300D reach 10k mark will have shutter death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLiNcHY

Mar 15, 2002
Visit site
I was reading dpreview forums and read that some people have experienced shutter deaths and error messages just after they reached the 10k picture mark.

This worries me greatly. I'm at the 9663 mark already!

This probably doesn't occur with every 300D but just the report of this problem troubles me.

My 300 D cant die at 10000 shots, i still have 100's of thousands more to take!!

can always replace the shutter rite? :think:

FLiNcHY said:
I was reading dpreview forums and read that some people have experienced shutter deaths and error messages just after they reached the 10k picture mark.

This probably doesn't occur with every 300D but just the report of this problem troubles me.

My 300 D cant die at 10000 shots, i still have 100's of thousands more to take!!

I've read it somewhere that if your 300D is still under warranty, they will replace the shutter for you FOC.

FLiNcHY said:

nah.. i thnk that's bs..

i believe your camera shld still be under warranty? to test for yourself why not take another 337 shots and if the shutter malfunction after that you can get it replaced by Canon..

btw, how did u knw exactly you're at 9663 mark already?

overrated public percerption. there is a mtbf (mean time between failure rating) for any mechanical part and the 300d's shutter is abnormally above any statistically significant point.

ask yourself, how many 300D owners on dpreview and how many with problems

ask yourself how many 300D owners in the world and how many with problems. and do those who don't have problems go post on dpreview to say "my camera is perfectly ok for my needs everyday"

basically its a squeaky wheel gets the grease syndrome.

some will failure and all will failure EVENTUALLY, just get it replaced.

A friend of mine has shot more 50k shots with his Oly C2100uz and it is still running fine. I don't see why 300D will fail that fast.

xmen2003 said:
A friend of mine has shot more 50k shots with his Oly C2100uz and it is still running fine. I don't see why 300D will fail that fast.

The C2100UZ and 300D don't have the same grounds for comparison, the 300D uses a mechanical shutter that the C2100UZ doesn't.

10,000 cycles seems to be a really, really short lifespan for what is essentially an EOS-10D clothed in plastic, not magnesium. If this problem becomes widespread, it probably can be inferred that inferior materials were used to make the shutter. However, I don't think that is likely.

Its rather impractical to fret about shutter life cycle - its like sitting around each and every day rueing that you're one day closer to your deathbed. Rather, just keep shooting as you always have, when the shutter fails, repair or replace the camera. If the D30/60/10D series are anything to go by, it should cost less than $200, perhaps you should consider shutter replacement part of the running cost of owning and using a DSLR.

r32 said:
The C2100UZ and 300D don't have the same grounds for comparison, the 300D uses a mechanical shutter that the C2100UZ doesn't.

10,000 cycles seems to be a really, really short lifespan for what is essentially an EOS-10D clothed in plastic, not magnesium. If this problem becomes widespread, it probably can be inferred that inferior materials were used to make the shutter. However, I don't think that is likely.

Its rather impractical to fret about shutter life cycle - its like sitting around each and every day rueing that you're one day closer to your deathbed. Rather, just keep shooting as you always have, when the shutter fails, repair or replace the camera. If the D30/60/10D series are anything to go by, it should cost less than $200, perhaps you should consider shutter replacement part of the running cost of owning and using a DSLR.

Hi R32, care to enlighten more abt the shutter used? So why dun DSLRs use the types that C2100uz since it appears to be long lasting. Thanks. :)

Shutter replacement for 10D is around $200. So if 300D is indeed made up inferior shutter mechanism, then you will be expected to pay less. :D

xmen2003 said:
Hi R32, care to enlighten more abt the shutter used? So why dun DSLRs use the types that C2100uz since it appears to be long lasting. Thanks. :)

C2100UZ, like most other non-SLR digital cameras, don't have a mechanical shutter to expose and cover the CCD, it should be an electronic "shutter" that energizes the panel for a split second as dictated by the pre-set shutter speed. Why do I say "should"? Because I don't have a C-2100UZ.

In contrast, a DSLR-type of camera follows regular film cameras in having a mechanical shutter to cover the light collecting medium (whether film or CCD/CMOS), till the shutter release is tripped. I did however read about certain DSLRs that use an electronic shutter to achieve ultra-high shutter speeds that a mechanical shutter can't reach.

I don't know why these electronic shutters aren't commonplace on DSLR though. Perhaps it has something to do with its light metering system (since a DSLR's image sensor isn't continually activated the way a digital camera's image sensor is so that it can produce a preview image on the LCD screen). Perhaps some tech experts can help out here.

difference btw the olympus and the 300d:

300d is called a digital SLR for a reason. SLR's have a moving mirror. the olympus has no mechanical mirror. so what's there to wear other than the aperture blades/mechanism itself?

There are many p&s which have mechanical shutters too in addition to electronic shutters. Basically what i know is that the mech kicks in for the lower speeds and electronic kicks in for the higher ones. Even dSLRs like D70 use this.

But main thing is that SLRs have mirror systems, that's how you get the mirror slap (ie more movement and wear + tear). You will never get that kind of click in a p&s.

Why the discussion to viewfinders instead? :sweat:
P&S digicams and DSLRs simply use different viewfinder mechanisms and concepts. It's pretty moot comparing the technology used in both.

My best guess why DSLRs don't use a 'live' preview is that it will require a radical change to the viewfinder mechanism and add unnecessary cost. Nobody buys a DSLR expecting to rely on a 'live' preview on an LCD (erm, well, not "nobody", seeing some posts here asking otherwise) when a simple bunch of mirrors and prisms can do the job.

Back to the topic: shutter failure, just change it...no big deal? All camera parts, mechanical or electronic, will fail eventually.

actually i did called Canon on Monday and the technician did told me the shutter life of the 300D is 10K. Well, i believe u can change the shutter before the warranty is over.

And what r32 has said is true too, even if the shutter life is only 10K, we shouldnt fret abt it right? I mean, do you start to get worried now that you'll die 50years down to road? :D keke...just an analogy..

Btw, how do we chk the shutter life ?

Just wondering is there such a thing where before our warranty ends, we can just go and replace the shutter even though it haven't died? man.. that means every single shot we shoot brings the camera nearer to it's death! :bigeyes: :thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.