350d or d70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugsz

Aug 14, 2006
any suggestion on which should i get?

Why have you narrowed your choice down to these 2 models? Have you handled both of them before?

Search around the forums for comparison.

get a nikon! haha. nikon rocks!!!!

seriously, if you're starting from scratch, any one of them will do. but i u intend to do more lowlight shots, then the 350D has better lowlight performances and less noise.

bugsz said:
any suggestion on which should i get?

If you had to decide between just these two models - the D70s.
The UI of the D70s is streets ahead of the 350D as is the build quality and handling.

Tetrode said:
If you had to decide between just these two models - the D70s.
The UI of the D70s is streets ahead of the 350D as is the build quality and handling.
UI is just a matter of getting used to. The most important part of UI in a camera is the viewfinder+shutter button, which is no different either way. :D Read the manual, use the camera and in time you'll get familiarised.

Build quality, I have no comment as I haven't had the opportunity to evaluate a D70s side-by-side with my 350D, although I find the 350D build quality quite acceptable for a consumer DSLR.

What do you mean when you say it has better handling? I thought that was the photographer's job.:sweat:

fireframe said:
UI is just a matter of getting used to. The most important part of UI in a camera is the viewfinder+shutter button, which is no different either way. :D Read the manual, use the camera and in time you'll get familiarised.

Build quality, I have no comment as I haven't had the opportunity to evaluate a D70s side-by-side with my 350D, although I find the 350D build quality quite acceptable for a consumer DSLR.

What do you mean when you say it has better handling? I thought that was the photographer's job.:sweat:
for build d70s is far better than 350d, i handled both and even my friend who used 350d said that when he handle my d50 (d70s is slightly better, but to i prefer the back dial on d50 rather than d70s)

ExplorerZ said:
for build d70s is far better than 350d, i handled both and even my friend who used 350d said that when he handle my d50 (d70s is slightly better, but to i prefer the back dial on d50 rather than d70s)

i would prefer the D80...looks better...more function...got vertical grip...:embrass:

I did some comparsion between mine and friend's D70 & found as follows:-

1. I have smaller hands and found 350D nicer to grip than D70; simply to big for my liking! But D70 has a better built as compared.
2. 350D react better in low light condition, lesser noice, higher pixel.
3. D70 has a richer color in daylight, user-friendly AF bracket.
4. Prefer canon lens to nikon (personal preference)

Ultimate, both cam has it's pro & cons, it just a matter of trying it out & see for yourself.

fireframe said:

No it isn't. A well designed UI will allow you to learn it's controls w/o the need to refer to the instruction manual. If one (an experienced photographer) can't learn to use 90-95% of the functions just by playing with the camera for 5-10mins, it's UI sucks IMO.

Handling as in how good the camera feels/sits in your hand, how the controls fall into place, how easy it is to manipulate the cameras controls. e.g. Do you have to take your eye off the VF to change certain settings (ISO, WB, AF points), how easy is it to change these settings.

The D70s is not perfect, far from it but it is a damn sight better than the 350D IMO.

If a person hasn't handled EITHER camera, they STILL need to familiarise themselves with the UI. For a person who has handled a Nikon, usually the UI of a Nikon would seem to be better, ditto a Canon user.

I used a Nikon FM2 & F601 in my film days and now I've switched to Canon. Didn't take me more than an hour to find out what went where and what I needed to do to activate the function I needed at that time.

So I disagree that UI should come naturally. The basics yes, but the overall UI is still down to being familiar with it.

G-man said:
If a person hasn't handled EITHER camera, they STILL need to familiarise themselves with the UI. For a person who has handled a Nikon, usually the UI of a Nikon would seem to be better, ditto a Canon user.

I used a Nikon FM2 & F601 in my film days and now I've switched to Canon. Didn't take me more than an hour to find out what went where and what I needed to do to activate the function I needed at that time.

So I disagree that UI should come naturally. The basics yes, but the overall UI is still down to being familiar with it.

I still disagree. A cameras UI should be intuitive - I'm sure you would not want to spend an hour learning how to drive a car that you just hired, likewise, one shouldn't have to spend hours leafing over the manual to learn the controls of a camera esp if one has been in photography for a while. You want to just get in there and use it.

Also - the thing with Canon is that they tend to change their UI with each new model the bring out (with the exception of their pro models) and the 350D's UI doesn't match that of the others in the range. Some of their models are a breeze to learn how to use, others like the 350D aren't.

Nikon tends to maintain their UI over a couple of generations but even then, their interfaces are rather intuitive and easy to learn. There have been some exceptions however - like the F70 which was a disaster in interface design.

Big Kahuna said:
D70s.....no horse run :thumbsup:

i 2nd to his opinion.. :sweatsm:

there're tons of comparision if these 2 on the net

i personally own a D70s and have handled 350D before...

UI: i dun have strong argument rgding any ...
I do agree that UI should be intuitive and it's comparable. It IS comparable. ... it's like software of Motorola is harder to use compared with Nokia or Sony erricson. But on the other hand, one can get used to it by playing with it. I won't buy a dslr to say that its UI sucks and will switch to other brand/model .... without much time of usage, one will get used to and have no big prob with it

Feel: D70s anytime. There might be ppl who dun believe in "feel". I do. 350D feels plasticy and small in ur hand (even though i've really really small hand). D70s feel steady ... good in my hand. About this i dun think you have to read once u decide to get either, go down to the shop, ask them to let u try...

Noise: agreed 350D better, not a big deal for me personally since i shoot in daytime much more (judging from the percentage of pix i shot during daytime)

Kit lens: (unless u go for body only) D70s anytime, 18-70 is a very good walkabout, general lens, not just longer zoom compared to 18-55 of 350D. Still using my kit lens, partly due to tight budget :)

resolution: it's obvious 8Mp vs. 6Mp but it matters more if u need big print.

Overall, i'm happy with my choice
If there's one day that i switch to canon, gotta be 20D or 30D

btw, about noise handling, read review that D80 is quite impressive ...
personal opion for ur consideration

Tetrode said:
I still disagree. A cameras UI should be intuitive - I'm sure you would not want to spend an hour learning how to drive a car that you just hired, likewise, one shouldn't have to spend hours leafing over the manual to learn the controls of a camera esp if one has been in photography for a while. You want to just get in there and use it.

Also - the thing with Canon is that they tend to change their UI with each new model the bring out (with the exception of their pro models) and the 350D's UI doesn't match that of the others in the range. Some of their models are a breeze to learn how to use, others like the 350D aren't.

Nikon tends to maintain their UI over a couple of generations but even then, their interfaces are rather intuitive and easy to learn. There have been some exceptions however - like the F70 which was a disaster in interface design.

Well this is my first Canon and all I can say is, coming from the Nikon camp, it didn't take me very long(as I said, less than 1 hour overall) to find what I needed. Everything's labeled as it should be and didn't pose a problem, not one bit. So I'd say interface-wise, the 350D feels fine for me. I've tried a 10D and it's also pretty good, ditto the 30D though I must say I haven't had much time with the 30D to really give a fair comment.

As for Nikon D70, haven't tried it but have tried a friend's D50 and again it's the same, doesn't take me too long to get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.