350D/400D vs D70s/D80 OR 30D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cire07

Aug 28, 2006
Jurong West
Good evening pple,

Small dilemma i'm facing... currently looking for my 1st D-SLR...

Was looking at 350D, then heard 400D came out... went to see 350D today, didn't really like it as it felt too small in my hand, uncomfortable when holding it... think 400D is abt the same size... nearly identical if i'm not wrong... so not too keen on either one at the moment, even with the battery grip it still felt "off"...

I held the D70s as well, much better ergonomics... feels "bulkier"... "better"... but that's a pretty old model yeah? I know the D80 is also out... but haven't seen it yet...

What's the key difference between Nikon and Canon? I mean, what's the pulling point for each brand? CMOS vs CCD? Noise control? ISO? Shutter speed? etc etc...

I always have had a soft-spot for Canon, cos of my AE-1... handed down to me from my dad... was struggling between the Canon brand vs Nikon's good ergonomical feel... THEN the saleman placed a Canon 30D in my hands... TAAA-DAAHHH... solved, good "bulky feeling and the familiar Canon brand...

Then realised the 30D busted my 2k budget... basket... Anyone can offer any useful advice? Point me in the right direction? Dun think i'll consider the 350D/400D... more likely 30D vs Nikon's D70s/D80... but need to justify either the 30D's price OR the switch over to Nikon brand...

Guys?/Gals?

Thanks!
Eric :dunno:

theres been more canon v nikon threads on this forum... than i care to count.. suggest your search, read up more, google the net for canon v nikon reviews.. check out the reviews also on www.dpreview.com then come back here with more specific answers if you still have any questions.

jdredd said:
theres been more canon v nikon threads on this forum... than i care to count.. suggest your search, read up more, google the net for canon v nikon reviews.. check out the reviews also on www.dpreview.com then come back here with more specific answers if you still have any questions.

Oh wow... thanks for ur help!

cire07 said:
Oh wow... thanks for ur help!

Personally, I'll take the 30D over the D70s, but for affordability and performance, I'll take the 400D + grip

Since you are not willing to go for the 30D, how about the predecessor, the 20D, just a little less features and just as solid.

JediForce4ever said:
Since you are not willing to go for the 30D, how about the predecessor, the 20D, just a little less features and just as solid.

But more expensive brand new.! :nono:

Thanks for the helpful replies...

Is the 20D still avail? Didn't see it in the shops today...

I'll keep that in mind and hunt for it a bit.

Thanks!
Eric

The 20D is more expensive than the 30D?

I thought the 30D was to replace the 20D?

Speaking from own experience, I will say if you can fork out the extra $300 - $400 go for the 30D. D70s/D80 is a good entry level DSLR but if you want to save yourself from buying a second body for upgrade purposes, I'll say get the mid-range Canon 30D.

As for Canon vs Nikon, I would say you can't compare. It all boils down to how it feels when you have the camera in your own hands. I have shot on a D70 before and now own a 30D. I bought Canon as the auto-focus speed was much more suited to my requirements and needs. CMOS vs CCD, again it's a matter of preference as both still deliver good results.

Just a point for you to ponder - my friend shot on a 30D for the "Life Is Great" photo competition and got 2nd prize. The first prize went to a picture taken with a PnS camera. Moral of story, it's never about the equipment...

Hope you'll be able to make up your mind and take great photos!

Thanks... I like that.

Its the photographer who makes more leverage on the photo huh?

Agreed...

Cheers,
Eric

cire07 said:
The 20D is more expensive than the 30D?

I thought the 30D was to replace the 20D?

Yes, it was. But Canon marketed the 30D at a lower price than the 20D.

As quoted from Canon web:
"EOS 20D SGD 2969

EOS 30D SGD 2669 promo
"

i suggest you get a 2nd hand 20D. feel everything there.

well if you cant get a 2nd hand, i suggest 400D and grip. i am going to do that too.

My Advice ... go Camerashop TEST TEST TEST

Decide for yourself ... just too much advice alone is not gonna help you until you try it yourself. Don't judge a book by its cover, mty friend :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.