330 vs Sony R1 Live View

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
How does the 330 live view compared to the Sony?
If I were to get the 330, I would prefer to use the LCD instead of the viewfinder.

Sony got Live View?

The LCD display of any P&S digicam is Live-View. Sony R-1 is just a very expensive P&S digicam. ;)

Sorry, I mistaken the comparison of E330 to Sony Alpha...

The olympus live view isn't as good as the sony.

Sony R1 is able to show u the exactly how the final image looks like while u're composing the shots. Live histrogram are also shown. This is what 'live' really means.

On the other hand, the e-330 live-view seems to be a technology from yesteryears during the early days of digicam.

Nevertheless, i got myself a e-330 to play play. The instruction manul is very superfical and I need more details. I'm now charging the battery which will take 5 hours!!!!!!!! What The Fish, why is it taking soooooo bloody long to charge the battery?!

hahahahaa!!!! yeah! 5 hours :p ....

u can buy the pro battery charger to charge in 2(?) hours

Sony R1's LCD display is just like those of any other P&S digicams'. Most can show the corrected colours after setting the WB. It is actually worse than many of the newer 2.5" and 3" LCD screens since it is so small and of such low resolution and low frame rate. Can't believe that Sony would put a better LCD screen on their T30 than on their flagship digicam. :(

While it would be a bonus if the E-330 can show the correct colours live, I have never even once miss not having this feature since I shoot in RAW all the time and will correct the colours anyway during RAW processing. Even if I were to shoot in jpeg, I would still carry out colour correction since there is not one digicam or DSLR in the world that could produce images with perfect colour accuracy at all the WB settings, at least not to my satisfaction anyway.

So I use the Live-View of the E-330 as it was meant to be used - for framing and composing shots at odd angles and positions that would be difficult or impossible for non-Live-View DSLRs to do without the photographer twisting himself into a pretzel or crawling around on the ground on his belly. I'm sure that once you start using the E-330 this way, you would be so absorbed with this newfound freedom that I don't think it would even cross your mind that the colours were slightly off. ;)

Don't feel like installing the olympus software on my computer just to get the latest firmware update.

Can i walk in to olympus showroom and get them to update my firmware for the e-330?

weekh said:
Don't feel like installing the olympus software on my computer just to get the latest firmware update.

Can i walk in to olympus showroom and get them to update my firmware for the e-330?
Best to install the Olympus Master software as it is used to update not just your camera's firmware but those of the E-System accessories like lenses, teleconverter, extension tube, flashes, etc as well.

Does your new E-330 come with the latest firmware version - the one that allows you to autofocus in Live-View Mode B?

I don't know man... the bloody battery is still charging like a snail!!!!

How long can the battery last??? I hope it last for ever and ever and ever just like its charging time.

5 hrs is quite long to charge even for a new battery as nowadays, the battery of a brand new camera is seldom completely empty straight out of the box. The led colour will turn green when the battery is fully charged. Is yours still red?

tomcat said:
5 hrs is quite long to charge even for a new battery as nowadays, the battery of a brand new camera is seldom completely empty straight out of the box. The led colour will turn green when the battery is fully charged. Is yours still red?

mine must be an old set cos the battery is totally flat out of the box.

weekh said:
mine must be an old set cos the battery is totally flat out of the box.
oooh.. then you really must check your firmware version liao. The latest firmware version for the body is 1.2

Any idea where can i get a better instuction manual?

Lots of the things in the menu isn't explained in the basic instruction manul..... ;(

ic...
just a quick one... how do i use the AFL/AEL?
I suppose they are the auto focus lock and auto exposure lock....

weekh said:
ic...
just a quick one... how do i use the AFL/AEL?
I suppose they are the auto focus lock and auto exposure lock....
By default, for the S-AF focussing mode, when shutter is pressed halfway, you get AEL & AFL (focussing and exposure are locked), and the AEL/AFL button is set for AEL (meaning that if you want to lock the exposure settings as that at a particular position in the frame, you press and hold the AEL/AFL button and then recompose.

This AEL/AFL button can also be reconfigured to be AFL by going into the Menu and scroll down to the Spanner1 sub-menu and then the AEL/AFL function.
You can select different combinations for each of the focussing modes of S-AF, C-AF and MF
If this is not too clear, you could go to pg 106-107 of the advanced manual to take a look.

For me, the default configuration is the most familiar and logical one and so I never changed it.

weekh said:
The olympus live view isn't as good as the sony.

Sony R1 is able to show u the exactly how the final image looks like while u're composing the shots. Live histrogram are also shown. This is what 'live' really means.

On the other hand, the e-330 live-view seems to be a technology from yesteryears during the early days of digicam.

Nevertheless, i got myself a e-330 to play play. The instruction manul is very superfical and I need more details. I'm now charging the battery which will take 5 hours!!!!!!!! What The Fish, why is it taking soooooo bloody long to charge the battery?!

Well, yes, it's better to have the liveview reflecting the actual image but if it doesn't just take it as the optical viewfinder. We don't see the actual exposure nor the WB from the optical viewfinder anyway. So, just treat it as an extra large optical viewfinder that's tiltable for composition.

ykkok said:
Well, yes, it's better to have the liveview reflecting the actual image but if it doesn't just take it as the optical viewfinder. We don't see the actual exposure nor the WB from the optical viewfinder anyway. So, just treat it as an extra large optical viewfinder that's tiltable for composition.

I'm preferring the live-view over optical viewfinder and that's why I'm getting the e-330!
I will be using the lcd most of the time and only on certain occassion will I use the optical vf. Hope that one day the lcd can be so good that it completely replace the optical vf. I just don't like to cover my face and view the world with one eye.

weekh said:
I'm preferring the live-view over optical viewfinder and that's why I'm getting the e-330!
I will be using the lcd most of the time and only on certain occassion will I use the optical vf. Hope that one day the lcd can be so good that it completely replace the optical vf. I just don't like to cover my face and view the world with one eye.

Your points are valid. But the issue is, E-330 is trying to retain DSLR's optical viewfinder and add in Liveview. The Sony R1 has no mirror ! The sensor's optical path is always opened.

E-330 strive very hard to retain SLR's style.
The focusing is still done on the focusing screen rather then relying on livefeed video.

R1 is digicam style, feeding the sensor the moment you switch on.

Let's hope Olympus can fine tune their firmware to include those Live feature you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.