300D or D70??

Status
Not open for further replies.

elninowt

Jul 20, 2004
Hi Guys,

Currently own a Exlim Pro. Looking to go up to a Digital SLR. Confused between to 300D and the D70. Prefer the D70. but the price is a huge detering factor. Anyone out there have any advice on which is a better choice?

Thanks
Dennis

elninowt said:
Hi Guys,

Currently own a Exlim Pro. Looking to go up to a Digital SLR. Confused between to 300D and the D70. Prefer the D70. but the price is a huge detering factor. Anyone out there have any advice on which is a better choice?

Thanks
Dennis

Hi

Take the D70 :thumbsup: Value for your $.

Go for the D70 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . If price is too great for a new D70, try look 4 a 2nd hand one. They are practically brand new but at lower prices.

mmmm.. but how much real world difference is there?? and the lenses?? i understand that the Nikon kit lense is much better than the canon kit lense... but is the 300D comparable if its equiped with a better lense?

elninowt said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Dennis
Maybe u would like to consider the "System" rather then just a particular model of camera. Cos for DSLR, u need to buy extra accessories like lenses, flash light, etc. Go for the System that can provide u ur needs. (FYI, Nikon system is usually more expensive then Canon system.)

elninowt said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Dennis

what SLR have you used before and what lenses you have?
How about your phototgraphy friends, what do they use?

Why is the Canon system cheaper than the Nikon system? Is it because there are more third party lenes for the Canon body?

if you have no preference for either system, go for the Nikon D7 which is better body with more features than the Canon 300D. I'm a 300D user.

pls dun go and buy a DSLR if u have no intention to pursue it seriously? far too often we have heard of stories of people buying DSLR, thinking dat a stylo-mylo cam will make them instantly an excellent photographer. far from it. more likely, the DSLR will show up how bad u & me are as photographers becos DSLR, IMO, are far less forgiving and P&S cams. once u buy and discover it doesn't make u an excellent photographer, u'll end up making a loss selling it later.

DLSR is a damn bloody expensive hobby. AlvicTay is right. u need to consider a system, rather than cams. i, as a canon user, like the D70 for its full functionality compared to the 300D (which is a dumbed down version of 10D). i sound almost almost like a canon heretic.... strange, but true, as any true blue 300D user will tell u. i briefly tested a D70 yesterday at a shoot with some frens. and i have to admit, the D70 is better in terms of functions. pic quality, both are similar. however, with PS nowadays, miracles can be performed... :bsmilie:

but, why i chose the 300D over D70? AlvicTay hits the nail on the head. i love the wide variety of lens available with Canon (not to say that Nikon has any lesser). the lens (3rd party or otherwise) for canon are slightly cheaper and easier to find as 2nd-hand, IMO. also, i love the almost-idiot proof layout and menu selections on 300D. trust me... i'm a living proof of proving anything idiot proof is NOT! :D

so, think carefully what u want to shoot, how often u want to shoot and how much are you willing to invest in ur hobby b4 buying? suggest u go to harvey norman or best to handle and test the cams first b4 commiting ur $$$. at the end of the day, it will more or less boil down to how comfortable u are with the cam. ;)

sinlg said:
Why is the Canon system cheaper than the Nikon system? Is it because there are more third party lenes for the Canon body?

It isn't. Someone on this forum did a quick rundown on prices for a typical range of lenses and accessories and the price ended up being roughly the same for both systems.

Wait for D300 MII.

I just bought a D70 for my hubby....
I support the BUY!!
Totally feel that it is a beautiful camera...
The FEEL is GREAT!!
I was also considering between 300D and D70...
choosen D70 coz the body is black in colour...
More PRO looking.....
REviews of the camera are GREAT too....
Check out nikon website.... :cheergal:

Well, you can't go wrong in choosing either camera / system. What is it you want out of the camera ?

There's not much to say that is not already said in the reviews for both cameras. In terms of image quality - both seem quite on par. The only main difference mentioned in most reviews between the cameras is that the D70 has a lot more features that give you the abililty to manually control every fine detail about your exposure etc. If you're the type of person who wants more control, the D70 may be a better choice.

A lot of it comes down to personal preferences on stuff like handling/ergonomics. Suggest you go and have a play with each camera and see which one feels right for you.

fattybombombom said:
I just bought a D70 for my hubby....
I support the BUY!!
Totally feel that it is a beautiful camera...
The FEEL is GREAT!!
I was also considering between 300D and D70...
choosen D70 coz the body is black in colour...
More PRO looking.....
REviews of the camera are GREAT too....
Check out nikon website.... :cheergal:
haha, silly fatty... the D70 does appear to be value for money, though, and frankly, i've heard too many good things about it from people who have it, it's impossible to ignore the fact that it might just be the One.

tingchiyen said:
haha, silly fatty... the D70 does appear to be value for money, though, and frankly, i've heard too many good things about it from people who have it, it's impossible to ignore the fact that it might just be the One.

Yippy... I got the RIGHT camera for HUBBY...
Now to to get him attend courses....
So that he will be able to take GOOD pictures of....
ME... ME..... ME..... and still ME.... :cheergal:

fattybombombom said:
So that he will be able to take GOOD pictures of....
ME... ME..... ME..... and still ME.... :cheergal:

Haha, better buy him a wide angle lens then :bsmilie:

Just kidding, dun kill me ok? ;p :D

Gymrat76 said:
Haha, better buy him a wide angle lens then :bsmilie:

Just kidding, dun kill me ok? ;p :D

YUP.... Maybe wide angle lenses is required
or else cannot fit the whole of me in it....
Anyway.... NICKS can be very MISleading....
Rahahahahaha.... :vhappy:

elninowt said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Dennis

hi Dennis, what is your budget? if you have only enough for the camera with kit lens, then its NOT enough! save some more money because there will be an endless array of stuff that you never ever dreamt that you buy to support your SYSTEM. try at least $3K- 3.5K to start off with. you need to buy spare batteries, spare memory, maybe a dry cabinet to store your investment......

did i mention other lenses yet? opps need a external flash? want a tripod? how a new powerful computer to go along with all these?

Status
Not open for further replies.