nov 4, 2004
1,048
0
36
Lower Seletar Reservoir
Wah, the 350D also a very capable camera leh, so fast sell oredi ah... it's capability is almost as good as 20D, think I would pick it for it's size, with the vertical grip it's very handy and comfortable. Unlike the 20D which is quite bulky ;p
 

n0d3

Senior Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
36
Wow 350D upgrade to 20D can take better pictures? I also want to try.
 

drumma

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2005
6,299
0
36
32
Oulu, Finland, Finland
www.wongliji.com
n0d3 said:
Wow 350D upgrade to 20D can take better pictures? I also want to try.
lol..i too would like to try..
did u take note of the settings like iso, shutter speed and aperture? perhaps upgrading to 1dmk2 even better.. even faster. can't miss and perhaps u can make money out of ur images!! :devil:
 

n0d3

Senior Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
36
drumma said:
lol..i too would like to try..
did u take note of the settings like iso, shutter speed and aperture? perhaps upgrading to 1dmk2 even better.. even faster. can't miss and perhaps u can make money out of ur images!! :devil:
:bsmilie:
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,230
0
36
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
YoYoYo said:
i have sold my 350D and managed to get my hands on a new 20D (though new model might be coming....sigh....), but now its very very very sharp, FWAH, so happy!!
Wah! YoYoYo have very deep pockets eh! So fast upgrade to 20D!
 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
YoYoYo said:
thanks all for your advice, i think its my water gun technique bah, but nonetheless i have sold my 350D and managed to get my hands on a new 20D (though new model might be coming....sigh....), but now its very very very sharp, FWAH, so happy!!

anyhow someone mentioned about aperture, i think its the case of most of time i am using AP priority and failed to take note of the shutter speed which might be below 125 at times and plus my hand gun job, so pics not sharp, however i will improve!!!

have a great new year guys!
Actually I think its more of your technique which you have improved on rather then the camera!

The 350D is quite similar in performance to the 20D, with the exception of superior construction and additional features for the latter.
 

YoYoYo

New Member
Dec 26, 2005
25
0
0
Guys, no offence but do i sense a tinge of sarcasm? :) dun get me wrong guys, all i am saying is, yes my technique sucks which i am improving and on a separate note, i happened to have sold my 350D and gotten a 20D, and lastly i am now getting sharper pics, i dun mean that its the camera that makes the difference, no offence to fellow 350D users.

I have big hands and had to get the 350D due to lack of budget initially but i happened to have sold it at a good price and topped up to get a 20D.

So peace guys, me newbie still have lots to learn from new guys, no offence to anyone if i may have sounded otherwise. We all know too well how things may sound over the forum dun we? No pun intended.

Have fun shooting. :)
 

kcuf2

Senior Member
Dec 29, 2005
1,783
2
38
KFC
YoYoYo said:
Guys, no offence but do i sense a tinge of sarcasm? :) dun get me wrong guys, all i am saying is, yes my technique sucks which i am improving and on a separate note, i happened to have sold my 350D and gotten a 20D, and lastly i am now getting sharper pics, i dun mean that its the camera that makes the difference, no offence to fellow 350D users.

I have big hands and had to get the 350D due to lack of budget initially but i happened to have sold it at a good price and topped up to get a 20D.

So peace guys, me newbie still have lots to learn from new guys, no offence to anyone if i may have sounded otherwise. We all know too well how things may sound over the forum dun we? No pun intended.

Have fun shooting. :)
yoyoyo, dun worry abt all the comments made by the above ppl, there are tonnes of these ppl in here...anyway, have fun with ur 20D and enjoy it! (What you feel is much better than wat others think)
 

n0d3

Senior Member
Feb 3, 2003
1,511
0
36
It was all in good fun lah. Don't take it too seriously.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.