340 MB IBM Microdrive, isit worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poseidon

Mar 15, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi,
got an offer for 6 mths old MD (340MB) for $200, isit worth it? Just asking for opinion of the big bros here...

Thanks beforehand

Originally posted by poseidon
Hi,
got an offer for 6 mths old MD (340MB) for $200, isit worth it? Just asking for opinion of the big bros here...

Thanks beforehand

Get the DSCM series. They are less power hungry. The original DMDM series are well known as power vampires.

nope, I bought 2 before,
one for 180, the other even cheaper, hence I would say, 160 a fair price.

At the prices the 340mb microdrives are at now, you're better off spending slightly more and getting the 256mb Compact Flash cards.

i can get a new one for $180 only so $140 would be a better price. also the 2nd generation MD are much better, this 340MB might be the 1st gen which had access problem & makes a lot of noise. i once tried out one with my Canon S20 then immediately sold it off, not worth it. the 2nd gen MD, the 1GB ones, access speeds are much better than CF cards.

Originally posted by TheZard
i can get a new one for $180 only so $140 would be a better price. also the 2nd generation MD are much better, this 340MB might be the 1st gen which had access problem & makes a lot of noise. i once tried out one with my Canon S20 then immediately sold it off, not worth it. the 2nd gen MD, the 1GB ones, access speeds are much better than CF cards.

Not necessary so. A lot still depends on the camera. The controller has a very big part to play in it.

Originally posted by Richard

Not necessary so. A lot still depends on the camera. The controller has a very big part to play in it.

i did a 'back to back' trial by 'moving' files from the camera to the PC then back. then i used a CFII reader. result is the 340MB is not much of a neat gadget. maybe i'm too demanding. but that time i only use a 128MB CF & just moved a few tiff files, i know, its not fair comparison but i don't really like IBM.

there's also some reviews from dpreview & Steve's digicam abt the IBM MDs, but i had missed the links.

That's not a fair comparison to make. You may as well say that the Compact flash is faster in sliding across a floor than a microdrive.

The point is, no one cares that much about transferring pictures. They care a lot more about the writing speed when it's inside a camera, not when it's in a laptop or cardreader.

By the way, you were talking about transfer speeds right?

Status
Not open for further replies.