350D mirror clearning with cotton swab and cleaning fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutabor

Jun 24, 2005
Singapore
mutaborphoto.com
Guys... tell me that didn't spoil my mirror?! I was stupid to try to use a cotton swab with one drop of cleaning fluid and try to clean my 350D's mirror. And after that I read that the mirror is supposed to have some coation (I didn't know that).
Tell me is it ok or the mirror is now spoiled and will have to replace it. I tried to take some photos.. they look ok.. but it's dark now.. so I'm not sure... :dunno:

No worry, u didn't spoilt the mirror. But it is not advisable to clean :nono: it with liquid.
If your mirror is dusty jus user a blower to blow it. Luckily, u didn't touch the sensor. :bsmilie: If u still think that u had done some harm to your 350D, bring it back to the service centre to inspect.

Hmm I think theres some sort of coating on the mirror so thats why most people advise against cleaning it directly.

n0d3 said:
Hmm I think theres some sort of coating on the mirror so thats why most people advise against cleaning it directly.
Yep.. I read about that after I did cleaning :( Will go to Canon service center tomorrow.. want to know for sure if the mirror ok or not. Will they charge me for checking it?

mutabor said:
Guys... tell me that didn't spoil my mirror?! I

It's very unlikely that the solvent damages the mirror, but it's very easy to smear dirt all over the mirror this way and/or scratch it. Household cotton swabs intended for cosmetical use may also not be clean.

The mirror would have to be pretty badly damaged to have a noticeable effect on the functioning of the camera.

By the way guys, what cleansing liquid would you recommend? I heard some Kodak one is good.. but not sure how it's called

mutabor said:
By the way guys, what cleansing liquid would you recommend? I heard some Kodak one is good.. but not sure how it's called

Dun even think about it! I dun trust any brands anyway as far as mirrors are concerned. Thats juz me.

Y do u need to clean it in the first place? I've had experience with film cameras for a few years and never once they needed cleaning. they are still as reflective as when bought brand new.

I dunno the reason.. but the advice I follow is dun touch the mirror though it wont affect your image. If it aint broken dun fix it! If really need to, the Service Centre is the place to go.

As u said there might be coating, but I should think it's so delicate you will scratch it. My guess is, there are prob some microfine scratches on your mirror already (may not be easy to see with naked eye) since you used a cotton swab. The swab has a small area and hence pressure may be too great than necessary.

For your sensor? Try Eclipse solution, do a search on the forum. And Pec Pads to go along with it.

no no, I was asking about a cleansing liquid for lenses!
I'm never going to touch the mirror again. I was just stupid... it's my first DSLR. I saw some dust and wanted to make it perfectly clear, silly me.

Guys,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the mirror onlu reflects the light into the viewfinder. I will NOT affect the quality of the image right? Or does it affect other aspects of the operation of the camera? (eg.: focussing?)

mutabor said:
no no, I was asking about a cleansing liquid for lenses!
I'm never going to touch the mirror again. I was just stupid... it's my first DSLR. I saw some dust and wanted to make it perfectly clear, silly me.

Don't even bother using cleaning liquids for your lenses. Just huff on the lens to get some condensation there and just clean with lens tissue or a lintfree micro fibre cloth.

Canew said:
Guys,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the mirror onlu reflects the light into the viewfinder. I will NOT affect the quality of the image right? Or does it affect other aspects of the operation of the camera? (eg.: focussing?)

It shouldn't affect the final outcome of the image as it only reflects light back into the viewfinder. It may affect focusing though, not too sure.

Just came back from service centre.. they said the mirror is in perfect condition.. such a relief :cool:

hi all, I'm very new here and just like to say that threads like this are so helpful to beginners like us. thanks !

mutabor said:
By the way guys, what cleansing liquid would you recommend?

I won't recommend it for liability reasons, but I'm quite happy with methanol. Isopropanol also isn't bad, but takes longer to evaporate (which increases the risk of droplets going where you don't want them).

Status
Not open for further replies.