$30k for my wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
One month before my wedding, my mum gave me a bank book(join account between my mum and me).

She said, ".. what is inside is all yours"

I was surprised to find $30k(My monthly coffee money to her plus top up from her) in the bank acct.

I did not utter a word(I wasn't too happy then) when she asked for more but now I realised it was force saving for me.

.... sorry and thank you mum (although I did not spend a single cent.)

congratulations.

Good saving. Ever dollar counts for wedding... I never had this fortune cause family not well off. I work my butt off to raise money for wedding.

Grats...
That's a touching story
And thanks
I just called my mom

Man, your mum truly loves you. Treasure her please ;)

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

a mother will go through hell and back just to see to her kids' welfare :thumbsup:

to TS, you better do something special for her on Mother's Day.

u make me miss my mom

I was surprised to find $30k(My monthly coffee money to her plus top up from her) in the bank acct.

congrats!

since you have at least 30K worth of savings and are presumably below 35, jeanie likes you! :bsmilie: :angel:

Your obligation is not to touch that 30K and pass it back to her when she need that most during old age. Dont risk it with investment etc. OK may be only invest like 5K and leave the rest as near cash (government T-bill) or FD. She will be happy if she need money later that you keep it for her instead of using it.

I had earmarked 10K for my mum and tell her that it is her coffin-money (it is a tradition in our family to have that, I think it is started by my great grandmother who live till age 95).

I have been a member for a while - but have not been active in posting. However your thread here is interesting and hence i am jumping in. I have been married for about 13 years now - and am still happilly married.

I am not sure if you already have someone in mind - but i want to say that marriage is a journey...and the wedding is just only the beginning. The wedding itself will not be longer than a day - but the marriage last for a lifetime...

So, what i trying to say here is that - this $30k is good headstart to start your own family and I would strongly encourage you to invest wisely since you are still young!

Good luck!

One month before my wedding, my mum gave me a bank book(join account between my mum and me).

She said, ".. what is inside is all yours"

I did not utter a word(I wasn't too happy then) when she asked for more but now I realised it was force saving for me.

.... sorry and thank you mum (although I did not spend a single cent.)

:thumbsup: All mum is the best.. Although i paid for my own wedding.. :bsmilie:

Hahaha odd enough, in our conversation, she asked me to buy an iron... to bring back for CNY
Guess I gotta go shopping after work :p

But yeah she offered her CPF money to me a few times already
Keep telling her that's her money, and I give her money too so in the end I'm giving her back her own money? Not particularly productive :lol:
I'm actually getting married too in a few months time but have decided to forgo the banquet and everything else
It's. really. tough. deflecting. all. the. questions. and. 'advice'.

Anyway, enough about me. This is Yappy's thread!
If you can guess, I'm not local. And I don't call home enough...
Thanks for the reminder. Truly.

Your obligation is not to touch that 30K and pass it back to her when she need that most during old age. Dont risk it with investment etc. OK may be only invest like 5K and leave the rest as near cash (government T-bill) or FD. She will be happy if she need money later that you keep it for her instead of using it.

I had earmarked 10K for my mum and tell her that it is her coffin-money (it is a tradition in our family to have that, I think it is started by my great grandmother who live till age 95).

U are right. I am thinking:

1. Keep the $$ and give it to her when she needs it most. Anyway, I had asked her to keep the bank book.(hee hee... I think I would have more eventually. In the meantime, I would continue to top it up as I had started a standing order thru GIRO)

2. Open an account with my children and force them to save and do what my mom had done.

If you had not done so. Start it now with your children.. it is perfectly alright to start small!

Hahaha odd enough, in our conversation, she asked me to buy an iron... to bring back for CNY
Guess I gotta go shopping after work :p

But yeah she offered her CPF money to me a few times already
Keep telling her that's her money, and I give her money too so in the end I'm giving her back her own money? Not particularly productive :lol:
I'm actually getting married too in a few months time but have decided to forgo the banquet and everything else
It's. really. tough. deflecting. all. the. questions. and. 'advice'.

Anyway, enough about me. This is Yappy's thread!
If you can guess, I'm not local. And I don't call home enough...
Thanks for the reminder. Truly.

Good for you to share. Let's have more 'HAPPY STORIES.........'

Good saving. Ever dollar counts for wedding... I never had this fortune cause family not well off. I work my butt off to raise money for wedding.

If you have the mean now start the it now... not too late

Status
Not open for further replies.