350D Kit lens question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanquish75

Mar 31, 2007
Hi all,

just wanna check, for those who own a 350D kit, what is the default lens that comes with it? Izit an EF-S 18-55mm or an EF-S 18-55mm MkII??

Thanks!

Hi all,

just wanna check, for those who own a 350D kit, what is the default lens that comes with it? Izit an EF-S 18-55mm or an EF-S 18-55mm MkII??

Thanks!

MkII. Canon states that the changes between both variants are purely aesthetic, and optical performance of both lenses are identical.

But still the MKII would likely be a newer lens... I bought a 350D from a fellow CSer and he told me that the EF-S 18-55mm was the standard lens even when I questioned if it should be a MKII instead... :( :( :(

But still the MKII would likely be a newer lens... I bought a 350D from a fellow CSer and he told me that the EF-S 18-55mm was the standard lens even when I questioned if it should be a MKII instead... :( :( :(

It's just a slight change of length of the zoom ring. The MkII zoom ring's rubber area is shorter by 2mm than the MkI. Optics-wise, they're exactly the same.

Why fuss over a mk1 or mk2???Not like one is USM and one is not. I know earlier batch of 350D is paired with the MK1 kit lens...

Actually the MK II was launched as the kit lens for 350d so all 350d kit lenses are MK II. MK I is the 300d's kit lens.

Actually the MK II was launched as the kit lens for 350d so all 350d kit lenses are MK II. MK I is the 300d's kit lens.

I guess, some shops might have swap the kit lens then. I know of some friends who had the Mk1 version as kit lens. humm...., but back to the question again, what is the diff between the 2? Both function identical to each other. Same Image quality,same AF speed....

Why fuss over a mk1 or mk2???Not like one is USM and one is not. I know earlier batch of 350D is paired with the MK1 kit lens...

Nothing but for the sense of being cheated... he mentioned he's using a 300D and I guess he might have swopped the lens... He told me the 300D is a EF 18-55mm and the 350D is a EF-S 18-55mm... :(

Even if the lens have not real differences... no need to trick me mah... damn sian... :(

Nothing but for the sense of being cheated... he mentioned he's using a 300D and I guess he might have swopped the lens... He told me the 300D is a EF 18-55mm and the 350D is a EF-S 18-55mm... :(

Even if the lens have not real differences... no need to trick me mah... damn sian... :(

300D is EFs also. Anyway no diff the both the lens.

care to pm me this fella's name so that i can avoid dealing with him in the future?

Yes, optically no difference, but the Mk I is older than the Mk II. Although resale price wise, there should not be very much difference for this kit lens but gotta admit, it may be easier to sell the Mk II than the Mk I. BTW, bro.. I got the 18-55mm Mk II USM that my friend was looking for. I understand the USM version is different and was never a kit lens, true?

IIRC, when i had my 350D the kit lens was a MK II... but seriously it doesn't matter. the seller's ethics are questionable, but the lens performs the same, whether it's MK I or II...

mine was the MK1 version when I bought 350D last aug

Now I'm wondering if the lens is a MKII but was changed out by the shop?? Just a guess... :sweat: :sweat:

Yes, optically no difference, but the Mk I is older than the Mk II. Although resale price wise, there should not be very much difference for this kit lens but gotta admit, it may be easier to sell the Mk II than the Mk I.

Yup... that's exactly the way I feel... if I sell the Kit lens, it would move faster being a MKII... which is why abit sad the way it turned out... :(

care to pm me this fella's name so that i can avoid dealing with him in the future?

Actually dun intend to name the seller as I'm not trying to mar his reputation... more of wanting to find out the truth....

BTW, bro.. I got the 18-55mm Mk II USM that my friend was looking for. I understand the USM version is different and was never a kit lens, true?

the USM version is paired with japanese bodies, to be sold in japan only. =)

not that much great of optical difference, but AF speed is slightly faster, and quieter. nothing impressively fast thou, cos it's still micro-motor USM. =)

Ah so... Thanks for the info.

No diff btw them both( i happened to have both in my dry cab), but TS, being concerned over 2nd worth would rather have the later version as buyer generally would prefer a younger lens.

Still, there is not cause for concern yet as it is a very cheap lens, price diff probably $10?

Status
Not open for further replies.