350D vs 30D

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysum

Apr 18, 2006
Hey quite a while ago I was getting views from the readers of this forum about which EOS camera system would be good for me and thanks for your comments!

I've now got 2 cameras in mind, the EOS 350D and the EOS 30D.

I've looked at the specifications and don't see that much of a difference. Size may be an issue, but I don't mind getting a battery grip to make up for it.

So I was just wondering, which one is better? And why is there such a huge difference in price [EOS 350D: SGD 1599, EOS 30D: SGD 2499(w/o kit lens) taken from Canon Singapore website] with the features being around the same?

Thanks!

To God be the glory, M Y SUM signing out!

it also has the boost iso feature for usage at really cannot make it situation. The look of it with the grip makes me drool..And not to mention the ergonomics of the camera is better than the 350d

Most important:
30d has spot metering and the 5fps which is pretty attractive (for my case, and the 5fps is great for my kind of shoots - wildlife) and it also boast a larger lcd screen.

Although I have not used the 350D before for shoots but I have handled it before, the difference is the built and the controls.

Pardon me if I am wrong. If u are a manual user, u would appreciate the 2 dials of shutter and aperture control. If I am correct, 350D has only 1 and u have to press something to activate the other control. But i am really not sure. U have to try to test it out.

The second is weight. I am used to heavy cameras (but not too heavy lah like the professional series). If camera is too light weight for me, I will tend to shake. When I am using 30D with battery grip, i can go up to 1/20 without shake. I really appreciate heavy cameras due to their stability.

The others are all the features that u may or may not need. I believe that there is a difference in image quality. Between 30D and 20D, according to professional internet reviewers like imaging resource is the high saturation of red in 30D which may appeal to consumers taste. I did notice the colour diff between my friend's 20D and my 30D. It came close to Nikon's red and blue during my last shoot when I used both cameras for model shoots . However, this is my own personal observation and may not hold true. Please do not hammer me on this pt.

Just my 2 cents worth for your consideration

since the specs and money don't seem much of an issue, go and try out the cameras and choose the one that u feel better about.

I've not used both before, but base on the manual, the control layout of 30D is better. For me, 30D anytime.

jeffhiew said:
I've not used both before, but base on the manual, the control layout of 30D is better. For me, 30D anytime.

Layout of control is definitely better. Since u have the budget and dun want to regret later, get the 30D because it is just a matter of time u upgrade.

i got the 30D because if felt more comfortable to hold and i like the bigger screen..

was at a racing event yesterday and had a chance to also try out the 5 FPS... and i knew i made the right decision..

jdredd said:
i got the 30D because if felt more comfortable to hold and i like the bigger screen..

Totally agree... was leaning towards the 350D at first cos of $$ but once I tried handling both, 30D was the obvious choice. And now that I have it, no regrets!

The 350D grip was too small for my hand (long fingers) so it made it uncomfortable to hold. Weight was the next factor, heavier & more stable better than plastic toy feel... Finally, I didn't want to 'outgrow' the 350D (making the cross from film SLR to DSLR) and have to upgrade later. So went straight for the 30D.

Of course it will all boil down to what you feel most comfy with, what fits your budget and what will suit your needs down the road. Must not regret later.

hello,

My opinion is that the 350d grip is really too small for most hands. Even with the grip, the holding may still be akward due to the shape of it.

Another key feature of the 30d over the 350d is the much brighter viewfinder on the 30d. 350d more tunnel vision and dim, not helpful in low light trying to check your focus.

And focusing is better on the 30d with its improved algorithm. Also the larger LCD makes it much easier to check your shots.

5 fps and spot metering is nice to have, though not everyone must need/use it.

30D lah! if u take 30D,shoot a while, then take 350D. u will feel one is a camera, one is a toy!

no offence... haa haa jus a bit small and light

I bought the 350d after i sold my d70 one year ago because i like the small size and weight. I now find the grip too small and awkward but i still prefer it to bigger and heavier cameras.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

mysum said:
I've looked at the specifications and don't see that much of a difference.

u got to be kidding.

which also means that u need to learn more or else u can easily be duped by crafty salesmen

basically 30d is one rung better than 350d in the hierarchy, in terms of ergonomics and functions. pic quality i daresay both are on par

mysum said:
Hey quite a while ago I was getting views from the readers of this forum about which EOS camera system would be good for me and thanks for your comments!

I've now got 2 cameras in mind, the EOS 350D and the EOS 30D.

I've looked at the specifications and don't see that much of a difference. Size may be an issue, but I don't mind getting a battery grip to make up for it.

So I was just wondering, which one is better? And why is there such a huge difference in price [EOS 350D: SGD 1599, EOS 30D: SGD 2499(w/o kit lens) taken from Canon Singapore website] with the features being around the same?

Thanks!

To God be the glory, M Y SUM signing out!

Having used both cameras before, I'd strongly recommend the 30D from a User Interface perspective.

The 30D is a much better camera in terms of handling. The 350D is IMO a PITA to use. Just My Opinion so 350D users chill.

Best you try out both cameras at a store before committing, you might not mind the 350Ds UI. But I can't stand it as I expect to be able to understand 90% of the camera within 5-10mins of fiddling around with it. With the 30D I had no problems, but with the 350D the Instruction Manual was required.

aye aye! i agree as well. took my fren's 350D out to shoot a bit. wah... headache... 5 mins later, i switch back to my D70s. I remembered the time I first got my D70s. very quickly I got the hang of it already.

get something u can be comfortable with lor. else u might spend too much time figuring out the camera. and there is alot to figure out!

I used the 30D once on the very day it was released... A kind photographer lend me for a couple of mins and i really like it..

Final decision still lies with you... I fully recommend the 30D in term of pricing and built over the 350D... You will have no regert getting the 30D... :)

oh, one other thing i love about the 30D over the 350D..

having the scroll wheel at the back, instead of 4 way buttons.. makes for much faster on the fly adjustment of controls..

but if you are just startign out... in terms of picture quality, both will give the same quality..

Had the same problem deciding between 350D and 20D when I finally switch from film to digital six months ago. In the end got the 350D with grip after much consideration.

The 30D is a great camera in it's own merits, and if this is your first DSLR, and can afford it, just get the 30D and be happy for the next couple of years. It all boils down to personal preference. I'm standing at 1.8m and the small camera doesn't bother me a bit. I have more things to consider than worrying about the size of the camera when shooting my subjects.

The 30D's advantage over the 350D is 5fps, spot metering, 1/3 incremental ISO settings, bigger LCD screen and IMO handles better. Image quality is equally impressive on both cameras and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if taken with same glass and capable hands. You'll have to decide whether you need all these extras on the 30D to justify the price difference. Most are good to have and not need to have......all depends on your shooting needs and style.

If you travel a lot, like I do, you'll appreciate the lighter weight of the smaller brother. I have quite a collection of EF lenses from my film EOSes, so lenses are not a factor for me. So if budget is a serious consideration for you as well, I'll recommend saving that $700 for the 350D with kit lens over the 30D body only, and using it to get better glass (lens) or/and even a decent external flash unit.

Happy shopping.....:thumbsup: ;)

Hi,

To really think there is little difference between the 350D and the 30D means (have not held both and not used both).

They are a world apart.

Hold a 350D then a 30D.

Set up a 350D and take a few shots, then do the same with the 30D.

Then do it again in continuous shooting.

30D feels better.

30D sets up better.

30D is faster.

30D has spot metering, bigger easier to read LCD etc

Much more in many ways.

If you have the money, buy a 30D.

If money is there, but only just, buy the 350D and put the rest to a good lens.

Cheers :)

ianpaice said:
And focusing is better on the 30d with its improved algorithm. Also the larger LCD makes it much easier to check your shots.

If this is true, then no need to consider anymore ........30D.:D

Another option if you are tight on the budget is to buy a used 20d at about $1400 - $1600 depending on age and condition. Of course some may argue that the price diff between a 20d and 30d may not be substantial enough to warrant a recommendation on the 20d.... but if funds are tight, then 20d may be an option. And in my past experience with both cam, the 20d is definitely a better cam over the 350d in some very impt ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.